Carbon Fiber Bodywork

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
16 Aug 2010 09:05 #391285 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Carbon Fiber bolt on Side Covers
Adam, I'm with Leon. I like the original orientation. That red tint is different. It looks like a carbon fiber tailight lens to me.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
16 Aug 2010 09:45 #391301 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Carbon Fiber bolt on Side Covers
I picked that tint SPECIFICALLY to pull mark deeper into the thread. I was curious what the tint would look like, and possibilities it makes available. I also want to pick up some Pearl and try that as well, it also comes in colors, but is much more subtle than the tint.

Leon, the epoxy resins DO NOT contain any UV inhibitors. I have yet to find a commercially available epoxy resin that does. I have asked suppliers and searched forums, and have been told it exists, but I can't find info on someone using it or selling it. Everyone clearcoats the part, whether it's automotive or marine applications for UV protection. And to be perfectly honest, I think a few coats of clear will make these covers look even better. It would give them much more depth, more of a 3D look I think

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Aug 2010 09:49 #391308 by porchev914
testarossa wrote:

Adam, I'm with Leon. I like the original orientation. That red tint is different. It looks like a carbon fiber tailight lens to me.

Thanks for your input Josh ;) I realized that I didn't label that test panel. :blush: On the right is carbon, the left is fiberglass, and center is the hybrid stuff. The tint definitely tones down the look of the fabric, kinda hiding it until you get closer......

FRANKEN Z!

More
16 Aug 2010 12:23 - 16 Aug 2010 12:25 #391420 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Carbon Fiber bolt on Side Covers
"Leon, the epoxy resins DO NOT contain any UV inhibitors. I have yet to find a commercially available epoxy resin that does. I have asked suppliers and searched forums, and have been told it exists, but I can't find info on someone using it or selling it. Everyone clearcoats the part, whether it's automotive or marine applications for UV protection. And to be perfectly honest, I think a few coats of clear will make these covers look even better. It would give them much more depth, more of a 3D look I think"

adam,
so then does the clear come with uv inhibitors already or do you have to get some certain clear that is specified with uv inhibitors?
sorry for all the ?'s but you are the smartest guy "i know" about composites,hehe :P .

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Last edit: 16 Aug 2010 12:25 by 531blackbanshee.

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Aug 2010 17:12 #391496 by porchev914
Any of your automotive clear coats have uv protection built in. Base coats are for color only and rely on the clearcoat for protection(uv), gloss and durability. I'm less informed on marine specific clearcoats, but it says on the packaging. I may go buy a can of duplicolor clear to spray on one or two of the sidecovers to see what effect it has on the apperance.

I'm fairly certain now that once I have my small issues with the sidecovers well in hand, I will cast a tank mold (after the tail piece mold, don't worry guys). While my failures are disappointing, they provide valuable lessons that I have not otherwise found answers to. My successes have emboldened me to just go for it :silly: And if I fail? A spectacular failure it will be! I, for one, look forward to it.

And Leon, I would consider myself a moderately knowlegable amature, at BEST. If I'm the smartest composite guy you know, well, I feel for ya bud!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

FRANKEN Z!

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Aug 2010 23:41 #391825 by porchev914
I got the tail prepped for primer and spot putty. There are a couple small spots where something rubbed into the plastic that require minor repair. Then I'll spray it with primer

When I make the flange, I got some spray adhesive rather than use the construction glue I've been using. I'm hoping it'll make flange construction much quicker and easier.

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Aug 2010 23:52 - 17 Aug 2010 23:59 #391827 by porchev914
After the tail, I started stripping the tank. Luckily there isn't much to do except remove the cap, petcock and emblems.

The tank had several surface blemishes, so I decided to simply sand the whole tank in prep for primer. I also figured that there was some dents hiding around there, so now was the time to find 'em

The next several steps are the same as they were for the sidecovers, so unless the readers of my thread want to see me post the steps again, I'll hold off until I have new steps or new molds to share.

Also, I have been debating whether to include the tank in this thread, or start a dedicated tank thread, since this started as a sidecover thread. Any suggestions or preferences guys?

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Aug 2010 23:59 by porchev914.

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Aug 2010 00:21 #391828 by porchev914
For now, the tanks stays here. I decided that if I was going to do the tank, I might as well make the molds concurrently with the tail

the tank and tail were sanded with 220 and a DA sander. The painted stripes were removed and a few dents located. Nothing major, but I'll fill them in. I cut off the cap hardware, and I'll need to trim down the filler neck and fill in the low spot around it. That way the top of the tank is smooth for mold casting. The tank will be cast into 2 molds, a top and a bottom. The bottom will be a one piece mold, but the top will have to be a 2 piece. When the tank is made, it will be in 2 pieces which will be joined afterwards. In case anyone is wondering, it is my intent to make it so the OEM emblems can be bolted back onto the tank

I will say this, I never dreamed that I'd be making a tank when I started this project 8 months ago :ohmy:

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:

More
18 Aug 2010 07:09 #391863 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Carbon Fiber Side Cover
after reading the thread on the sv gas tank i am not surprised that you decided that was not that far off from what you have already done.
when i was reading that thread i though"adam will end up making a tank also".
i think it is cooler than he!! that you will jump on building a tank.a full carbon bodied,single sided swingarmed custom kz1000 is no undertaking for the faint of heart.

don't look back now :ohmy: ,

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
18 Aug 2010 09:56 #391899 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Carbon Fiber Side Cover
Your motivation factor makes me think mine is in reverse :P :P

You will definetly have a one off bike when done. I love it

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
18 Aug 2010 11:04 #391906 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Carbon Fiber Side Cover
Kawickrice wrote:

Your motivation factor makes me think mine is in reverse :P :P

You will definetly have a one off bike when done. I love it

You are so right.
just reading Adams thread makes me tired. Adam i commend u on your perseverance , tiresome work ethics, and skills. B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Aug 2010 12:41 #391926 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Carbon Fiber body body
:laugh: Thanks guys, I'll have to show this to the wife to prove that SOMEONE doesn't think I'm just a lazy idiot :laugh:

And to think it all started with checking the valves..... :ohmy: I had though that using the single sided swingarm would separate my bike out and make it unique, but since I've started it, all the guys from the forum have posted lots of pics of other sssa Kz's. So it's rare, but not exactly unique I really didn't know how much I wanted my bike to be unique until now. I had a pretty good idea of my goal in the beginning of the build, but the final idea has shifted somewhat.

I picked up a few more supplies to allow me to complete the molds I will be making. I may need some odds and ends here or there, but I have the bulk of it on hand now.

I decided to separate the tank into it's own thread. Since this thread started as a sidecover thread, it'll be easier for guys searching to find a dedicated thread than to sift through this one. I still use this one for the remainder of the sidecovers and the tailpiece though, and cross link the two. Any questions?

Just to reiterate: the skills I am using to make these molds and parts are rudimentary, and there are only a few of them. Anyone of you is capable of learning to do everything I am in a short period of time. I have done (what seems like) a signifigant amount of learning just posting this thread, and hope that the mistakes I've shown will help many of you to shortcut the pitfalls and get better results faster than I did.....and I'm STILL working on it :laugh: I would like to hear from anyone that has undertaken or plans to undertake a composite project.....anyone?

FRANKEN Z!