Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Sad day when the bike you picked up has stripped sparkplug holes(91 zephyr750) 28 Dec 2023 15:08 #893225

• ckahleer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 140
Since that bike will just be a running junker, maybe you could tap the spark plug holes to accept 14mm plugs and do same for a one size larger oil plug.
94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
85 VT 500c
85 VF1100c
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robby2894

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sad day when the bike you picked up has stripped sparkplug holes(91 zephyr750) 28 Dec 2023 15:43 #893229

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2707

Since that bike will just be a running junker, maybe you could tap the spark plug holes to accept 14mm plugs and do same for a one size larger oil plug.
A spark plug repair kit with 10 inserts is $22 shipped off Amazon.  The oversize drain plug is the way to go.  Auto parts stores sell them...
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, Robby2894

Sad day when the bike you picked up has stripped sparkplug holes(91 zephyr750) 28 Dec 2023 16:00 #893231

• Robby2894
  • Robby2894's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I was just looking at the piggy back oversized self tapping drain plug. I put it in my cart along with the sparkplug tap and insert kit

Sad day when the bike you picked up has stripped sparkplug holes(91 zephyr750) 28 Dec 2023 19:04 #893249

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 519
OK! I just read all 4 pages for 1st time!
Not one mention of?  Who sold this to you? Did you know the person?
Did it run?
Did you check it out 1st?
What were you thinking?
Why?
Sorry, just me. I've purchased at least 100 motorcycles in the past 45 years.
Chalk it up to a lesson learned.
You got F'ed
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

The following user(s) said Thank You: blipco, Wookie58, Robby2894

Sad day when the bike you picked up has stripped sparkplug holes(91 zephyr750) 28 Dec 2023 19:09 #893250

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 636
Any wonder why the spark plugs for the engine were engineered to be M12 instead of M14 size?

1982 KZ1100-A2

Sad day when the bike you picked up has stripped sparkplug holes(91 zephyr750) 28 Dec 2023 19:24 #893251

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 262
I agree, Marty. The more expensive the lesson, the longer we remember it.  I'm sure a lot of us have had some painful "learning experiences" !    
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: blipco, Robby2894

Last edit: by sf4t7.

Sad day when the bike you picked up has stripped sparkplug holes(91 zephyr750) 28 Dec 2023 19:34 #893253

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2643

OK! I just read all 4 pages for 1st time!
Not one mention of?  Who sold this to you? Did you know the person?
Did it run?
Did you check it out 1st?
What were you thinking?
Why?
Sorry, just me. I've purchased at least 100 motorcycles in the past 45 years.
Chalk it up to a lesson learned.
You got F'ed

Been there done that. Still a lot of useable parts there. 
Steve

Sad day when the bike you picked up has stripped sparkplug holes(91 zephyr750) 28 Dec 2023 20:02 #893257

• daveo
  • Premium Member

Any wonder why the spark plugs for the engine were engineered to be M12 instead of M14 size?

1982 KZ1100-A2

Sad day when the bike you picked up has stripped sparkplug holes(91 zephyr750) 28 Dec 2023 20:04 #893258

• daveo
  • Premium Member
1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: by daveo.

Sad day when the bike you picked up has stripped sparkplug holes(91 zephyr750) 28 Dec 2023 20:33 #893260

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2643
Larger valves or seats? I know the cast seats are very close to the plug holes. Maybe why the cracks in those areas?
Steve

Attachments:

Sad day when the bike you picked up has stripped sparkplug holes(91 zephyr750) 28 Dec 2023 22:06 #893265

