Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Phoenix Fighter 05 Dec 2015 15:36 #702056

• kaw-a-holic
  • kaw-a-holic's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
Well crap, I'm back to the drawing board. The bike is dangerously low. Have already scrapped my header. I will have to find longer forks or find someone to machine a 2" drop triple. RS36 carbs are just way to much carb. I'm pretty bummed.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Phoenix Fighter 05 Dec 2015 16:19 #702059

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972

kaw-a-holic wrote: Well crap, I'm back to the drawing board. The bike is dangerously low. Have already scrapped my header. I will have to find longer forks or find someone to machine a 2" drop triple. RS36 carbs are just way to much carb. I'm pretty bummed.

Check with Les Holt or Leon for custom triples

Les Made these for me.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:

Phoenix Fighter 05 Dec 2015 16:32 #702060

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2627
What makes you say the carbs are too big?
Steve

Phoenix Fighter 05 Dec 2015 18:04 #702071

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

Street Fighter LTD wrote:

kaw-a-holic wrote: Well crap, I'm back to the drawing board. The bike is dangerously low. Have already scrapped my header. I will have to find longer forks or find someone to machine a 2" drop triple. RS36 carbs are just way to much carb. I'm pretty bummed.

Check with Les Holt or Leon for custom triples

Les Made these for me.

That is exactly who I planned on talking to. Hopefully his new shop is up and running.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Phoenix Fighter 05 Dec 2015 18:14 #702073

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

swest wrote: What makes you say the carbs are too big?
Steve

They are running really rich. Les Holt told me they would be ridable, they are. You have to roll on the throttle. I met a guy here in Mesa that has been restoring and modifying KZs since they were new on the show room floor. We talked for a bit. He said that through dyno testing that the best all around performance he found was running BS34s with a stage 3 dyna jet kit. It's worth looking into. As for the forks. I think the best bet will be a custom triple with a 2" drop. If I'm going to go that far I might as well do a new bottom tree also so I can move the forks forward about an 1" to gain back some turning radius.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Phoenix Fighter 05 Dec 2015 18:17 #702074

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
Here are some of the bikes the guy I met today built or helped build when he owned the shop a couple of years ago.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
Attachments:

Phoenix Fighter 05 Dec 2015 18:38 #702078

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2627
Can you get some leaner emulsion tubes? I had to solder some of the holes to richen mine up. Or maybe a larger air bleed jet?
Steve

Last edit: by SWest.

Phoenix Fighter 05 Dec 2015 19:24 #702080

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664

kaw-a-holic wrote:

swest wrote: What makes you say the carbs are too big?
Steve

They are running really rich. Les Holt told me they would be ridable, they are. You have to roll on the throttle. I met a guy here in Mesa that has been restoring and modifying KZs since they were new on the show room floor. We talked for a bit. He said that through dyno testing that the best all around performance he found was running BS34s with a stage 3 dyna jet kit. It's worth looking into. As for the forks. I think the best bet will be a custom triple with a 2" drop. If I'm going to go that far I might as well do a new bottom tree also so I can move the forks forward about an 1" to gain back some turning radius.

adding and inch of fork offset is a lot. even a couple mm can have a big effect on handling. Not sure what your trail numbers are now but that much offset increase could easily put you in dangerous tank slapping territory. You're in good hands with Les, but i would for sure run down your geometry numbers before you commit to any custom triple dimensions

Phoenix Fighter 05 Dec 2015 23:06 #702083

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286

I know how you feel. Ive hit the exact same thing on my build. The bikes at the frame builders at the minute getting a twist taken out,I should get it back this week sometime,then Ive got to figure out what to do about it. I have been asking around and there are ways around it. A stepped yoke seems the most effective one stop solution but also the most expensive. Im looking for something cheap but safe..Ill let you know what I come up with. Keep your chin up.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Phoenix Fighter 06 Dec 2015 03:45 #702094

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
Les is a top notch fabricator , but more than just that he will run the math so you both will
know exactly what to expect from the changes to the bikes geometry.
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Phoenix Fighter 06 Dec 2015 04:15 #702096

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
On the forks, can you slide them down in the lower trees any? a lot of the newer stuff is tapered before and after where the lower tree clamps them so running just a gull-winged upper isn't possible but rather both upper and lower gull-winged have to be used. On the geometry, adding to the length will increase trail but not much, the newer frontend you're running has done more to increase trail with the lower offset trees.
On the carbs, they are usable but you can't wack that throttle or they will bog badly. 34's may be better suited. Did you buy these new? I have a new set of 34's going on a customers bike and he really needs larger, 1260 at 12.5 - 1 compression.
The shop is close! got insides almost done and I'll be opening it up to the other side this week. I managed to get 2 weeks off over christmas so the plans are to be out there getting organized.

Les

Phoenix Fighter 06 Dec 2015 06:24 #702107

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

les holt wrote: On the forks, can you slide them down in the lower trees any? a lot of the newer stuff is tapered before and after where the lower tree clamps them so running just a gull-winged upper isn't possible but rather both upper and lower gull-winged have to be used. On the geometry, adding to the length will increase trail but not much, the newer frontend you're running has done more to increase trail with the lower offset trees.
On the carbs, they are usable but you can't wack that throttle or they will bog badly. 34's may be better suited. Did you buy these new? I have a new set of 34's going on a customers bike and he really needs larger, 1260 at 12.5 - 1 compression.
The shop is close! got insides almost done and I'll be opening it up to the other side this week. I managed to get 2 weeks off over christmas so the plans are to be out there getting organized.

Les

The front end is off of a 98 GSXR 750. I was able to use the GSXR stem with a bearing conversion from All Ballz but it is a little shorter than I would like. If I'm going to spend the money on a custom tree it makes sense to use the old stem and stock bearings. The turning radius sucks so it would be nice to move the forks forward a bit. Or I could try and make a custom tank clearance for the forks.

As for the carbs, no I did not buy them new. Used and got a fair deal on them. They are in great condition. They were jetted rich when I got them. I have changed them back to stock settings but as you told me when I bought them you have to roll into them. I don't like it. I want to crack the throttle and go. I will email you and we can discuss dimensions, your availability and cost. I could have them done locally but would rather have someone with your KZ experience.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project