My rattle can work

More
02 Mar 2013 13:30 #574897 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic My rattle can work
I was so impressed by it the first night after seeing this I had a dream of you riding buy up town and me thinking there goes that bike and maybe I will stick with blue rather than yellow. lol.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
11 Mar 2013 00:05 - 11 Mar 2013 00:05 #576457 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic My rattle can work
Enamel paint and urethane 2-part clearcoat. That's what I was told for gas tanks due to the fuel issue. The other type of paint (lacquer) doesn't perform as well as enamel for gas tanks. However I was told if I really wanted to that it's okay to use lacquer paint on a if I put urethane 2-part clearcoat on the top.

Your paint job there is freaking inspiring dude. Mein gott.

And that Z1 tank? MEIN GOTT.

The part that makes me freak out is the decals. If they didn't cost so much, no big deal but they charge so much for the things. I have a Z1R '78 tank, front fender and tail section I have to paint soon. I'm gonna match the paint to some NOS '78 Z1R sidecovers I have -- the local body shop paint supplier said they will mix up rattle cans for amateurs like me (who are too lazy to rig up a paint gun/compressor/etc.) after matching the paint to my NOS side covers.

I'm gonna use enamel base coat and urethane 2-part clear coat, and wet sanding, and see how many years she holds up. If my tank looks like yours man I'll be a glad lazyazz painter.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker
Last edit: 11 Mar 2013 00:05 by newOld_kz1000.

More
11 Mar 2013 02:50 #576465 by DanVVArider
Replied by DanVVArider on topic My rattle can work
Wow, no denying how nice that rattle-can job turned out. When you've got a combination of consensus of opinion and people's experience on the effects of gasoline, let us know.

"CHOP 'TIL YA DROP!"

More
11 Mar 2013 05:16 #576474 by mick z1a
Replied by mick z1a on topic My rattle can work
a beautiful job youve done there, i agree with what Pete says, i watched the nozzle like it was holding nitro glis, doing that ensures it wont get splashed. i did a lot of rattle can jobs on bikes 25 years ago for our bike shop, never had a problem then, i gather the fuel is different now though.
hats off to you on that finish.

More
13 Mar 2013 13:12 #576810 by Jerod
Replied by Jerod on topic My rattle can work
Hey guys. Thanks for the continued complements. Sorry I've been absent. Duties here on deployment along with most "recreational" websites being blocked make it hard to keep up. I'm looking forward to getting back to the bike.

G.I.G.O.

1977 KZ650 C1 - Needs help.. almost as badly as I do.
2005 ZX10R - This one will probably kill me someday.