Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Nessism's work 18 Jan 2024 05:37 #894128

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680
New choke spools are $23 (+ tax) shipped off ebay.  

I make my own, with the lathe, from either Delrin or nylon rod.  It's pretty simple.  Ron's spools were in good shape, so there was no need.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nessism's work 18 Jan 2024 08:20 #894135

• asphalt900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 167
Hey Ness/Ed. Rumor is you're getting bored with limited supply of stuff to work with. How about a set of Z1200 KZ900 bits to keep ya going? Free, just postage. I've about 5 completed sets with no destination. Interested? And..i'v soo much other crap You might find useful if You get in a pinch. Can't find little stuff like we used to since the 1099 scare of 2023. Let me know at You have time. Clay   
Attachments:

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

Nessism's work 19 Jan 2024 18:36 #894191

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

Hey Ness/Ed. Rumor is you're getting bored with limited supply of stuff to work with. How about a set of Z1200 KZ900 bits to keep ya going? Free, just postage. 
 Hi Clay,

This is the kind of offer I can't refuse.  Please email me at nessism at sbc global dot net

Spare parts are a wonderful thing!  The last few rebuids I've done have depleted some of my stock.

Ed

Nessism's work 20 Jan 2024 04:11 #894199

• asphalt900
  • User
Good Morning Ed! It's 0600 here in Kansas, sent email. Just call me, number is in message. I'm just old fashioned and we can cover more ground with a conversation. I am more apt at texting with any additional photos, as needed/desired, then emailing. Frankly i'm computer challenged in soo many ways. Talk-Soon, Clay

Nessism's work 20 Jan 2024 08:15 #894216

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

Good Morning Ed! It's 0600 here in Kansas, sent email. Just call me, number is in message. I'm just old fashioned and we can cover more ground with a conversation. I am more apt at texting with any additional photos, as needed/desired, then emailing. Frankly i'm computer challenged in soo many ways. Talk-Soon, Clay
Your email didn't come through, Clay.  Please try again, and don't forget, the .net part.  NO .com.  Also, sbcglobal, one word...

Nessism's work 20 Jan 2024 10:56 #894226

• asphalt900
  • User
Can You just call? 816-365-8687

Nessism's work 20 Jan 2024 17:54 #894236

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972

Your email didn't come through, Clay.  Please try again, and don't forget, the .net part.  NO .com.  Also, sbcglobal, one word...
Ed     I sent you his email to your email 
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Nessism's work 21 Jan 2024 07:49 #894248

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1864
Wanted to add my compliments to Ed and his abilities. I normally do all my carb rebuilds, they typical turn out nice in appearance and correct in function. That said I don’t have the ability to replate hardware, brackets and such. Knowing Ed does I sent him a set of 29SB’s and couldn’t be happier. One jet block was stripped and I ordered a replacement, within the time it took to receive Ed had worked his magic and repaired the stripped threads. Over and above what I expected. Anyone in need of carb services, don’t think, just send them to Ed.

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, Wookie58, Rolf1976_KZ900

Nessism's work 21 Jan 2024 10:09 #894258

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
Thanks for the positive feedback, guys.  I DO try to service my customers!

VM rebuilds are my favorite.  I could assemble a set with my eye's closed, literally.  

Some bits and bobs are getting hard to find these days.  Throttle shaft grommets, for example.  The early VM grommets had a white plastic liner, which debonds from the ID.  These grommets also crack.  New choke spools are available aftermarket, which is good because they often crack and fall apart.  The brass drain screws are a real pain too, because they tend to seize in the float bowl, and the only way to get them out is with pliers, which scars them up.  Fortunately, I've found a good source for those, along with new screw kits.  

Following Zed's lead, I have figured out how to replace the rubber seal in the choke plungers.  For guys doing their own carbs, send your plungers to Zed.  For me, though, I do my own, to stay self-sufficient.  

Another fun challenge is fuel inlet Tee's.  The OEM rubber coated zinc Tee's are great...until the rubber ages, and shrinks, and cracks.  I know that some guys wrap their old Tee's in teflon tape and stuff them back into the carbs, but I'm not comfortable doing that.  I've made a ton of Tee's using a lathe and brazing torch.  Good fun, but time-consuming.  For a while now, I've been modifying (china) "Yamaha" brass fuel Tees, to fit our dual feed VM KZ applications, using my lathe (shortening them and machining new O-ring grooves).  This works great, but my last purchase of china Tee's wound up being brass plated steel Tee's, which are less than ideal.  I need to see if I can find some of the old brass jobbies, and then buy a grip load for future projects.  

So goes it for the carb rebuilder.  Please be understanding when your rebuild winds up costing more than you first thought...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ronnieV, Mikaw

Nessism's work 21 Jan 2024 10:25 #894262

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116
Do you replate the brass looking choke plunger lifters and idle screw ?

Nessism's work 21 Jan 2024 10:40 #894265

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1864

Do you replate the brass looking choke plunger lifters and idle screw ?
The choke plunger lifters are zinc plated. Idle screws? 
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Nessism's work 21 Jan 2024 11:05 #894266

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
The early choke plungers are chrome plated brass.  Later, though, Mikuni got rid of the chrome, and the plungers are plain brass. 

Early choke plunger (screw in) caps were zinc plated steel.  On later carbs, they moved to raw brass.

Early air screws were zinc.  Later, raw brass.  

The main idle knob is zinc plated steel.  Some, had a raw zinc wheel pressed onto the shaft.  I press off the wheel, zinc plate the steel shaft, then press the wheel back on.

Everything gets bead blasted, to make it shinny and clean, again. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rolf1976_KZ900