New kz750- need advice on cleaning it up

More
10 Sep 2015 13:17 #689508 by Sinaz20
I just purchased a kz750. Just joined the forum, and posted my hello thread. But I'm anxious to get to work on the bike.

One of the first things on my list is cleaning up the bike and seeing how much body/paint restoration it actually needs.

I've attached some images of trouble spots to give you an idea of the amount of oxidation and grime the bike has. It's pretty uniform all over the bike. Bolts have the most troublesome corrosion. Frame, suspension, and engine seem to mostly have superficial surface oxidation. The handlebars are nasty looking, but I plan on swapping them out entirely along with new levers and grips.

So, what I'm looking for is advice and guidance on at least a superficial restoration.

This is the first vehicle I've encountered with this level of rust and grime... so... I really have no idea what my approach should be. Explain it like I'm 5?

Appreciate it.

That's S I N A Z. He fights for the Users.
1981 kz750 E
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Sep 2015 13:34 #689511 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic New kz750- need advice on cleaning it up
If you plan on riding it, I'd do one thing at a time. You could just clean it and mask parts as you go. If you have to change head gaskets, that's a good time to paint the frame, head, etc. I started just polishing and painting. As time went on, other things stuck out, finally I had the money for a overhaul. That's when it really came together. One thing at a time, then move on. B)
Steve

Attachments:

More
10 Sep 2015 13:37 #689512 by Sinaz20
Replied by Sinaz20 on topic New kz750- need advice on cleaning it up
I think that's how it's going to be-- a few things at a time until I have to do something major.

Still though... are there any decent guides to restoring this kind of wear? The youtube videos I've found are just people polishing a few inches of their chrome pipes.

1981 kz750 E

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Sep 2015 13:42 #689514 by SWest
I used a wire brush wheel on a drill for the bad stuff, then went to steel wool, then polishing compound. I'd polish one cover, then the others would hit me in the eye. Kept telling myself one thing at a time. New tires? polish the wheels. In your case, polish and paint. After a while you look back and see how far you've gone. Makes you want to do more. :whistle:
Steve

More
10 Sep 2015 14:41 - 10 Sep 2015 14:51 #689531 by LineArtist
Replied by LineArtist on topic New kz750- need advice on cleaning it up
1 day at a time... I suggest you make sure the bike is mechanically reliable before replacing bars and considering paint. As you work on the bike you will remove parts. This is a very good opportunity to clean and polish smaller parts, nuts and bolts. 1 by 1 they start to add up. For cast aluminum a wire wheel on a drill or bench is your best friend. Fine grit steel wool and chrome polish on chrome. Some products work better that others but the less expensive stuff will do just fine with elbow grease.

Still plenty of work ahead but I'm happy where I am now 2 years down the road.

Attachment KZ650firstemail-2.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_3502-2.jpg not found

I did most of the work using these two products (together they cost less than $5)

Attachment pACE3-5886572enh-z7.jpg not found

Attachment k2-_a48b948c-fedf-43fe-8320-98dda9baad94.v1.jpg not found

And some of this to really get chrome and aluminum covers to look shiny

Attachment 51cPTQsow-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg not found

And this is my best friend

Attachment 81e3ARFF-jL._SL1000_.jpg not found

'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Sep 2015 14:51 by LineArtist.

More
10 Sep 2015 16:31 #689542 by Sinaz20
I did some cleaning of the wheels. Lots of grime. Some... tar, maybe, or corrosion that has been stained by tar remains. Seemingly I could scrub that down with a steel wire wheel like you guys suggest.

Are the front forks bare aluminum or some sort of... powdercoat? The forkslider is oxidized, but I can't figure out what the finish is.

The motorcycle itself runs fine.

I just noticed while hanging out with the bike that the handlebars are totally off center-- the PO shifted them several inches to the right to accommodate the stock master cylinder.

Uhhh... I'll probably post another thread soon fishing for ideas for replacement bars, and possibly new switch assemblies, master cylinder, and levers. But if anyone wants to chime in with ideas here, I'll read them. Looking for a tasteful, yet sporty forward posture... maybe not so low as clip ons, but something close... maybe with risers.

1981 kz750 E

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Sep 2015 17:30 #689550 by SWest
The bars I have on my bike fit well. I had taller bars and sat up. Wound up being hard on my back even though I was in my terrible twenties. :lol: After the wreck I got some lower ones, not stock, just a little taller. I'm leaning forward but can straighten up if I feel like it. My back loves it. :)
A full pic of the bike will help in getting opinions.
Steve

More
10 Sep 2015 18:31 #689553 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic New kz750- need advice on cleaning it up
I love my 2 1/2" to 3" high Euro touring bars on my KZ1000.
I did 60 miles yesterday and another 148 miles in the mountains today.... around 900 miles now since the overhaul and it is starting to kick some serious ass.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Sep 2015 19:07 #689558 by SWest

More
10 Sep 2015 21:25 #689561 by Sinaz20

the bike.

1981 kz750 E

More
11 Sep 2015 00:56 #689563 by Rustyhama
Replied by Rustyhama on topic Re:New kz750- need advice on cleaning it up
G'day, I have a similar 80 z750E but mine was probably dirtier than yours an mine was a non runner. The first thing I did was spray the crap out of it with Simple Green and a soft brush the a can of degreaser. Working on a filthy bike is no fun. My first job was to get her running. After that it was pull every thing off and completely clean each part.
I'm not doing a full resto but enough to get her looking sharp and running well. That's as far as my budget and free time allows. To clean it up you really need to pull it to bits so plan on having it off the road for a couple of months. By the end of it you'll know the bike inside out and you can be confident that she's all good!

Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project
www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59260.0

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Sep 2015 03:50 #689573 by SWest

Sinaz20 wrote:

the bike.

I think I'd attack that dent in the tank first. I've always wanted to try the freeze method on popping out the dent.
Steve