Suggestions on Dressing up My Bike

• keconomos@sbcglobal.net
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jul 2016 14:30 - 10 Jul 2016 14:38 #734471 by keconomos@sbcglobal.net
Suggestions on Dressing up My Bike was created by keconomos@sbcglobal.net
I have attached a side view and an angled frontal view picture of my motorcycle.

I just removed the Whelen Red and Blue pursuit lights from the round front sockets and the two side rectangular sockets on the cowling. I have lenses simialr in style to the headlight coming for the rounds and I will close up the side rectangles when I have the cowling painted. I will then add the standard small rectangular reflectors on the sides, the decals and new black and silver edge trim. Also ordered a replacement Clearview windscreen.

I ordered replacement locks with keys for only $12.50 each for the saddle boxes from Franzel lock in NJ -that was a lucky find. I was able to find a lock and key to replace the missing one on the motorola box behind the seat.

The crash bar in front is messed up as are the chrome protectors on the rear boxes- I do not know what to do about them - they are too costly to replace with factory- any suggestions (short of laying out the big bucks?)

I am also wrestling with a few scratches on the tank and on the side covers. The side covers I could probably get a way with just ordering new decals and laying them after I 've done some bondo magic. The tank would require removal, prep, paint decals - the works.

Or- I could just ride the darn thing, think about how nicely it rides and how much money I saved. This model does not bring in the bg bucks on resale.

Kirk
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jul 2016 14:38 by keconomos@sbcglobal.net. Reason: add

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2016 13:09 #734802 by harm
Replied by harm on topic Suggestions on Dressing up My Bike
I like it the way it is but it is your bike and you can do what you want!

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Jul 2016 13:17 #734803 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Suggestions on Dressing up My Bike
I liked the side lights. Good for seeing what's around you at night. If they're strobes, good for a alarm hook up. Those are nice bikes. I'd 'ride the piss out of it" and change things one piece at a time. If I find a KZP in bad shape, I'd do something like this to it. The frames are strong so a upgrade would be a natural.
Steve

Attachments:

More
13 Jul 2016 14:55 #734809 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Suggestions on Dressing up My Bike
I would love to have one that complete and close to working trim. It wont be long before there are none that havnt been molested.
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
14 Jul 2016 03:52 #734877 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic Suggestions on Dressing up My Bike
They are pretty good looking bikes stock. Check out KIwi's KZP to see what you can do these things.
I suppose the less stock they are the less there will be of the "KZP curse", that is, people slowing down when you come up behind them. Drives me crazy!

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

More
14 Jul 2016 05:56 #734884 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Suggestions on Dressing up My Bike
I too have wrestled with chrome finished guards and wondered if painted-used-to-be-chrome parts would be that hideous? :unsure:

Luckily, I found this [ Awesome Motorcycle Company ] that makes motorcycles and looked to see what they would do:

Gee. If you squint just a little bit, you'll see your own bike in this particular model. Notice the chrome engine guard/highway bars? No? Yeah, they're not chrome anymore. Not much is anymore and I've noticed this extends across all their model lines, not just the so-called cruisers either.
Discovering this, gave me the confidence to try paint instead of original/worn chrome; I figured, if the original manufacturer has left chrome behind, maybe so could I. B)
Attachments: