Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Phoenix Fighter 28 Nov 2015 16:18 #700997

• 79MKII
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
  • Thank you received: 43

kaw-a-holic wrote:

DoctoRot wrote: yeah the ratio of MC to caliper is super important.
www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

That article would have same me some money. Thank you for the info.

Great info there! Do you know what your ratios were, and what they are now? Just curious....
The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by 79MKII.

Phoenix Fighter 29 Nov 2015 05:05 #701040

• kaw-a-holic
  • kaw-a-holic's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248

79MKII wrote:

kaw-a-holic wrote:

DoctoRot wrote: yeah the ratio of MC to caliper is super important.
www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

That article would have same me some money. Thank you for the info.

Great info there! Do you know what your ratios were, and what they are now? Just curious....

I would have to measure the caliper pistons to figure it out. The front brake MC is 14mm, its cast into the bottom of it.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Phoenix Fighter 29 Nov 2015 05:14 #701042

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
That was supposed to be the hot set up. Mine is off a GPZ. It had duel binders, that's why I used it. Now I'm going to have to measure it unless the bore size is cast on the bottom. My brakes worked fine with the stock M/C but I read it was too small. If the fluid capacity is larger, it's not by much.
Steve

Phoenix Fighter 29 Nov 2015 05:51 #701049

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
As it turns out the pistons on the 89 Tokico calipers have 2 different sizes. 30mm trail 34mm lead pistons. That averages out to 32mm, which according to the chart gives me 10.45:1 ratio, not even close to the sweet spot. This is the stock setup for an 89 GSXR 75. What is not mentioned in the article is the weight of the vehicle the brakes are on. The GSXR has a dry weight of 429 lbs, my 77 KZ has an approximate dry weight of 525 lbs. If I am lucky I shaved 25 lbs. with the front and rear end swap. Right now all I can do is try the setup I have now and see how I like it.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Phoenix Fighter 29 Nov 2015 06:03 #701052

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Fingers crossed here. :dry:
Steve

Phoenix Fighter 29 Nov 2015 06:17 #701055

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 519
Very nice build! I see a "BOTM" candidate! Patience pays off! Love the 2 tone theme. Blue engine stands out with the shaved fins!
I did not go back and see the build yet, but, are the aluminum parts, engine covers painted or powder coated? Same with frame?
I have an idea (opinion) get another set of tank emblems and paint them the same silver.
Very nice! This will turn some heads!

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Phoenix Fighter 29 Nov 2015 06:24 #701057

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I was thinking some pin stripes on the front fender too to break it up a little. Didn't want to say anything and seem like I was trying to pick it apart. I'd know that bike anywhere. :woohoo:
Steve

Phoenix Fighter 29 Nov 2015 09:54 #701089

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664

kaw-a-holic wrote: As it turns out the pistons on the 89 Tokico calipers have 2 different sizes. 30mm trail 34mm lead pistons. That averages out to 32mm, which according to the chart gives me 10.45:1 ratio, not even close to the sweet spot. This is the stock setup for an 89 GSXR 75. What is not mentioned in the article is the weight of the vehicle the brakes are on. The GSXR has a dry weight of 429 lbs, my 77 KZ has an approximate dry weight of 525 lbs. If I am lucky I shaved 25 lbs. with the front and rear end swap. Right now all I can do is try the setup I have now and see how I like it.

Unfortunately if you have never gone down this road it is a bit of a guessing game, but that should get you in the ball park. Mike also mentions "Disc and wheel diameters, as well as hand lever ratios, must be considered." Also you can give him a ring, He is very knowledgeable and helpful. He helped me with my brake setup for my 1000 project; and he had a very reasonable deal on a brembo MC for me.

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

Phoenix Fighter 29 Nov 2015 20:26 #701182

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

z1kzonly wrote: Very nice build! I see a "BOTM" candidate! Patience pays off! Love the 2 tone theme. Blue engine stands out with the shaved fins!
I did not go back and see the build yet, but, are the aluminum parts, engine covers painted or powder coated? Same with frame?
I have an idea (opinion) get another set of tank emblems and paint them the same silver.
Very nice! This will turn some heads!

They are powder coated. What I picked was a color called Almost Chrome. The powder coater said he hated the color. I advised him that I did not expect it to be chrome rather semi-polished aluminum. This is not it. I would have made him redo it but at the time I thought I was still going to be able to get the bike together for the Rally in Colorado. Had I wanted silver I would have done metallic silver. I powder coated them so I would not have to polish them all the time. I will have to think about the emblems.

Steve- I thought about pin stripes on the fender but could not figure out a way that I liked them.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Phoenix Fighter 29 Nov 2015 20:27 #701184

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

DoctoRot wrote:

kaw-a-holic wrote: As it turns out the pistons on the 89 Tokico calipers have 2 different sizes. 30mm trail 34mm lead pistons. That averages out to 32mm, which according to the chart gives me 10.45:1 ratio, not even close to the sweet spot. This is the stock setup for an 89 GSXR 75. What is not mentioned in the article is the weight of the vehicle the brakes are on. The GSXR has a dry weight of 429 lbs, my 77 KZ has an approximate dry weight of 525 lbs. If I am lucky I shaved 25 lbs. with the front and rear end swap. Right now all I can do is try the setup I have now and see how I like it.

Unfortunately if you have never gone down this road it is a bit of a guessing game, but that should get you in the ball park. Mike also mentions "Disc and wheel diameters, as well as hand lever ratios, must be considered." Also you can give him a ring, He is very knowledgeable and helpful. He helped me with my brake setup for my 1000 project; and he had a very reasonable deal on a brembo MC for me.

Good to know, thanks Doc!
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Phoenix Fighter 30 Nov 2015 03:57 #701194

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I was thinking what you have on the tail. Hardly anything just to break it up a little. It looks fine now and those brakes, massive. :woohoo:
Steve

Phoenix Fighter 30 Nov 2015 06:35 #701203

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

swest wrote: I was thinking what you have on the tail. Hardly anything just to break it up a little. It looks fine now and those brakes, massive. :woohoo:
Steve

Yes the brakes should be a vast improvement over stock.

I plan on repainting in a couple of years. As we all know, these bikes are never "done".
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project