Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

yet another zed... 19 Dec 2006 22:46 #100600

• Bad Kaw
  • User
  • Flying Squirell
  • Thank you received: 13
That'll work man. Yeah, Omaha, right up the road. My best bud from high school lives Lincoln (GPz1100 boy...liquid, not air) and our other pal lives in Omaha (no bike, good decision...lots of funny [scarry] stories about that boy on bikes). Anyway, both good excuses to jam up there and check out your steed and sponge-up some ideas. My 'J' bike has the front already on it (ZX9R forks...a tad longer than the 7Rs forks) and I'm trying to get my mono-shock rear end ideas to come together. I've modded the tank and have a 916 air-tech tail for it.

You don't remember a guy named Bud Tuccido that used to build fast Kaws back in the 80s and 90s do you? Ran a shop called ... aw man ... don't know if I can remember it ... Anyway, short little 'thick' guy that had a definite opinion about what he was doing, knew a lot; built some fast fast fast bikes back in the day and waaaaaaay preferred the Kaws.

Anyway, I'll PM you with my number and get yours; I'm a teacher so my free time comes in spurts and 'spring break' hits at absolutely the wrong time...makes my blood boil and I'll probably try to make five of my bikes run in one day. Run around like an idiot, drive my wife nuts...you know the deal. Nothing kills like spring fever, so I might try to get some ideas and some stuff rolling before it 'hits'.

Later,
-KR
78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

yet another zed... 19 Dec 2006 22:50 #100601

• wireman
  • Visitor
Bad Kaw wrote:

That'll work man. Yeah, Omaha, right up the road. My best bud from high school lives Lincoln (GPz1100 boy...liquid, not air) and our other pal lives in Omaha (no bike, good decision...lots of funny [scarry] stories about that boy on bikes). Anyway, both good excuses to jam up there and check out your steed and sponge-up some ideas. My 'J' bike has the front already on it (ZX9R forks...a tad longer than the 7Rs forks) and I'm trying to get my mono-shock rear end ideas to come together. I've modded the tank and have a 916 air-tech tail for it.

You don't remember a guy named Bud Tuccido that used to build fast Kaws back in the 80s and 90s do you? Ran a shop called ... aw man ... don't know if I can remember it ... Anyway, short little 'thick' guy that had a definite opinion about what he was doing, knew a lot; built some fast fast fast bikes back in the day and waaaaaaay preferred the Kaws.

Anyway, I'll PM you with my number and get yours; I'm a teacher so my free time comes in spurts and 'spring break' hits at absolutely the wrong time...makes my blood boil and I'll probably try to make five of my bikes run in one day. Run around like an idiot, drive my wife nuts...you know the deal. Nothing kills like spring fever, so I might try to get some ideas and some stuff rolling before it 'hits'.

Later,
-KR

bud the butcher tucito,not a good name round these parts!south cycle a.k.a shyster cycle!:whistle: :sick:

yet another zed... 20 Dec 2006 07:08 #100634

• solomrus
  • solomrus's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
we'll have to get together with wireman, and he can tell you some stories about the builders around here.

i'm originally from a little further north, sioux city iowa, in fact. quite a few old kaws up there still. some stories everywhere.

man, get some pics up of your projects! those bikes sound friggen killer!

speak to me of time... our five month old takes most, if not all, of my free time these days. when it was warmer, i'd take him out in the garage to work with me. now i have to crank the heat up so that he stays warm.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

yet another zed... 20 Dec 2006 07:44 #100647

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3

solomrus wrote we'll have to get together with wireman, and he can tell you some stories about the builders around here.

Kansas City is not soo far eh?
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

yet another zed... 20 Dec 2006 08:23 #100660

• solomrus
  • User
nope, kc's just down the road a bit. 8^)

distance is relative out here on the plains.

this bike is being built to ride distance, so a hop to points south would make for a good shakedown cruise.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

yet another zed... 20 Dec 2006 17:43 #100789

• Bad Kaw
  • User
  • Flying Squirell
wireman wrote:

Bad Kaw wrote:

bud the butcher tucito,not a good name round these parts!south cycle a.k.a shyster cycle!:whistle: :sick:

Yeah, I had privately wondered about that. Back in the day he was up against Larry James (out of KC not out of Manhattan) and he and James had some good performance 'wars'. Bud did a head for a friend of mine, but there was some "weirdness" involved and my friend didn't feel comfortable going back. Like I said, he had 'opinions' about what he was doing. And 'South Cycle'...yeah, that's the place. Thanks for clearing that little mystery up...some of us 'old school'-ers had a little inkling that he might end up in some trouble some day.

I might try to get a pic of the 'J' in here tomorrow as we are at the in-laws for a couple days and so is the 'J' (closer to Extreme Cycle). I can get the others pic-ed up nearer Christmas, when we get back to Salina.

