Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

I need a digital camera... 15 Mar 2006 11:03 #31360

• fonZee
  • Visitor
Yes this is interesting reading. I prefer tig welding in this instance though. One thing else to remember and check is that you are working with a 25+ year old piece of steel that has been subject to fatigue. This can in some instances present unseen problems. Again one must be responsible when doing modifications that could result in personal injury.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I need a digital camera... 15 Mar 2006 11:10 #31364

• twowheeledterror
  • twowheeledterror's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
mushmouth wrote:

Holy crap you know your welding stuff!!!!!!! You must be some wise guy from some fancy college like Dunwoody or something.

hahaha

Yup Yup. You getting anything done on the bike during the break man?

Oh, if you go on the gallery in the KZ440 section theres a bobber one of the members built. Check it out. You may see something that you like for your bike. :thumbup:

I need a digital camera... 15 Mar 2006 11:11 #31365

• twowheeledterror
  • twowheeledterror's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
fonZee wrote:

Yes this is interesting reading. I prefer tig welding in this instance though. One thing else to remember and check is that you are working with a 25+ year old piece of steel that has been subject to fatigue. This can in some instances present unseen problems. Again one must be responsible when doing modifications that could result in personal injury.

Very true. Steel doesn't generally have issues unless it's put under stress for a long time (or a short period of a lot of stress! lol).

My bike was a low milage KZ that was garage kept all it's life. The frame was impeccable to start with, so I figured it was a great piece to start with in the first place.

I need a digital camera... 15 Mar 2006 11:20 #31367

• timber
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

true, you want to see frame fatigue, take a xs650 an try to cut the frame without strapping the frame down. it will spring due to the vibration from the engine, in fact most twins do this. most 4's are pretty stable thats why they dont need the upper engine mounts as the twins do. plus look at how they engineered this frame. triple back bone tied back into the downtubes. these hoop frames are very strong.