Painting Tank

More
25 Feb 2010 07:57 #350055 by FrankySwarm
Painting Tank was created by FrankySwarm
Hey just wanted to check with the experts before i used a product to re-coat my rusty gas tank innards. Any recommendations???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2010 08:01 #350056 by chance
Replied by chance on topic Painting Tank
How rusty is the inside any rust flake?

More
25 Feb 2010 08:38 #350062 by FrankySwarm
Replied by FrankySwarm on topic Painting Tank
Its a pretty even surface coating, not really any scales or flakes though

More
25 Feb 2010 08:42 #350066 by chance
Have you thought of cleaning it with a phosphorus acid ? Do you know of this plus there are other ways to clean surface rust..

More
25 Feb 2010 08:54 #350070 by FrankySwarm
Yeah i have acid ready to clean it,its really just a question of the porduct i will use to seal the inside afterwords.

More
25 Feb 2010 08:59 #350072 by chance

More
25 Feb 2010 09:27 #350077 by FrankySwarm
Thanks!

More
27 Feb 2010 05:11 #350342 by Gman
Replied by Gman on topic Painting Tank
I personally am not a big fan of coating the inside of fuel tanks. I have seen too many tanks the coating had adhesion problems and just caused a mess. I have had good luck with just phosphoric acid treatment and then keeping the tank completely full of gasoline during storage. However, your results may vary.

1978 KZ1000
1965 Harly Electra Glide
2002 Gold Wing
1974 Z1 900 project

More
27 Feb 2010 05:33 #350344 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Painting Tank
As with any chemical based treatment/coating, if not truly applied correctly to exact instructions... can & will turn out bad...

Ok, with that said, I used the Kreme product, 3 part tank treatment with no issues to date... Worked extremely well on cleaning the rust out of my tank as well as sealing it up around the seams...

Motorcycle shops, ~ $25 for the kit...

It's easy to use and worked wonders... Now I had some pretty bad rust & flaking going on... Throw some stainless steel nuts and bolts in there, let the chemical sit overnight per instruction, pour a little out, swish the tank SS nuts around to really bang them flakes out of there....

Seriously, tank was spotless when done... Actually was amazed how clean it was... Then part 2 for prepping the inner tank walls for part 3. Then if desired, part 3 for the final coat in sealing the inner tank & seams if you chose...

Crap works what more can I add to this... Now if these chemical kits truly didn't work, they'd have a whole slew of complaints & what reputable shop in their right mind would be selling this stuff...

Anyhow, the Kreme kit worked wonders on my tank...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
27 Feb 2010 06:16 #350348 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Painting Tank
The Kreem liner in my tank is 20+ yrs old.
The rust wasn't that bad & I followed the instructions.
I did a pretreatment w MEK & some ss nuts to make sure the surface was as clean as possible prior to using the kit.

More
27 Feb 2010 06:22 - 27 Feb 2010 06:37 #350349 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Painting Tank
I took my tank to a radiator shop and they did everything for $75 Cleaned it and coated it. I was ready to do it myself also and by the time I added up all the cost of the components and time it just wasn't worth it. There was a huge post about this, about last May or June on this websight. This is the tank I wound up having done plus another just like it fore a spare. I plan on taking two KZ1300 tanks to the guy this spring to have done plus a GPz1100 tank fore a spare. The guy did a fantastic job. On one of these 750 Zephyr tanks the tank was rusted all the way threw in a couple of spots. He divoted the tank in those spots and soldered up all the holes before he coated the inside. I was and still am very happy. I would stay away from any of the epoxy coatings and go with a one part coating. If you know you are going to do a perfect job than the Epoxy is the best. But if you do not do a perfect job than you are screwed. There is no way to remove the epoxy but to burn it out. I know I found out the hard way. The single part coatings are also very good and if you screw it up you can wash them out with MEK or any store brand paint stripper. Personally I would just have it done right the first time and be happy.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Feb 2010 06:37 by otakar.

More
27 Feb 2010 08:10 #350378 by chance
Gman wrote:

I personally am not a big fan of coating the inside of fuel tanks. I have seen too many tanks the coating had adhesion problems and just caused a mess. I have had good luck with just phosphoric acid treatment and then keeping the tank completely full of gasoline during storage. However, your results may vary.

I have one of my tanks kreemed and was always pulling my petcock was that white flakes out my screen and somehow it would get past the petcock screen and into my float needles ..Big mess I would do as other suggested try to clean without a liner. I've alway heard that a restorer would rather see a rusty tank than one with a liner deprecates the bike..