Solumrus: got a "little man" stealing your time, too, huh?! I'm comfortably in that boat also. A 2yr old (daddy's) girl; and the 'little man' is 7 months old. You told the exact scenario that I go thru. Lemme guess: got a little 'bouncy chair' that you strap him into while you try to focus on what you're doing and not watch him slobber! Pretty cool, huh!?:lol:

Alright, enough of 'The Waltons'; I'll try to get on the pics ASAP.

-KR
78 Kawasaki Z1R
70 Kawasaki KV75

yet another zed... 20 Dec 2006 20:09 #100834

• wireman
  • Visitor
Bad Kaw wrote:

wireman wrote:

Bad Kaw wrote:

Yeah, I had privately wondered about that. Back in the day he was up against Larry James (out of KC not out of Manhattan) and he and James had some good performance 'wars'. Bud did a head for a friend of mine, but there was some "weirdness" involved and my friend didn't feel comfortable going back. Like I said, he had 'opinions' about what he was doing. And 'South Cycle'...yeah, that's the place. Thanks for clearing that little mystery up...some of us 'old school'-ers had a little inkling that he might end up in some trouble some day.

I might try to get a pic of the 'J' in here tomorrow as we are at the in-laws for a couple days and so is the 'J' (closer to Extreme Cycle). I can get the others pic-ed up nearer Christmas, when we get back to Salina.

Solumrus: got a "little man" stealing your time, too, huh?! I'm comfortably in that boat also. A 2yr old (daddy's) girl; and the 'little man' is 7 months old. You told the exact scenario that I go thru. Lemme guess: got a little 'bouncy chair' that you strap him into while you try to focus on what you're doing and not watch him slobber! Pretty cool, huh!?:lol:

Alright, enough of 'The Waltons'; I'll try to get on the pics ASAP.

-KR

yeah i personally know of about 10,000 lbs of busted up concrete and mud that got dumped in front of his main shop door in the middle of the night from a dumptruck that looked a lot like mine!:whistle: i saw him spray off the top of a suzuki motor one time with carb cleaner and wipe it off with a rag and charge the guy for adjusting his valves!:blink: :S :huh: :dry: :ohmy: :angry:

yet another zed... 25 Dec 2006 22:20 #101753

• Bad Kaw
  • User
  • Flying Squirell
wireman wrote:

[

yeah i personally know of about 10,000 lbs of busted up concrete and mud that got dumped in front of his main shop door in the middle of the night from a dumptruck that looked a lot like mine!:whistle: i saw him spray off the top of a suzuki motor one time with carb cleaner and wipe it off with a rag and charge the guy for adjusting his valves!:blink: :S :huh: :dry: :ohmy: :angry:[/quote]

Oh, ho!:laugh: Sounds like things eventually "came around" for ol' Bud. Glad I spent my money on school...B)
78 Kawasaki Z1R
70 Kawasaki KV75

yet another zed... 26 Dec 2006 01:51 #101757

• wireman
  • Visitor
yeah things do tend to happen when ya screw the wrong people around!;) :P the only honest engine builder i know of in omaha is joe kleymen,the rest of em have burned me or someone i know or their work is so bad i just wont take anything to em!;)

yet another zed... 26 Dec 2006 07:55 #101769

• Bad Kaw
  • User
  • Flying Squirell
I appreciate the knowledge. These are the "things to know" as compatence and work ethic are measurable and important. I have a couple buddies that live up in the area and as a guy "gets on" in his years, dropping everything to go 'dial in' my buddies bike over a few cold ones becomes a lot less possible...well...if I don't want to spend the next 6 months sleeping on the couch;) .

Down here in Topeka we've got Brian Lewis, the owner/operator of 'Extreme Cycle'. He specializes in sport and sport-oriented mo-mo needs. He's got that 'old school' work ethic and takes pride in his work. Not affraid to put his name on everything that he touches; and stands behind everything that he puts his name on. A good family guy who puts 'value' in his business; his name, his reputation, his family depend on his business practices...as it should be. He has an "open house" once a year, it's a 'shin dig' for sure; I'll have to post it up here and you guys should all come and we can meet up.

Let me know what you think.
-KR
78 Kawasaki Z1R
70 Kawasaki KV75

yet another zed... 26 Dec 2006 08:02 #101771

• solomrus
  • User
that's totally it.

if you do good work, the people you do it for will remember that. it gets around.

i tweek on cars some as a sideline, mostly subaru's and dsm's, it's small, but it pays for my toys. it takes time and hard work to get a good rep, and you have to maintain that level to keep that rep.

i'd be up to attending the open house. post a link up on the schedule, or even just let us know when it's gonna happen.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

some few updated photos. 27 Dec 2006 15:09 #102064

• solomrus
  • User
just pics for now. bolted right on, as expected. 8^)

--r

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/01/02 21:02
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four