KZ Sport fairing ?

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
05 Jul 2016 20:42 #734022 by kzdcw
KZ Sport fairing ? was created by kzdcw
Looking maybe to install a small quarter fairing round headlight on my 77' KZ1000A something on the line as my 2001 ZRX1200 I had at one time. Running Euro like handlebars on my bike.

Any recommendations that doesn't break the bank ?

77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2016 01:10 - 06 Jul 2016 01:10 #734029 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic KZ Sport fairing ?
Search 'Maier fairing' on eBay

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 06 Jul 2016 01:10 by Mcdroid.

More
06 Jul 2016 04:39 #734034 by RODZ
Replied by RODZ on topic KZ Sport fairing ?
Airtech.

More
06 Jul 2016 05:16 #734036 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic KZ Sport fairing ?

Mcdroid wrote: Search 'Maier fairing' on eBay

Maier has a GPz clone fairing that's pretty nice. I bought one for my 750 but haven't installed it yet. I'm torn on throwing it on or just looking for a small flyscreen type windshield.

More
06 Jul 2016 06:26 #734041 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic KZ Sport fairing ?
I wanted something similar for my 650 and found this EMGO Venom Mark II for about $60:

It came gloss black but I painted it to match the bike.
Installation was a PITA but I liked the results.
Attachments:

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
06 Jul 2016 06:39 - 06 Jul 2016 06:58 #734042 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic KZ Sport fairing ?
Wrench monkey, Now that's a Nice looking fairing ! Does the back edge of the fairing come in contact with the handlebars that you have ?

My turn signals are also mounted in the stock position on the headlight ears. Does the cut-out or drilled hole of the fairing allow for clearance of the turn signal stalks or did it need to be trimmed or the hole enlarged ?

I looked at the Maier Sport Fairings too. They have a small and large sport fairing for round headlights. Difference between the 2 models is that the Large one comes back 8 3/4" from the headlight opening instead of 5". Don't know if that increased measurement would come in contact with the handlebars and controls ?

77' KZ1000A
Last edit: 06 Jul 2016 06:58 by kzdcw.

More
06 Jul 2016 06:59 - 06 Jul 2016 07:00 #734045 by wrenchmonkey
Hey there :)

Ooops. No. The fairing does not contact my bars or anything else for that matter even though it's close fitting.

The fairing is pretty much plug and play as far as the signal stem stalks are concerned. The holes where you pass the signal stems through are perfectly aligned and didn't need any mods to press the signal stems through.

BUT

I did have to F with the entire assembly to get it installed. The main culprit for me was the headlamp opening is made a slight bit smaller than the headlamp bucket's perimeter, so to install the signal stems and wire etc, requires the headlamp be removed of course and then I couldn't fit the headlamp back through the front fairing hole without heavily modifying the opening which I didn't want to do.

I ended up using a dremel tool with a small sanding drum (you could hand sand too easily) the upper half perimeter of the lamp opening from the inside. This provided room to rotate the headlamp bucket up - like I'm talking directly straight up at the sky, while the fairing was rotated downward as far as the chin spoiler would allow. I unbolted my speedo/tach cluster too and leaned it back over the tank temporarily for more room. Lowered the headlamp with ring down, made the headlamp connection and clicked the ring over the bucket and then rotated everything back to straight (this is the moment where I needed that extra 1/4" of clearance along the top half of the headlamp opening in the fairing...

The fairing has a mounting hole on the bottom between the forks which appears to me as used for some kinda headlamp ring mount (my headlamp bucket has a 6mm receiver nut welded inside it) but it didn't align. Maybe a mounting plate or something for a kz with the "Kawasaki" emblem between the forks would have worked. I dunno. Ultimately, I used 2 heavy zip ties to secure the fairing's chin to the front brake hydraulic splitter to stop possible fairing movement at higher speeds.
Like I said, installation was a PITA but it's doable - certainly if I can do it, anyone can! :laugh:

It was helpful to have my wife assist me at one point - the headlamp install into the bucket was easier with 4 hands.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2016 07:00 by wrenchmonkey.

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
06 Jul 2016 07:08 #734047 by kzdcw
Wrenchmonkey, Sounds like a lot of frustration and pain in installation but as you said doable. As with any aftermarket item a lot of fiddling but my Wife also helps in needed times too.

As I said this is a stock Kz100A I brought back to life, but so far I like the looks of your fairing the Best.

I appreciate the Heads Up and tutorial !

77' KZ1000A

More
06 Jul 2016 07:24 #734049 by wrenchmonkey
Yeah, I should have mentioned that my headlamp bucket assembly was actually from a 750 so it's possible that other headlamps may just fit through the hole directly and avoid all the hassles I ran into because of the extra sized headlamp ring/bucket I have.
I have another headlamp (after market unit) with H4 and LED lighting that would have been waaay easier since that one would fit straight through the original opening.
Anyway. It's unique looking and I am happy with the results. Thank goodness for cooperative wives willing to put up with our pursuits! ;)

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
06 Jul 2016 07:57 #734052 by kzdcw
Measured my Stock headlight bucket assembly on my 77' KZ1000A. It appears that is measures approx. 7 5/8" O.D. It would be interesting to know the hole diameter of the Fairing you have and if this headlight/bucket assembly off my KZ would pass thru the opening ? If your able to get a chance to measure it, I would appreciate it. Or maybe I could call the manufacture or distributor and see if they could come up with that measurement.

Thanks Again !!!

77' KZ1000A

More
06 Jul 2016 11:03 #734065 by wrenchmonkey
Sure. I can take some more pics with measures this evening when i get home. My gut feeling is the chrome ring that surrounds the 7" headlamp is likely the same across all models since they usually have the same bulbs contained within.
Still, I'll measure to be sure.

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
06 Jul 2016 11:31 #734068 by kzdcw
Thank You for taking the effort. I called Emgo and their Tech. did not have one on hand to measure ?

77' KZ1000A