Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 27 Mar 2023 07:15 #882061

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1814

Right, and the topic has now become tangential.

I have only ever talked about what are the implications of diesel fuel and vestiges of diesel fuel left over when rinsing the tank and the harm it can do to my bike as it goes through the system.
I am simply trying to understand the difference between diesel and any of the other oil based products mentioned throughout the thread as a rust inhibitor ??
The following user(s) said Thank You: hardrockminer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 27 Mar 2023 07:19 #882062

• DanMadBoy
  • DanMadBoy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 14

I have only ever talked about what are the implications of diesel fuel and vestiges of diesel fuel left over when rinsing the tank and the harm it can do to my bike as it goes through the system.
I am simply trying to understand the difference between diesel and any of the other oil based products mentioned throughout the thread as a rust inhibitor ??

Kelly, and one other person in this thread, have purported that diesel fuel has fuel tank coating capabilities and should be used to rinse the tank after cleaning with Evaporust. Seemed counterintuitive to me, putting diesel in a fuel tank of an engine that will crap out if diesel fuel is used, however sparingly.

Last edit: by DanMadBoy.

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 27 Mar 2023 07:43 #882063

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1814

Kelly, and one other person in this thread, have purported that diesel fuel has fuel tank coating capabilities and should be used to rinse the tank after cleaning with Evaporust. Seemed counterintuitive to me, putting diesel in a fuel tank of an engine that will crap out if diesel fuel is used, however sparingly.
OK Dan, I give up. Your response does not help me understand the difference between diesel and "WD40" - "Remington gun oil" - "Marvel Mystery oil" all of which are "oil" based products as is diesel. Also "crap out" does not explain what damage was caused by the diesel. I would not have lasted long as a Service Manager in VAG, Mercedes or JLR dealerships if that was the diagnosis I gave my customers.
Be well

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 27 Mar 2023 07:51 #882064

• DanMadBoy
  • User is blocked

OK Dan, I give up. Your response does not help me understand the difference between diesel and "WD40" - "Remington gun oil" - "Marvel Mystery oil" all of which are "oil" based products as is diesel. Also "crap out" does not explain what damage was caused by the diesel. I would not have lasted long as a Service Manager in VAG, Mercedes or JLR dealerships if that was the diagnosis I gave my customers.
Be well

I respect you and appreciate your input.

Though logged in on this forum, I work and dont have time to break down things to include every nuance. Diesel fuel in a non diesel engine is bad. WD-40 and MMO arent. Thats it.

I dont have anything further to add to this as I think my point has been made.

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 27 Mar 2023 08:19 #882065

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629

What would be the difference of a film of MMO compared to diesel in a motorcycle tank to prevent flash rust. The answer is NONE.   They both will work with no harm to the engine. 
Now there was a guy named Tractor Jim who got tired of the Meth Heads stealing his gas at night so he filled his Aux. tank with diesel (no lock) and the one behind the seat (locked) with gas to run his truck. One morning he left for work and a car down the road was pulled over with the tweakers all over it. They were obviously mad the car wouldn't run and were acting like monkeys. Jim said that was the best tank of diesel he ever bought.   He used it for his backhoe and when it was gone he filled it up with gas. Never had that problem again. 
I've used it to clean parts and flush motors as long as I've been riding and wrenching on bikes, cars or trucks. I guess that would be close to 50 years.   A clean, cheap and effective way to assemble an engine without a solvent station. It just makes sense. It's not magic it's fact. 
BTW diesel absorbs moisture so that is why you have to purge all of it if water finds it's way into it. 
Steve

The following user(s) said Thank You: 82KZ305Belt, Wookie58

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 27 Mar 2023 08:34 #882068

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1470
Using diesel to flush out the tank is going to be no better or worse than using any type of oil to coat the inside for protection.
Any residual diesel remaining in the tank will be at such a low ratio to the correct fuel that it will have no effect on the engine and certainly won't be at such high levels or in the system long enough to cause detonation damage which is the usual consequence of high proportions of diesel present when the usual mistake of filling a petrol vehicle with the wrong fuel occurs and then driving for an extended period..
If there is any unfounded concern from flushing with diesel or coating with oil then simply swill out the tank with a splash of petrol before it being put into use. 
Personally i wouldn't bother.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: ronnieV, Warren3200gt, Wookie58

Last edit: by zed1015.

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 27 Mar 2023 08:41 #882069

• DanMadBoy
  • User is blocked

Using diesel to flush out the tank is going to be no better or worse than using any type of oil to coat the inside for protection.
Any residual diesel remaining in the tank will be at such a low ratio to the correct fuel that it will have no effect on the engine and certainly won't be at such high levels or in the system long enough to cause detonation damage which is the usual consequence of high proportions of diesel present when the usual mistake of filling a petrol vehicle with the wrong fuel occurs and then driving for an extended period..
If there is any unfounded concern from flushing with diesel or coating with oil then simply swill out the tank with a splash of petrol before it being put into use. 
Personally i wouldn't bother.

Thanks for your input. I will def think about this too.

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 27 Mar 2023 09:00 #882070

• DanMadBoy
  • User is blocked

What would be the difference of a film of MMO compared to diesel in a motorcycle tank to prevent flash rust. The answer is NONE.   They both will work with no harm to the engine. 
Now there was a guy named Tractor Jim who got tired of the Meth Heads stealing his gas at night so he filled his Aux. tank with diesel (no lock) and the one behind the seat (locked) with gas to run his truck. One morning he left for work and a car down the road was pulled over with the tweakers all over it. They were obviously mad the car wouldn't run and were acting like monkeys. Jim said that was the best tank of diesel he ever bought.   He used it for his backhoe and when it was gone he filled it up with gas. Never had that problem again. 
I've used it to clean parts and flush motors as long as I've been riding and wrenching on bikes, cars or trucks. I guess that would be close to 50 years.   A clean, cheap and effective way to assemble an engine without a solvent station. It just makes sense. It's not magic it's fact. 
BTW diesel absorbs moisture so that is why you have to purge all of it if water finds it's way into it. 
Steve

This is a very funny story and made me laugh outloud. Thanks for posting. I now no longer fear diesel fuel....in small quantities! :-)

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 27 Mar 2023 13:49 #882086

• DanMadBoy
  • User is blocked

No special potions needed.
Once cleaned out just fit and fill the tank with fuel asap and keep it topped up.
If the tank is going to sit empty a while then simply pour in some thin oil and rotate the tank until the inside is coated.
Both tried and trusted, simple and effective methods that have served many well since the invention of the motorcycle.

Well, it has arrived. Here we go!!!
Attachments:

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 28 Mar 2023 05:08 #882111

• Mc Tavish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
Be sure to read the warnings on the back panel.

Motor will "crap out" after use!
1978 z650C

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 28 Mar 2023 08:08 #882118

• DanMadBoy
  • User is blocked

Stale.

Flash Rust post Evaporust KZ Tank: PICS 28 Mar 2023 09:17 #882120

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629

Stale.