Ok How screwed am I (leaky tank)

• GregZ
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
07 Jul 2013 16:34 #595403 by GregZ
Ok How screwed am I (leaky tank) was created by GregZ
Well this blows. Yesterday smelled gas real bad in garage,couldn't find where it was coming from. Today same thing. Rode bike all day yesterday fine tuning smoothbores,bike is running spot on
Pulled plugs this morning all nice tan I was happy, bike running great
BAM!!! I find the gas smell. Crack in tank weld under the front of the seat by the hold down
Double F^%&* me

Ok what are my options. I reviewed all the tank liner kits. Eastwoods makes a kit that says will stop minor leaks. I have nothing to lose by trying one. Has anyone used this product ? the por15 kit says all leaks must be repaired before use. Then there is Redcoat??

Today I cleaned out tank with accetone and it's a pretty good leak. Pretty much every person who has seen the bike just loved the paint 2013 ford "ginger ale" off the new ford's
Any suggestions welcme
Here is crack area

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2013 17:00 #595407 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Ok How screwed am I (leaky tank)
If the tank appears solid other than that split you can have it brazed. Be sure the person brazing it has done other fuel tanks so he will know how to properly flush the fuel & fumes so he doesn't blow it (and himself) up. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
07 Jul 2013 17:12 #595409 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic Ok How screwed am I (leaky tank)
Caswell Plating has a kit that might do what you want. That way, you save the paint job. If it doesn't work, sounds like application of heat and molten metal is your final option.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike

• Mcdroid
  • Away
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
More
07 Jul 2013 17:16 #595411 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Ok How screwed am I (leaky tank)
I have heard (I actually have no direct experience, BTW) that Kreem tank liner, if applied correctly, will stop small leaks. I am also aware that there are numerous complaints about failure of the Kreem product to set-up properly...but that may be user error. I have also heard great things about the redcoat liner, but that there may also be application issues that will impact the paint scheme (again I have no direct experience).

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
07 Jul 2013 17:56 - 07 Jul 2013 18:04 #595414 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Ok How screwed am I (leaky tank)
+1 for the caswell plating kit. I used that on a friends tank for him. Zero problems in 4 years. prep is very important with any of the lining kits
Last edit: 07 Jul 2013 18:04 by DoctoRot.

More
14 Jul 2013 01:07 #596369 by car5car
Replied by car5car on topic Ok How screwed am I (leaky tank)
What is Suzuki paint code? Looks great!

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920

More
20 Aug 2013 13:28 #602314 by geerbangr
Replied by geerbangr on topic Ok How screwed am I (leaky tank)
Have you repaired your tank yet Greg ? I've been successful repairing tanks in the past. I like to flush the tank out and the keep a constant airflow going into the tank and exiting the petcock hole. Tig weld it and you'll be ready for touch up paint.

1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason