Carbon Fiber Bodywork

More
01 Sep 2010 12:40 #395424 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Carbon Fiber Side Cover
i am sorry to say that i did.
total dumba$$ deal.
me and my buddy were riding side by side each in our own lane on a divided four lane street about 12:30 am headed home after a few hours of cruising around town(tulsa).we were approaching a street that we could have either went right or left on,i looked over at my buddy to see which turn signal he had on.when i looked right i drifted left into a center turn lane,and when i looked up i was centered up on the curb(5/6 inches tall 90 degree curb)for the center median running 40mph.i jerked the bike to the right and nailed the rear brake,i got the frontend passed the curb but had the bike sliding sideways when the rear tire hit the curb flipping the bike(highside/barrel roll style)so me and the bike flipped through the air and i came down with my head first on the curb.then i laid out and the bike came down and trapped my right foot under the tail piece and the seat and we slid down the road a little ways and came to a stop.when i came to (must have blacked out/got knocked out)i am kicking my legs trying to get out from under the bike and looking for traffic (which i figure is about to run over me).when i got my leg free i jumped up and grabbed my bike to snatch it up and thats when the pain (and sounds of broken bones)hit me. i hollered at my buddy who is still sitting on his bike looking at me like i just got killed,with his mouth open and a wtf look on his face and told him i needed help getting my bike up.he came over and lifted my bike up while i tried to help.he asked me if i could get on his bike and get me and it outta the street,which i did.he then pushed my bike into the parking lot i had pulled into and we checked it out and got it into neutral and hit the starter button and got it fired up.my right handlebar was bent down beside the fork leg and the bar and switch housing dented my tank.he goes "i can ride your bike can you ride mine?"i said "yeah,lets get the he!! outta here".he rode my bike to my house and i rode his bike(2007 h-d dyna superglide with risers and drag bars)30 miles with a broken collar bone(that is separated from my shoulder)to my house then woke my wife up and told her i wrecked the z1r and needed to go to the e-r.
suck story i know.
but my buddy that was with me and another friend came out the next day and pulled all the bodywork off(it is now back in primer fixing to get some new black paint)and checked out the damage.my rear wheel got bent(should have another one here tomorrow or friday)bars wasted,fairing ground up bad(repairable tho)windshield busted,dash cracked,right side switch housing ground down,right side foot pegs ground down,front brake perch and lever wasted,grips toast,right side fairing bracket broken(z1r specific sand cast alu).i had built some highway pegs that had the brackets just welded to the end of some pipe and clamped to my down tubes,those helped save alot.my points cover got some mild rash(which i have already machined out)my header got banged up.
i am trying to get me and it ready to ride by the 18th of this month because we have a memorial ride and party for my cousin(who's kz 900 i am building in tribute and which will recieve your carbon fiber bits).
fortunately i had my helmet on(wished i had my gloves and jacket on would have saved me a lot of road rash)i wasted a brand new (first time to ever wear)pangea speed t-shirt.wore the back out of it :) .the bike is fixable,i'll heal.
the good new is it is not the last dumba$$ed move i'll ever make :laugh: .that one is yet to come :ohmy: .

here is the best side cover pic i have handy.

i'll get some better ones and the backsides.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
01 Sep 2010 12:50 #395428 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Carbon Fiber Side Cover
Wow Leon! Sorry to hear of your crash, but you already know that it happens to all of us sooner or later. I guess this is why you needed that right side fairing bracket? Hope you get to feeling better soon. Sounds like you have the right attitude.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
01 Sep 2010 12:58 #395429 by 531blackbanshee
thanks testa,
life ain't easy for asphalt cowboys.
been twelve years since my last dismount,i'm going to try to go longer next time :laugh: .

leon

1976 kz 900 x 3

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
01 Sep 2010 12:59 - 01 Sep 2010 13:00 #395430 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Carbon Fiber Side Cover
Sorry to hear about the crash, Leon. Glad to hear u weren't hurt too badly. Good luck with the repairs.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 01 Sep 2010 13:00 by mark1122.

