Shortening Forks

• Kellen79_650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Sep 2006 16:20 #80530 by Kellen79_650
Shortening Forks was created by Kellen79_650
I am in the process of bobbing by 79' 650 and I would like to avoid raking the front end, but the fact is that my forks are just too long to make the bike level after it's hardtailed. What is the feasibility of actually shortening the forks a couple inches? Does this have to be done professionally or can the average grease monkey do it?

"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs NOTHING to be a Patriot."

~Mark Twain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2006 16:34 #80533 by mjkawa
Replied by mjkawa on topic Shortening Forks
Slide the forks up in the tripple trees.
Dont know if this will keep the look that you want, but is is easy.:)
I think even a monkey could do it:P

82 KZ-1000-J
77 KZ650 B

More
29 Sep 2006 16:52 #80536 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Shortening Forks
Like he said, slide 'em up through the triple clamps. I will be doing the same on mine - I jacked the back end up a bit to have the same effect as deraking it, now I'm going to shorten up the forks a bit and drop the backend down to stock to lower the CG but retain the quicker handling.

More
29 Sep 2006 17:43 #80542 by ratmeister
Replied by ratmeister on topic Shortening Forks
If I slide the forks into the trees, I cant fit my drag bars in the clamps. Can I cut any length from the top of the fork, or is there any other way without loseing where the bars go?

Thanks, Rob

• Kellen79_650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Sep 2006 18:16 #80548 by Kellen79_650
Replied by Kellen79_650 on topic Shortening Forks
I can see just raising my forks if it only had to move up a 1/2 inch or so, but they are probably going to have to go up 3 inches or more. That is just way too much sticking out the top. I want to know if it is possible to have them physically shortened?

"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs NOTHING to be a Patriot."

~Mark Twain

• wireman
  • Visitor
29 Sep 2006 19:37 #80570 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Shortening Forks
forking by frank does that kind of work.;)i think your 2-3" number is gonna be a little much though:S this bike had the tubes slid up about 3/4" in the trees and 10 1/4" shocks on rear.with my 200lbs on it i had about 2 1/2-3" of ground clearance under header.lower rear of bike to where you want it,then raise your tubes in the trees till its level and see what it looks like.the 650 tubes are about 3/4" shorter than 1000 tubes right out of box.;)

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/09/29 23:17
Attachments:

More
30 Sep 2006 21:39 #80853 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic Shortening Forks
slide it down and get clipons

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

More
30 Sep 2006 21:49 #80857 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Shortening Forks
... look into swapping some regular telescopic forks from different sportbikes. These are usually shorter than the ones you've got. Even the GPz/ZX A forks were shorter IIRC. :)

More
30 Sep 2006 22:02 #80860 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Shortening Forks
theres a way to put in a spacer to lower the forks, i think its usually pvc pipe that people use, not to be confused with putting a spacer on top of the springs to stiffen up the front end. im sure someone with the know how can elaborate on this. I just remember reading it on here some time ago, and cant remember where...

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
30 Sep 2006 22:03 #80861 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Shortening Forks
77KZ650 wrote:

theres a way to put in a spacer to lower the forks, i think its usually pvc pipe that people use, not to be confused with putting a spacer on top of the springs to stiffen up the front end. im sure someone with the know how can elaborate on this. I just remember reading it on here some time ago, and cant remember where...

Effects handling significantly though...

More
30 Sep 2006 22:25 #80864 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Shortening Forks
caffcruiser wrote:

Effects handling significantly though...

in what way though?

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
30 Sep 2006 23:07 #80874 by dnestell
Replied by dnestell on topic Shortening Forks
i think you can buy shorter fork tubes? i thought i heard that a while back on the forum.