KZ Sport fairing ?

More
06 Jul 2016 12:23 #734073 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic KZ Sport fairing ?
That's odd eh? I never dealt with EMGO directly and only stumbled across the Venom Fairing on a web site i got my seat foam & cover kit from.
It was a risk to buy it, i admit because there were no reviews but the ad plainly stated the fairing mounts via stock turn signal stems and so i went for it.
But, either way, i'll measure & photo my setup so you can see clearances of headlamp opening & bars etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2016 17:52 #734098 by KZP15

More
06 Jul 2016 19:09 #734102 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic KZ Sport fairing ?
Hey there. Sorry it took longer to get in front of the computer than expected.
Here's a measure of the headlamp opening on the Venom MkII fairing:

This shows a full front view of the headlamp behind the fairing:
You can see the chrome headlamp bucket is partially eclipsed by the fairing

This shows a profile view of the fairing. Notice the turn signal stem mounts and also clearance to handlebar and cables etc:

Last pic. This is an inside view of the fairing looking over the gauge cluster. Notice the slight relief I sanded into the upper radius of the headlamp opening. This allows to rotate the headlamp upwards while rotating the fairing downwards (slightly) to drop the headlamp and ring into the bucket:

Hope that helps man! Sorry to hijack your thread with all the pictures but maybe it'll help you decide what way you want to go.

Good luck!
Attachments:

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
06 Jul 2016 19:19 #734106 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic KZ Sport fairing ?
Even still with all the pictures you took, I think this Venom fairing would clear the handlebars and controls I have better than the Viper fairing I was considering. And looks like with it's rake or angle better clearance for the instruments and master cylinder which appears like yours that you have mounted.

So with an opening at 7" my headlight assembly wouldn't pass thru the hole and would have to be mounted in the same fashion as you did with yours.

I really Appreciate the Time you took to take the pictures and articulate the install.

Thanks Again. Now to make a decision.

77' KZ1000A

More
06 Jul 2016 20:00 #734109 by KZP15
Replied by KZP15 on topic KZ Sport fairing ?
Fyi the Emgo, Viper and Maier fairings are plastic. Airtech is hand laid fiberglass with a gelcoat ready to finish. The plastic fairings flex and distort over time. I have a Maier on mine but Airtech fenders. I do it again I would go Airtech.

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
07 Jul 2016 09:35 #734152 by kzdcw
KZP15, Are you able to outline how the Maier sport fairing fits on your bike ? Was there were any clearance issues ? Pictures would be nice if possible.

I don't know what year your bike is but Maier has 2 sizes of their sport fairing for the round headlight ?

77' KZ1000A

More
07 Jul 2016 20:06 #734202 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic KZ Sport fairing ?
As requested from your p.m.

Best pic of the bike that has been sold.

Red outlines the windshield edge trimmed out for the master cylinder.
Green points out the screw for the supplied bracket that slips in behind the turn signal stalk.
Yellow points to the aluminum strap that is bolted to the handle bars with pipe clamps and the fairing windshield screws.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

Attachments:

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
07 Jul 2016 20:25 #734205 by kzdcw
Picture is a Big Help . Do you remember if the Maier Sport Fairing was the "small one" or "large one" ?

Did the fairing clear the gauges ? I think that the fairing has side cut-outs to clear the true signal stalks ? So did you remember how the brackets on the side connected ?

77' KZ1000A

More
08 Jul 2016 17:40 #734308 by KZP15

Attachment IMG_1854-2.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_1855-2.JPG not found

I bent solid aluminum bar stock. Attached fairing via aircraft type P clamps from Lowes. Bought fork clamps from online after I miced the correct diameter. All stainless hardware from Lowes as well.
Attachments:

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
08 Jul 2016 18:45 #734316 by kzdcw
KZP15, Appreciate the Pixs of your Bike with Maier Sport fairing. Maier makes 2 sizes of sport fairing. What size fairing is your mounted on the bike and do you have closer pictures of the mounting points of it ?

77' KZ1000A

More
08 Jul 2016 18:55 #734317 by KZP15
I only recall a square or round headlight? I would say small? Been awhile. I will shoot some pics this weekend.

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
08 Jul 2016 19:59 - 08 Jul 2016 20:00 #734330 by kzdcw
The Large Round Maier sport fairing # 00501 has a measurement of 8 3/4" from the inner headlight hole to the back of the fairing.

Where the Small Round Maier sport fairing # 00511 measures 5" from the inner headlight hole to the back of the fairing.

I'm thinking a "shorter" side length of the fairing would give better clearance with handlebar controls and gauges but am only guessing ? :unsure: Appreciate the time in answering my questions and possible pictures that you may provide :)

77' KZ1000A
Last edit: 08 Jul 2016 20:00 by kzdcw.