Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Okay, I GOT a digital camera, frame update pics inside! 12 Mar 2006 10:14 #30361

• twowheeledterror
  • twowheeledterror's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
Okay, so the rear monoshock is mounted. I got everything fabbed and welded up. Added a triangulated plate gusset to the underside of the subframe at the chassis so that I have a little added insurance.

Removed the centerstand brackets because the cafe won't have a centerstand, just a side stand and a axle stand when she's resting in the garage.

The frame was finished up yesterday, everything was checked and it all fits so that's good.

The rest of the frame will be stripped today, and the wheels are currently taking a bath in 1:4 muriatic acid/water.

I was planning on powdercoating this stuff but the big bore 784cc 12.5:1 doesn't go in until next fall, and I was thinking about things... this is a pretty modified frame. If I powdercoat and then decide I want to change something it will be $$$!

So... the frame/wheels will be sprayed with primer, then high temp flat black paint. The engine (stock 650) will stay stock and be dropped in. New tires which I have here will go on.

I got the front end situation sorted out and I have pretty definitely sourced the front triple setup I wanted. Now I need to get the rear tie rods done, rearset brackets done and added to the bike, front brake system sorted out, and then it's just bolt it all up and do some wiring.

Oh, and the tank... I'll admit, I've been slacking on that to get the chassis finished. It'll get done though.

I'll try to get a camera to get some pics soon.

Post edited by: twowheeledterror, at: 2006/03/12 22:00

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I need a digital camera... 12 Mar 2006 17:05 #30432

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Yes please beg/borrow/steal (??) a digi-cam. Have followed yer posts re: this project and would REALLY like to see it to date, as I'm sure lots of others will.
I'm particularly interested in seeing the mono-shock set-up. One-o-these-days....I'm gonna do that, so help me!
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

I need a digital camera... 12 Mar 2006 19:00 #30461

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
Okay, my girlfriend who rules let me use her camera on her phone, so here it is.

I can't think of anything else I shoulda taken a pic of on there for now. I wanted to TIG weld the brackets but we got the wire feed setup and I was just too lazy. lol

As you can see the back of the frame where there was previously two holes from the cuts made were plugged with some iron rod and welded over, then sanded to fill them.

The rear pivot seems low I know, but it's where I need it cause I plan to put my electronics under the front of the seat, and any higher I would have had the reservoir from the shock in the way. Plus, I plan to make a "bash gaurd" that will bolt to the underside to protect the oil pan and linkage cause our streets aren't too nice here in the Twin Cities.

If you have any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them!

I need a digital camera... 12 Mar 2006 19:05 #30467

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Im interested in what you are doing with the wheels in the acid bath? Is that working as a good stripper? What kind of wheels are they, wire or mag?

Thanks

I need a digital camera... 12 Mar 2006 19:19 #30476

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Nice work on the frame. Keep us posted. B)
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

I need a digital camera... 12 Mar 2006 21:08 #30521

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
DanOz7Five0 wrote:

Im interested in what you are doing with the wheels in the acid bath? Is that working as a good stripper? What kind of wheels are they, wire or mag?

Thanks

It was supposed to... something tells me it's not gonna work out so well. :( I dunno about there in WI, but we got a drop of 20 degrees here today and it's below freezing now. :(

I was trying NOT to have to sandblast the wheels, but it looks as though I'm gonna have to.

They are from a mid 80's Ninja 600R. I'm using them cause I had them with my suspension and because they are 16's. I'm short and the smaller diameter wheels makes the bike just a little shorter overall.

I need a digital camera... 12 Mar 2006 23:46 #30536

• sbjones
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
twt, i had to mount my top of my mono shot backwards a bit. i couldn't mount my batt any place else. it rides a little stiff, but then i don't like a "springy" bike. seems to make it stick to everything on the road for me. but then i do have a racing front and rear tire off of a gixxer on my 650.

but hey, man that looks great!!!!! keep us posted.

thanks B)

I need a digital camera... 13 Mar 2006 03:23 #30550

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Man you been busy! i really like the looks of a monoshock on these kz's......and with 16's, that thing will handle like a rocket on rails, huh?
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

I need a digital camera... 13 Mar 2006 06:44 #30592

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
indykaw77 wrote:

Man you been busy! i really like the looks of a monoshock on these kz's......and with 16's, that thing will handle like a rocket on rails, huh?

Should do. That's the plan anyhow. I think I got the geometry on the suspension correct. We'll see when I get on it. lol

As for tires, here's what I'm running.

REAR:

FRONT:

This bike should stick VERY well. All said and done the seat height is what I was looking to perfect on it. As I said, I am a pretty short guy (5' 8") and I don't have the longest legs for someone my height even, so I need a shorter seat. I'll have the rear end and forks on soon and I'll get a proper measurement.

I need a digital camera... 13 Mar 2006 09:43 #30650

• sbjones
  • User
twt, should my shock be leaning forward like yours? mine is basically straight up and down. maybe this is why my rear end is so stiff, i kind of like it. but i don't want to ruin the shock. let me know.

thanks, keep up the good work.

I need a digital camera... 13 Mar 2006 11:01 #30672

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
Theoretically the shock being perfectly vertical will give you the stiffest ride (as you have found out! lol) but it will also give you optimum handling.

I set mine up with a slight lean just for the comfort of it.

You won't wreck your shock anytime soon because of that but you may want to crank the dampening to make it a tad softer!

I need a digital camera... 13 Mar 2006 13:28 #30714

• solomrus
  • User
TWT, have you gusseted anything else besides that rear sub-frame?

just wondering, as it looks like you might be adding some flex by taking out some tubing.

tigging it would have been uber-sweet man, did you take any pics of the welds before you primered?

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four