Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Nessism's work 21 Jan 2024 11:10 #894267

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116
Yes i mean this idle screw
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nessism's work 21 Jan 2024 11:15 #894268

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116
Looks nice .! Is the zink plated stuff like brass color or is it like silver? on my computer it looks brass color.I live not far away from a company that do work like croming zink plating gold plating .I plan to take a trip there and ask what they want to plate some of the stuffs from my carbs. I want it to be like brass color

Nessism's work 21 Jan 2024 12:04 #894271

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680
The yellow color is created by a chromate dip.  

After plating, the part is silver/gray colored.  The zinc will develop a passive skin, which is gray colored, over time.  Like a galvanized fence.  

Chromate dips come in various colors: black, yellow, olived drab, and blue.  Blue, is what's used for parts that appear bright silver.  The chromate creates a "skin" layer, with color, which reduces further corrosion over time, while provide a decorative coloring.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb, Wookie58

Last edit: by Nessism.

Nessism's work 22 Jan 2024 07:56 #894299

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 519
Zinc is tricky!! I have been working with Clay "asphalt900" we have work done at a regular Business, "TRIPP Plating" in Buffalo.
I call it   "chicken wing grease"  they have to change out the mix on a regular basis! Fresh Chemicals! Makes for a brighter finish.
Here are some pictures of fresh Zinc Coating.
I'm not opening up Clay's carb parts, because I don't want to loose any!  
But my work is mighty fine!
So is Clay's!
I was middle man! I know the owner of Tripp Plating. Cost of everything has escalated of course!! Plus Sorry New York State regulations!
So tuff to do anything now with the "Greenies" controlling everything!
Don't even think of CHROME! Unless you have an unlimited budget!
Here are a few pics of $200 dollars worth of a  "Ka-Zillion" little pieces, Fresh Zinc! Professionally done.

Marty in Buffalo. 
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Last edit: by z1kzonly.

Nessism's work 22 Jan 2024 08:02 #894300

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 519
When's the last time you've seen a set of 4 foot peg studs with 4 OEM washers and the OEM acorn nuts??????
Yes they sell aftermarkets! But I can tell the differince!
Nothing like OEM for that 10 point Concourse, Mecum Auction $25,000 Resto Job!
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Last edit: by z1kzonly.

Nessism's work 22 Jan 2024 08:07 #894301

• ronnieV
  • ronnieV's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 293
Very purty Marty.
77 ltd1000 80 ltd1000 78kz1000a ,02 red zrx 12r, 94 cb1000 big one ,03 valkyrie (my couch) 65 olds 442

Nessism's work 22 Jan 2024 09:02 #894302

• asphalt900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 167
Not to steal time on Ed's thread But..Marty You the Man!! Nice to split that inflated pricing! Not their fault, we're just "hobbiest" platers and don't send them forklift quantities, that's ok though. You should of mentioned You need ed some peg mounts/washers/those recessed flange acorn nuts.. i have a bag of them? Guess they had to be fixed-up anyway eventhough one only sees the inner couple threads and end once installed, BUT YOU know they are proper. Almost busted my posterior again this morning walking out the same breezeway, running out of shoulders ya know. Complete sheet of glaze H2O. Definitely prefer the snow to the ice. 
Attachments:

Nessism's work 22 Jan 2024 18:38 #894323

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680
I've been on the Caswell's Plating train for more than a decade now.  If pressed, I'll admit that professional plating likely holds the edge in durability, but doing it yourself is just so incredibly convenient...

It's taken some time to get the hang of the process.  Stripping all the old plating is generally recommended.  It's easy with a diluted HCl or sulfuric acid dip.  Generally speaking, though, I don't do this.  I leave the old plating intact.  Degrease, bead blast, polish with a stainless wheel, degrease again, then into the plating tank.  

When the plating chemicals are fresh, the parts come out looking almost like chrome.  With time and use, the solution deteriorates, though.  Good results are still reasonable to achieve, but some post plating polishing may be needed.  With further use, the parts come out of the tank looking dull.  There is a brighter additive, which helps, but when the chemicals are used up, there is no way to get a fresh looking part anymore.  At that point, it's credit card time to buy new chemicals.  NOT CHEAP!  You gotta pay to play, as they say.