Clear Coat

More
05 Apr 2007 12:51 #126759 by duncan
Replied by duncan on topic Clear Coat
here's an option for gas proof clearcoat:

www.colorrite.com/index.php?cPath=24

www.colorrite.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=866

i've ordered a few cans, and i'm just waiting for the outside temperature to get up to 70 degrees so i can try it out in the garage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
05 Apr 2007 12:55 #126760 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Clear Coat
duncan wrote:

here's an option for gas proof clearcoat:
www.colorrite.com/index.php?cPath=24

Yep. That'll do. A bit pricier than the PJ on a local can basis, but it'll do.

The S&H tariff on the ordered PJ is probably because of HAZMAT regs...

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
05 Apr 2007 13:03 #126763 by Pterosaur
Vter Bob wrote:

PT, don't sugarcoat it, tell me how you really feel.....:P

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Vter, I was *just* pulling back the PM I sent on that when you opened it and yanked it right out of my hand. Saw this, and was just gonna paste the text. My fingers thank you. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Painter I ain't. But at some point I'm going to squirt something on the bike. (I don't want to hear it Ron...) I have this feeling it would be kinda neat to have all the parts the same color. Being the ever frugal Vermonter of course I want to do it on the cheap. Chaepest backyard, under the tree, don't tell the neighbors paint shop around here wants $600 for a basecoat/clearcoat job. I paid $500 for the bike.....

I know materials are pricy but I could never get that paint job by the warden..errrr I mean that cute litle RED headed girl who was crazy enough to mary me. :woohoo:

Ruh-row, Rastrow.

All these waves are tellin' me that a series of posts about "How To Paint Your Tank Without Painting the Tree" is in my future...

Between posts and PMs, I can barely keep up with the traffic. Popular topic, cheap paint jobs...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Attachments:

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
05 Apr 2007 13:32 #126776 by Pterosaur
Vter Bob wrote:

Anyone have experience with this clearcoat? Says it's impervious the fuel, acid rain, etc.

tinyurl.com/2flu79

Hey gang - wanna see sumpthin funny? ;)

While giving the respective clear kit/can websites a gander, something struck me a little funny - a quick lesson in Marketing BS 101:

Compare this: Color Rite"
To this: Express Paint

Notice anything fishy?

There are many different clears on the market and they may not be compatible with our paint. We only test and recommend our own products. Use of any other brands is highly discouraged and ExpressPaint is not responsible for any reactions that may occure due to improper chemicals.

Check the labels on the clear cans.

It's the same bloody stuff.

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2007/04/05 18:38

More
05 Apr 2007 15:36 #126804 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Clear Coat
Hey PT, as long as we're on the subject. As I said, earlier in this thread, I did a pretty slap-dash job last summer and painted the fenders. I'd like to go back to the chrome but there are quite a few small pits thru the chrome. Cleaned up it doesn't look bad but the pits rust pretty quick. Do you think the PJ1 would be a good sealer, to stop the rust and not look bad?
Thanks

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
05 Apr 2007 16:19 #126821 by Pterosaur
ronjones wrote:

Hey PT, as long as we're on the subject. As I said, earlier in this thread, I did a pretty slap-dash job last summer and painted the fenders. I'd like to go back to the chrome but there are quite a few small pits thru the chrome. Cleaned up it doesn't look bad but the pits rust pretty quick. Do you think the PJ1 would be a good sealer, to stop the rust and not look bad?
Thanks

Personally, no.

If you scuffed the fenders before shooting, you're screwed anyway - no way to get those kind of marks (scuff) out of chrome.

If you shot paint over the fenders without ruffing them up, get yourself some gloves and a bobble of el-cheapo house paint or furniture stripper - it's weaker - and start gooping 'em up and wiping 'em down with finer grade steel wool until the paint's gone.

Then go at the pits with dry steel wool, until the metal's clean, polish it with your favorite metal polish, wipe clean with a rag, apply wax and stay after 'em with the wax.

Clearing won't do you much good, and will only be a bigger headache later on.

Once chrome's pitted, especually sheet metal like fenders, there's not much that can be done except to minimize the appearance of the pits. :pinch:

More
05 Apr 2007 16:52 #126840 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Clear Coat
I thought so, but had to ask. I don't think I was dumb enough to skuff the chrome when I painted them. I know I used, something called, an "adheasion promoter". The paint's flaking off anyway. I'll have to ask my parts guy if he has a better fender, after I take it back down.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades