Re:Project 82 GPz750 12 Feb 2016 13:48 #710605

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621

GPzMOD750 wrote: Slow and steady.....

This is my $100 4-1 solution.

kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/599393-82-gpz...-replacement-options

At least with that muffler it's not blasting in your ear. I took my boxes off after that close call and MAN, I couldn't wait to put them back on.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Project 82 GPz750 01 Mar 2016 14:43 #713277

• GKBO
  • GKBO's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes
  • Thank you received: 10

Remember this "improved" air box cap?

Well I got a KZ 750 box just for the cap.Might be a bit worse for wear but you don't see it much ;)

An added bonus was 4 nice soft air box boots and the breather hose and it's grommet :woohoo:

It cleaned up nice!Have a new UNI filter on order :)

Project 82 GPz750 02 Mar 2016 07:58 #713426

• tri650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I am a fellow Gpz 750 owner and am about ready to wrap up my frame up restoration. Not totally stock as I had to update a few items. Hopefully I can fire up this weekend for the first time in 6 years I have some extra stock parts so if you are missing anything let me know. Also, i have an official shop manual that has a lot of good info I could not find elsewhere.

Good luck with the restore!

Project 82 GPz750 02 Mar 2016 17:03 #713526

• GKBO
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes

tri650 wrote: I am a fellow Gpz 750 owner and am about ready to wrap up my frame up restoration. Not totally stock as I had to update a few items. Hopefully I can fire up this weekend for the first time in 6 years I have some extra stock parts so if you are missing anything let me know. Also, i have an official shop manual that has a lot of good info I could not find elsewhere.

Good luck with the restore!

Well there's a few bigger bits I need,sending a PM.

Project 82 GPz750 08 Mar 2016 17:50 #714543

• GKBO
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes
Well the Uni filter came in,much nicer than the OEM IMHO

One spring and 2 1/8 inch ball bearings where keeping the carbs from being done. Found a spring and finally hit up the local bicycle shop for the bearings.One more thing ticked off the (long)list :woohoo:

Last edit: by GKBO.

Project 82 GPz750 21 Mar 2016 12:48 #716572

• GKBO
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes

With a "new" stanchion tube on it's way :woohoo: I decided it was time to clean up the lowers.Have a used swing arm pivot bolt coming from Germany of all places. :huh: Plan on getting the frame and swinger cleaned up today in preparation for a date with the media blaster ans a new coat of appliance "epoxy".

Project 82 GPz750 27 Mar 2016 22:03 #717709

• GKBO
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes

Getting on with some things I decided to take the handle bar pods apart.The horn lever on the right side seemed to be broken but once it was out the switch seems to be OK :blink: Going to take it apart to be sure.That pod seems to have been clear coated and that's flaking off.Used my buffer to try and get it off but it looks bad still.Hoping Back To black might help?

The right side pod was good with a cleaning but you can see the OFF<l RUN l> OFF lettering has not survived :ohmy: Thought white dry transfer lettering would be easy to get,a eBay search says not so much.Any suggestions on how to refresh my lettering?

Last edit: by GKBO.

Project 82 GPz750 27 Mar 2016 23:50 #717711

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
Model paints and a toothpick or a small brush with a small amount of paint and wipe off quickly.

Project 82 GPz750 28 Mar 2016 03:59 #717720

• GKBO
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes

GPzMOD750 wrote: Model paints and a toothpick or a small brush with a small amount of paint and wipe off quickly.

Are those things embossed on your GPz?My lettering is on flat surfaces.If they where embossed it would be easy.Engraving it with a dremel tool is a possibility but 1 slip would be really bad.

Project 82 GPz750 28 Mar 2016 06:16 #717723

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
Well crap, They are on the actual switches but not on the housing. Well. you know what they're for. ;)

Mine are going to be replaced shortly regardless. Besides being functional they are in about the same shape as yours.

Project 82 GPz750 28 Mar 2016 07:13 #717727

• tri650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I bought stickers from somewhere and then shot a coat of clear matt over the top. I ended up painting my switch housings a satin black as they were in bad shape. I will look through my receipts and see where I got the stickers. It was some vintage decal store. They weren't an exact match to the 82 but close enough.

Project 82 GPz750 28 Mar 2016 12:13 #717786

• GKBO
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes
After getting most of the clear off the left side I'm loathed to put ant on the right.I't's also funny that the HORN is still intact on the left but a simple washing swept the Off RUN OFF away :S Going to see if we might luck out at the local craft store having dry transfer lettering the right size in white.As it is now I'm not worrying about redoing the HORN.Figured out the horn switch was missing it's 2 1/8th inch ball bearings,now I'm REALLY glad the guy at the bicycle shop gave me 2 extra's.