• Robby2894
  • User
Didn't know him it was a craigslist deal. Surprisingly its the first time I've had a bad experience with craigslist.  I got a ride out to meet him, he rode it over to meet me and it sounded alright I mean atleast what ibexpected it to sound like after seeing the pictures on cl. then he turned it off it had a shot battery so it had roubles starting back up. But we got it started pretty quick, he had told me through texts before we met it needed the carbs cleaned. When we met I notice it was leaking fuel from a carb and a little from the air filter box so i asked why it was leaking he told me that one of the carbs float gets stuck and isbwhat he was talking about it needing a rebuild. Then he told me about the leaky oil drain plug be he said it was because the crish washer was worn out, it wasnt a bad leak just a drop every once in a while and the drain plug looked fine and felt tight with my hand,  and lastly it had a vacuum problem and offered me if I wanted to return the next day to make the deal so he could fix it real quick, but I said nah and bought it. I had checked the vin and it was 13 years out of dmv records and the vin check said it wasnt stolen. He told me he didn't have the papers but he was willing to fill out a bill of sale with his name, his liscense info, and he let me take a picture of his liscense which I still have saved in my phone. With him doing all that the clear vin check, and the fact thay he offered to fix the vacuum problem if i wanted to return the next day i thought ok hes being honest so o trust hes not fucking me over, so i decided to buy it. I was excited since I haven't had wheels in a few years, and jumped the gun was excited and wasnt thinking at that time so i bought it. It was a 30 minute ride home on the highway. When I was riding on the highway I notice if I tried to full throttle it would actually slow down more than if I let off the throttle to about 3/4 throttle. I was thinking well thats probably because of the vacuum leak he had mentioned. it didn't have a working  speedo but my friend was following me and I asked him how fast I was going because it was bogging out, didn't seem to be revving high and didn't feel to fast. He told me 95, so it couldn't go faster than that and was bogging like I said. Once I got off the highway I rode straight to a friend's house. When I was near there house I noticed it didn't sound like it was a 4 cylinder anymore and as I was parking it it backfired and was so loud it sounded like a gun shot, and it was smoking hot literally. After being there for a minute I was going to leave but the bike wouldn't start. It still had fuel and knew that for sure because the one carb was still leaking. The battery was shot so it died very quick after I started trying to start it. I got it started the next day on full choke and full throttle, but then when it started it stayed running even though it wasnt running on all cylinders, so I made sure to ride it straight home and parked it in my driveway. Next day I go out noticed the decent sized oil stain. I didn't think about it to much and didn't ride because I was going to wait until after I worked on it a bit and got it running better. It has literally had problem after problem since then. I have had it running good a few times but each time it was I'd take it for a little spin around the block then it'd have another issue. This repetition made me really start to think. When I went to work on the carb, I pulled the airbox since I was right there anyways, the air filter was insanely dirty and was disintegrating. I pulled the bottoms of the carbs and was replacing the jets and all that stuff. I noticed not one main jet was the same size as another., the gaskets where split and dried out. One of the diaphrams was shot. I didn't clean the carbs since I didn't have any solvent or anything but I did my best to clean them by hand replaced all the parts, and put them back together, reinstalled the carbs, no leak anymore. Went to start it up and it still sounded like a lawnmower. That's when I got to the spark plugs and found out about them and the holes being stripped. I still replaced them and made sure they were all getting spark.. Bike still sounded like shit. So I gave up for the day later on took the carbs back off pulled the jets cleaned all the little orfices I could find with one of those tools that are different sizes of metal wires. Put them back together reinstalled them and boom it was now atleast making the sound of running on all four cylinders. Rode it around the block and the petcock which I already seen was a little leaky started leaking alot along with the 3 pieces of fuel hose and a big ass fuel filter that were ghetto connected together. And the story goes on but I am worn out haha

Sad day when the bike you picked up has stripped sparkplug holes(91 zephyr750) 29 Dec 2023 02:18 #893267

• Robby2894
  • User
Hey Nessism do you know the size tap and inserts I need to order? I am confused because like the ones In the pic i attached says it comes with M14x1.25 tap and M12x1.25 inserts. 
is this the rcorrect one to fit my ngk d9ea spark plugs since they are threaded M12x1.25 ? I tried asking the seller but they confused me even more and message me about way bigger sizes and it didn't seem right to me.