Caswell Gas Tank Sealer. Newer???

• z1kzonly
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
22 Apr 2018 08:21 #782166 by z1kzonly
Caswell Gas Tank Sealer. Newer??? was created by z1kzonly
Hi, I just bought this product. Never seen it before, I have used Caswell buffing products for years though.
But it is some new type of epoxy, 2 part system. Sounds good. Says it repairs the other bad systems like Kreem that go bad?
Directions say that it likes the old crusty rust and broken up old sealers! It says it seals it all up together.
I'll find out? It's on its way. OK! where are the Chemist out here on the site? WTF? "Phenol Novolac Epoxy"
Gas Tank Sealer form Caswell.

Permanently Repairs Steel, Aluminum, Fiberglass and Plastic Gas Tanks
Phenol Novolac Epoxies are a new breed of chemical resistant materials, able to withstand permanent immersion of many harsh solvents, fuels and oils. This Epoxy has much better bond strength than single component products, with strengths of up to 3000 PSI, and this higher strength reduces the need for a clinically clean surface, as the epoxy actually prefers to bond to a rough rusty surface. Our new phenol novolac is more thixotropic, which means it 'hangs' on the tank walls during the coating process. This gives a thicker overall coating. There is more volume of material in the kit to allow for this.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
22 Apr 2018 09:19 #782168 by SWest

More
22 Apr 2018 10:38 #782174 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Caswell Gas Tank Sealer. Newer???
I'll be watching for your review...thanks.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
22 Apr 2018 11:30 - 22 Apr 2018 11:47 #782175 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Caswell Gas Tank Sealer. Newer???
I've used it before on two different tanks. It's killer thick and heavy. In my opinion it's a great sealer to use if your tank has weak metal and/or holes due to rust because it reinforces the metal.

On the first tank I did I mixed 1/2 the container per the guidelines but it flowed out so poorly I mixed the 2nd half and dumped that in as well to be sure no spots were missed. Tried to drain out the excess but about 2/3's stayed inside. No big deal I suppose but that tank was heavy afterwards.

On the second tank I did I thinned the sealer per the instructions. This made the sealer flow better but it was still very thick.

Regarding sealing over rust and failed liners, I wouldn't even try. No thanks. If you get some Klean Strip Etch and Prep from Home Depot and dump that in the tank all the rust will be gone in an hour or two so why bother trying to seal over rust? If your tank has a failed liner inside you can use MEK to eat it out, then derust. The cleaner you can make the tank before sealing the better.

EDIT: been thinking more about leaving the rust and just can't understand why Casswell's would recommend such a thing. Even if the epoxy kept the gas inside the tank, rust on the metal will continue to eat away and will eventually break through the paint on the outside. What good does that do anyone?
Last edit: 22 Apr 2018 11:47 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: z1kzonly

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
22 Apr 2018 22:25 - 22 Apr 2018 22:26 #782200 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Caswell Gas Tank Sealer. Newer???
I just went through this process on a gas tank. It had heavy rust scale, I soaked the interior with "Bosh rust remover" and threw in a a bunch of woodscrews to knock the scale loose. This etched the metal slightly so it had good "tooth" for the resin. I then cleaned it out with acetone and followed the Caswell instructions thinning it with laquer thinner. It takes a lot of turning to get a good coating but it works great. I also used it in my kz 1000 tank years ago and it has been great with no problems.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2018 22:26 by DoctoRot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: z1kzonly

• z1kzonly
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
23 Apr 2018 07:17 #782219 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Caswell Gas Tank Sealer. Newer???
Thanks! Yes I have done the usual prep, along with some black cat media blasting on the inside.
Plus I have some real Industrial Phosphoric Acid in powder form to mix up to soak. But like you say, they need a little something to adhere to.
This is for an original set of 76 Harley fat bobs, for my old FLH. they have original mount holes for correct emblems to repaint correct
for my year 75.
I like the thinning aspect with the lacquer thinner.
I'll be on this in about another month. waiting on some nice weather

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
24 Apr 2018 15:13 #782310 by jsmith1107
Replied by jsmith1107 on topic Caswell Gas Tank Sealer. Newer???
I used this on a fiberglass tank that I had as I was worried about the ethanol---put it on as instructed and it turned out great--no issues thus far.