Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

now with SWINGARM TOO! 05 Mar 2007 20:42 #117619

• solomrus
  • solomrus's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
hmm, gonna have to tweek it a little bit. if i go with the extreme tail high attitude, the chain will rub quite a bit. if i drop that down an inch or two, it should be fine.

i just did a cursory check with some string, a 14t 630 front sprocket, and a 44t 520 rear sprocket. i have about 1/8".

we'll see how it goes when i get a little closer. i had some time tonight to do some cursory templates for the upper mount. it's not gonna be as cool as the way i wanted to do it, bit i can still make it work out pretty well.

thursday night i should have a little time to cut the rest of the stuff off that i need out of the way, and i am gonna try to get the lower pick up point at least tacked to the frame. that will give me more to play with up top, as i can set the bike on the ground that way to compare.

more pics in a few nights.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

now with SWINGARM TOO! 06 Mar 2007 08:46 #117710

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Thats looking absolutely awesome! I would have kept the turbo motor though if it was/is streetable:whistle: :evil:
I have a couple questions, 1 do you know how much the wheels weigh? I have heard that swapping out 12 wheels for zx10/636 wheels is a performance upgrade because they are lighter(not quite as good as magnesium or carbon fibre, but rims like that cost easily over a grand). I was thinking about trying it if there is a lot to be gained and a cheap set pops up on ebay. taking off 1 pound of rotating mass equals about 7-8 pounds of stationary mass so it adds up fast. 2 you seem to know a lot about swapping triples, so would you know if the 636 upper triple and clip ons would fit a 95 zx7 front end? the part numbers arent the same, but the parts look very similar, Im thinking the only difference is brackets/holes to mount the ignition switch. since Im not worried about that on my KZ, the only thing I need to know is if it will physically fit the forks (52mm) and stem. Im not sure about the spacing. thx a lot if you can help!
and yes get more pics up asap:P
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

now with SWINGARM TOO! 06 Mar 2007 10:05 #117745

• solomrus
  • User
8^) lots of questions, i'll answer what i can.

thanks for the props about the project. i really appreciate the enthusiasm you guys have for this thing. keeps me focused.

as far as weight of the wheels, i do not know off of the top of my head. www.riderforums.com, there are some guys on there that might know. i could use the bathroom scale and give you some general weights later on. let me know if those would help you some.

who can afford marchesini's or carbon wheels? just them eye-talian bike guys, if'n you ask me. 8^) cool? yes, quite, for me? not quite...

there are some UBER deals to be had for these wheels if you keep your eyes open. something of note: the zx-10r rear is 17x6 vs 17x5.5 on the 636. i got my front wheel with rotors, a good tire, and the front fender for 175.

hmm. assuming the tubes match, then the offset of the trees is what you need to know. if that is the same, then you could do it. i wish i could tell you for sure. in fact, i need to get out there and figure this myself. i am thinking that there might be a billet triple out there from a dirtbike that will allow me to install some fat bars. 8^)

if you want, send me your zx-7 top clamp, and i'll try to fit it on my bike. see if that works. send me a pic of it, and we'll know right quick if it's worth even trying.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

now with SWINGARM TOO! 06 Mar 2007 18:08 #117875

• 77KZ650
  • User
Ok, I thought that the 636 had 6 inch rim on the rear too(I guess I didnt bother to check), cross that off the list and stick with 10r searches :P thx. aftermarket wheels are just too much for me, a middle of the road upgrade for a fraction of the price is what Im after. If you could weight the front wheel with the rotors and tire I would appreciate it. no rush, I have a bunch of nitrous stuff to buy first before wheels:evil:
the main reason I want to know if the 636 triple would fit zx7 forks is because I cant find an upper zx7 triple, and want to widen my search again. (Im allready looking for every model that is a direct swap according to kawi):evil:
thx
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

now with SWINGARM TOO! 06 Mar 2007 21:46 #117965

• solomrus
  • User
hey, if you can get me some rough dimensions on that setup you need. such as what diameter the hole is for the top clamp(or measure the stem, metric is best). a kz1000 stem is 20mm at the top to fit the clamp. so is a 636 top clamp. bolt on with my setup.

then, i need to know how far apart the tubes are, on center, and take that centerline, and measure to the center of the hole for the stem.

so, somewhat like this ascii drawing.

0 distance between centers of fork tubes.
| distance from fork tube centerline tocenterof stem
0 stem

get me those numbers, and i should be able to tell you if the 636 is close. that would open up some possibilities for me as well.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

hey, russ, lighten up man! saw more parts off of your bike! 06 Mar 2007 22:00 #117968

• solomrus
  • User
had a cutting session tonight after the bambino went to bed.

wire, parts for you:

i cut off the tabs that held the rear inside fender, the brake line hoop, the mount for the factory brake pedal, and the factory cross piece for the battery box. 8^) if you can't make more power, lighten up! 8^)

sorry, it's late, i'm tarred. how about i skip the humor, and go with pics, cuz that's what you are all here for anyways. 8^)

this pic is of my tabs, and the cardboard pattern for the gusset. i need to make them a little shorter to pull the linkage up closer to the frame

and the tip for the wicked-cool exhaust... from a scavenged ducati muffler. 8^)

all of them pics at the link in a previous post. that is all for tonight.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

this bike is cool, but... 06 Mar 2007 22:07 #117970

• solomrus
  • User
mine is cooler!

psyche!

just an example of what i am going to do with that exhaust tip... just gonna use the end of it, with the rolled lip, and a couple inches back. that flange will be gone.

the bassani header that i have ends just before the swingarm cutout that the 636 uses for the undertail exhaust system. i might make a couple, but the one that i am looking forward to will be the short, gp style one that i'm gonna tig weld with 2.25" stainless tubing. 8^)

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

this bike is cool, but... 07 Mar 2007 05:33 #118007

• pyxen
  • User
That's so awesome! :)

:laugh:
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

now with SWINGARM TOO! 07 Mar 2007 06:35 #118027

• 77KZ650
  • User
solomrus wrote:

hey, if you can get me some rough dimensions on that setup you need. such as what diameter the hole is for the top clamp(or measure the stem, metric is best). a kz1000 stem is 20mm at the top to fit the clamp. so is a 636 top clamp. bolt on with my setup.

then, i need to know how far apart the tubes are, on center, and take that centerline, and measure to the center of the hole for the stem.

so, somewhat like this ascii drawing.

0 distance between centers of fork tubes.
| distance from fork tube centerline tocenterof stem
0 stem

get me those numbers, and i should be able to tell you if the 636 is close. that would open up some possibilities for me as well.

--r

Ill try and get the numbers as soon as I can. thx a lot.
great pics btw keep that project rolling!
the green bike is an 800cc GP bike right?

now with SWINGARM TOO! 07 Mar 2007 11:58 #118117

• solomrus
  • User
sounds good man.

gp bike, yes.

which brings me to another subject... the bike that i am doing in this thread is the bike that i am planning on riding to cali this coming july to attend the motogp races there. july 22nd.

anyone want to ride along with me and my son? we're doing the recently acquired 650 for him to ride.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

now with SWINGARM TOO! 09 Mar 2007 18:52 #118807

• Bad Kaw
  • User
  • Flying Squirell
  • Thank you received: 13
Russ,
I just can't get enough of this thing!
Schwing factor 9, Sulu!:woohoo:
78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

now with SWINGARM TOO! 10 Mar 2007 07:06 #118909

• solomrus
  • User
i'll have more progress next week. i'm still pretty sure i will have it off the stand this weekend.

8^)

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four