gas tank painting

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
09 Dec 2009 04:30 #338174 by 9am53
gas tank painting was created by 9am53
I heat-gunned my gas tank in prep for new paint. The tank is in awesome shape, there were 2 spots of rust that easily sanded off with 220 grit, so that tank is now flawless, no dents or nothing! I have the tank down to old primer and some bare metal. I am dupli-coloring it. Would it be best to adhesion-promoter the tank first and then prime, or just prime without the adhesion promoter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2009 04:53 #338177 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic gas tank painting
Adhesion promoter not required on metal that has ruff surface.... Chrome or plastics then yes... Same time, wont hurt anything if you do...

I used a light coat of etch primer first on mine to obtain a good bond then the Metal Cast ground base...

Let cure then wet sand lightly to remove dust bunnies, imperfections what ever....

Don't forget, wipe with a prep rag before coatings after cure times to remove any dust...;)

Questions, whats the inside look like?
If rusted at all, do your Kreme or other product first...

Pictures though out are required... Maybe in a little tutorial of sorts aye (Canadian lingo)... :P

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
09 Dec 2009 04:59 - 09 Dec 2009 04:59 #338178 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic gas tank painting
Am thinking there is primer for bare plastic and a different primer for bare metal.

At least some adhesion-promoters (such as Bulldog) are applied over the primer, not before the primer. The idea being to enhance bite of paint to primer coat.

Would suggest closely following the instructions provided with the particular product or brand.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 09 Dec 2009 04:59 by Patton.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
09 Dec 2009 05:00 #338179 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic gas tank painting
haha love the canadian vernacular! The inside is pristine, I got lucky with the tank! I am planning on taking some pics and posting it in my project thread...I guess the adhesion promoter won't hurt nothing.

How did you like it up north? you just missed the storm didn't you?

More
09 Dec 2009 05:46 #338185 by Old Man Rock
-5 Average day time, night ~ -9 then had a few days with wind @ -14 degrees.... 10-14 hour days, all outside work...

In a 5 day time frame, witnessed a running river freeze over... :blink:

So yeah, had a great time (sarcasm)... :angry: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

More
09 Dec 2009 05:49 - 09 Dec 2009 05:56 #338186 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic gas tank painting
id use something to chemically treat the areas that were rusted,rust gets into pores of metal and tends to come back if not treated. B) ive been using this stuff for more than 25 years,used to come in white bottle.spray it on let it turn black then sand/prime.when i strip old car bodys ill glass bead them 1st then go over whole body inside and out top-bottem with this stuff ,youd be suprised how much more stuff shows up then i glass bead again.i also let this stuff soak down into corners of body seams where you cant get at to seat them up before blasting everything with dp primer. B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Dec 2009 05:56 by PLUMMEN.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
09 Dec 2009 05:52 #338188 by 9am53
You know what...living in paradise (arizona) must get boring, actually having a change of seasons and having different things to do and see every 3 months is nice. Ice fishing and skiing and ski-dooing etc. make not riding bearable. If you had a chance to get away from work you may have actually enjoyed the cold!

Tonight I have been ordered by the boss to stay home and be all domestic and whatnot, but I will take some pics and post results thursday. I Think I will follow the direstions on the cans like Patton said as this would have saved me lots of time and money a week ago... thanks boys

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
09 Dec 2009 05:56 #338189 by 9am53
PLUMMEN wrote:

id use something to chemically treat the areas that were rusted,rust gets into pores of metal and tends to come back if not treated. B)

I will take some phosphoric acid home from work and let it sit on the formerly rusty spots for a while to reduce whatever rust might be there.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
09 Dec 2009 06:00 #338192 by 9am53
btw, has anybody ever bondo filled and rounded the pinch weld on the bottom edge of the tank? I am strongly thinking about it, but am worried about the bondo deciding to fall off one day since that bottom edge is kind of vulnerable.

More
09 Dec 2009 06:00 #338193 by Old Man Rock
Ice fishing and skiing 2.5 hours away.... Play time in snow, sure but don't want to live in it... Been there, done that, no thanks...

But here in AZ, shoveling sunshine off the drive way get's tiring no doubt! :P :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

More
09 Dec 2009 06:11 #338196 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic gas tank painting
9am53 wrote:

btw, has anybody ever bondo filled and rounded the pinch weld on the bottom edge of the tank? I am strongly thinking about it, but am worried about the bondo deciding to fall off one day since that bottom edge is kind of vulnerable.

try one of eastwoods leadfree solder kits,auto body solder/lead holds up much better than bondo on any kind of stressed area. B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
09 Dec 2009 06:13 #338198 by 9am53
geez, how much solder would you need to fill that edge?