Professional Aluminum Polishers? Advice?

More
20 Oct 2012 11:31 #554843 by ramtough_63
Professional Aluminum Polishers? Advice? was created by ramtough_63
I have seen some serious polishing by a few members on here and I have done a couple with various processes

my Question is after initial polish do you aply any wax or windex or anything?

my most recent polish was with the white rouge and a wool buffung pad it shines beautifly
I have cleanes the residue off is there another process I should incorperate

NOTe: My polisher guy normaly finishes with the blue rouge and his personal stuff is perfect
so I dont know if he has a secret keeping it that way. but he showed me using mothers or neverdul
actually dulled the finish after he polished my swingarm (had it shining and the applied each
and it dulled it)

any tricks I dont know would be greatly appreciated

my latest was 800 grit on electric oribital and then white rouge and very nice finish but there were very little machine marks in my original

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2012 11:47 #554845 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Professional Aluminum Polishers? Advice?

ramtough_63 wrote: I have seen some serious polishing by a few members on here and I have done a couple with various processes

my most recent polish was with the white rouge and a wool buffung pad it shines beautifly

NOTe: My polisher guy normaly finishes with the blue rouge and his personal stuff is perfect
so I dont know if he has a secret keeping it that way. but he showed me using mothers or neverdul
actually dulled the finish after he polished my swingarm (had it shining and the applied each
and it dulled it)

my latest was 800 grit on electric oribital and then white rouge and very nice finish but there were very little machine marks in my original

KZr member, o.c.f.rider, says ---

As to waxes and such for alloy? A total waste of time, but it makes folks "feel" like they did something worthwhile.

For washing your polished goodies, just hose it off first and then I use regular Car Wash. Dry it off pronto. I use "Viva" paper towels because they're SUPER soft.

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/546303-metal-cleaner#546445

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
20 Oct 2012 11:55 #554848 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Professional Aluminum Polishers? Advice?

Patton wrote:

ramtough_63 wrote: I have seen some serious polishing by a few members on here and I have done a couple with various processes

and it dulled it)

KZr member, o.c.f.rider, says ---

As to waxes and such for alloy? A total waste of time, but it makes folks "feel" like they did something worthwhile.

For washing your polished goodies, just hose it off first and then I use regular Car Wash. Dry it off pronto. I use "Viva" paper towels because they're SUPER soft.

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/546303-metal-cleaner#546445

Good Fortune! :)

Thanks Patton Now I remember reading that

I look at my brothers bike and there are parts I cant tell if they are polished or he had them chromed ( I know they are polished but most dont)he has spent hundreds if not thousand hours learning to polish and does show quality work but we dont speak allot and if there is a secret he is gonna keep it lol

1978 KZ1000 A2
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100

More
20 Oct 2012 17:57 #554874 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Professional Aluminum Polishers? Advice?
I have no idea what it's called but I remember seeing a product sold by Eastwood (I think) that you sprayed on like paint. It supposedly would last a few months before wearing off. You finished your polishing and then sprayed it on. Was clear and held the shine and then you just polish when necessary and re-covered. I'm certain I seen something about it on here but it was a while ago so I can't remember if it was a topic solely on this subject or something stuck into another topic.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
21 Oct 2012 13:03 #554972 by Gman
Replied by Gman on topic Professional Aluminum Polishers? Advice?
Just my own experience, if I don't apply wax, the aluminum will start oxidizing within a few weeks and I have to polish it again to bring back the luster. When I apply a coat of wax after the polish, it will last all summer. Your results may vary.

1978 KZ1000
1965 Harly Electra Glide
2002 Gold Wing
1974 Z1 900 project

More
21 Oct 2012 13:10 #554973 by ramtough_63

racer54 wrote: I have no idea what it's called but I remember seeing a product sold by Eastwood (I think) that you sprayed on like paint. It supposedly would last a few months before wearing off. You finished your polishing and then sprayed it on. Was clear and held the shine and then you just polish when necessary and re-covered. I'm certain I seen something about it on here but it was a while ago so I can't remember if it was a topic solely on this subject or something stuck into another topic.

i think i found it on eastwoods site but the my adhd took over lol saw lots of cool shiney supplies
and didnt go back to it :laugh:

I did find out the blue rouge is for plastic but im tellin you from what I have seen it takes a nice polish job to a show polish job. I'm gonna buty a different pad for my HF buffer until I can get
a bench polisher

1978 KZ1000 A2
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
21 Oct 2012 13:30 #554979 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Professional Aluminum Polishers? Advice?
Wax it B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
21 Oct 2012 13:46 #554982 by kzcurt
Replied by kzcurt on topic Professional Aluminum Polishers? Advice?
I would swear by,and highly recommend, Wizards products! For where you are with the polish level you would want their 'Metal Sealant'. NAPA carries the Wizards line of products at least around here...
Never dull and Mothers are way too abrasive for the level of polish you are at, thats why they dull the finish.
What you want to do if your satisfied with the polish level, you just want to seal it to stop any oxidation going forward.
Try it, you'll like it ;)

Flag carrier #23
9 @ 50-2053,

More
21 Oct 2012 16:02 #554990 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Professional Aluminum Polishers? Advice?
My buddy ran some tests with homeade sea water before we went to the beach this year. He tried a couple different metal sealers, and the all made a huge difference. Bare polished alum turned black after a couple spritzes(sp?) And one night, all of the sealed ones looked good. A product by wolfgang metalwerks or something like that preformed the best, and held its polish until he got bored of spraying it with saltwater everyday! I will see if I still have the link

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
21 Oct 2012 16:05 #554992 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Professional Aluminum Polishers? Advice?

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
21 Oct 2012 16:22 #554995 by ramtough_63
thats the stuff its a little pricey but im sure well worth it

1978 KZ1000 A2
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100

• Kawiman80
  • User
  • On my 2nd KZ1000
More
21 Oct 2012 17:02 #554999 by Kawiman80
Replied by Kawiman80 on topic Professional Aluminum Polishers? Advice?
I seen onGearz a product called Zoops. Its a cleaner and sealer. I think. Just my .02

1980 kz1000g 1105 34mm Mikuni flat slides Kerker exhaust custom paint stock ignition(Dyna 2000 soon) Accel coils and wires stock cams w/ heavy springs for more rpm. My 2nd 1000.