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
01 Sep 2010 13:07 - 01 Sep 2010 13:08 #395431 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Carbon Fiber Side Cover
Holy Crap Leon, it's a good thing it was so late you didn't have traffic to run you over, and you were able to ride away with out dealing with smokey. Like they say in aviation: any landing you walk away from is a good landing, any landing the plane can still fly away from is a great landing. You just had a good day, rather than a great day :laugh: ;) How far along is your tribute bike? I wish I could get you your carbon bodywork by then, but the best I could do is the sidecovers. The tail will have to wait (for obvious reasons ;) ) I can't recall if you were planning to run the steel tank or a composite one? Heal up for that tribute ride and thanks for the pic. It will be a simple mold, the time and effort will go into the jig to locate the pins in the correct plane and location

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end
Last edit: 01 Sep 2010 13:08 by porchev914.

More
01 Sep 2010 13:40 #395437 by 531blackbanshee
the tribute bike is more scattered than together.it is in the trying to get the "right pieces together" stage.once i have all the right pieces we will get serious and knock it out.the plan has been kz steel tank with stock style graphics on a black base(with a custom mural on the top of the tank) with air brushed kz900 decals on your side covers and the graphics that match the tank on the tail with the carbon as the base.irish will upper triple,gixxer 1000 lower tripple busa legs spoked 17's front and rear with a 6 inch wide rear rim and 200mm tire.custom swingarm,sidewinder pipe 1075 cc engine(just waiting on me to finish the portwork).
the paint scheme will be similar to this members bike.

leon

1976 kz 900 x 3

Attachments:

More
01 Sep 2010 13:45 #395440 by 531blackbanshee
porchev914 wrote:

Holy Crap Leon, it's a good thing it was so late you didn't have traffic to run you over, and you were able to ride away with out dealing with smokey. Like they say in aviation: any landing you walk away from is a good landing, any landing the plane can still fly away from is a great landing. You just had a good day, rather than a great day :laugh: ;) How far along is your tribute bike? I wish I could get you your carbon bodywork by then, but the best I could do is the sidecovers. The tail will have to wait (for obvious reasons ;) ) I can't recall if you were planning to run the steel tank or a composite one? Heal up for that tribute ride and thanks for the pic. It will be a simple mold, the time and effort will go into the jig to locate the pins in the correct plane and location

i don't know how we did not get to chat with the popo,good timing i guess :) .
my buddy has this theory about being a grateful victim.
kinda wierd how sometimes you can be a victim,but still be grateful it wasn't no worse.

leon

1976 kz 900 x 3

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Sep 2010 18:29 #395490 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Carbon Fiber Side Cover
531blackbanshee wrote:

the tribute bike is more scattered than together.it is in the trying to get the "right pieces together" stage.once i have all the right pieces we will get serious and knock it out.the plan has been kz steel tank with stock style graphics on a black base(with a custom mural on the top of the tank) with air brushed kz900 decals on your side covers and the graphics that match the tank on the tail with the carbon as the base.irish will upper triple,gixxer 1000 lower tripple busa legs spoked 17's front and rear with a 6 inch wide rear rim and 200mm tire.custom swingarm,sidewinder pipe 1075 cc engine(just waiting on me to finish the portwork).
the paint scheme will be similar to this members bike.

leon

It's funny you posted a pic of that paint scheme, I had decided to do the same paint scheme for my bike. I'm going to have the carbon fiber base with the main trim color Pearl white and the secondary trim color a dark Pearl red. It should look bad ass.
The tribute bike sounds like a bad ass machine, a cross between a drag bike and a street fighter B)

FRANKEN Z!

More
02 Sep 2010 07:27 #395582 by 531blackbanshee
the paint scheme you are talking about sounds like it should be really cool,i can't wait to see it.

leon

1976 kz 900 x 3

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Sep 2010 09:04 - 07 Sep 2010 09:05 #396730 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Carbon Fiber Bodywork
I know you're still banged up and trying to get you bike back together Leon, so don't worry about the Z1 tail. Trianglelaguna has offered to lend me one of his, and you've already helped me so much. His will need a little more prep, but it's no biggie. I just didn't want to inconvienence you if I didn't have to. Thanks again for everything Leon, and Thanks for the tail Craig B)

FRANKEN Z!
Last edit: 07 Sep 2010 09:05 by porchev914.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
07 Sep 2010 09:23 #396738 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Carbon Fiber Side Cover
heres the tail next to a kz1000..i think it is almost perfect just some overspray? from some p.o spraying near it...i'll have it in the afteernoon mail and can fit another book in the box,,,peace...keep up the nice work

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
07 Sep 2010 09:24 #396739 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Carbon Fiber Side Cover
another

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife