Shortening Forks

More
03 Oct 2006 15:31 #81561 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Shortening Forks

Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2006/10/03 21:16

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kellen79_650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Oct 2006 15:51 #81569 by Kellen79_650
Replied by Kellen79_650 on topic Shortening Forks
wireman wrote:

that 5 degrees is gonna put it in weeds by itself without cutting forks.all of that rake is gonna make corners a major pain for ya though!;)

I think I see where you are coming from though, but I would do one or the other. If I get the rake done, it is going to be enough to level the bike without shortening the forks. I wanted to look into shortening the forks to avoid doing the rake. My bike will only be about 5" off the ground when done, so I expect to be in the weeds one way or another.

"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs NOTHING to be a Patriot."

~Mark Twain

More
03 Oct 2006 15:55 #81570 by caffcruiser

Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2006/10/03 21:14

More
03 Oct 2006 16:27 #81582 by caffcruiser
Also, for what it's worth, I can tell you that Ducati Monster forks are a great upgrade in handling and rigidity... plus, they are about 2" shorter than your forks. The conversion isn't too aweful, and it would give your bobber a really heavy looking mean front end.

Check ebay. Prices are usually very reasonable.

• Kellen79_650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Oct 2006 17:04 #81590 by Kellen79_650
Replied by Kellen79_650 on topic Shortening Forks
caffcruiser wrote:

Also, for what it's worth, I can tell you that Ducati Monster forks are a great upgrade in handling and rigidity... plus, they are about 2" shorter than your forks. The conversion isn't too aweful, and it would give your bobber a really heavy looking mean front end.

Yeah I will have to look for those. Hopefully I can get them pretty cheap. The goal is to keep the whole build under $2000, not including what I paid for the bike. Is there any fab work that will have to be done, or is it a pretty straight forward switch with some minor mods?

"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs NOTHING to be a Patriot."

~Mark Twain

More
03 Oct 2006 17:24 #81594 by caffcruiser
Kellen79_650 wrote:

caffcruiser wrote:

Yeah I will have to look for those. Hopefully I can get them pretty cheap. The goal is to keep the whole build under $2000, not including what I paid for the bike. Is there any fab work that will have to be done, or is it a pretty straight forward switch with some minor mods?

Swap the KZ stem steering stem to the other forks and bolt up with the right bearing combination.

You don't have to stick to the Monsters either. ZX, GSXR, R1/6, etc... all sportbike forks are probably going to be a bit shorter, and the process to swap them is the same.

You will, of course, likely have to run the sportbike front wheel for simplicity sakes.

If you keep your eyes peeled on ebay you can find complete fork sets (or the parts to build a complete set) for pretty darn cheap.

• wireman
  • Visitor
03 Oct 2006 19:10 #81633 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Shortening Forks
ive ridden bikes with raked frontends before you can definately tell the differance.thats why im only going with about 2 degrees of rake to clear the turbo on my z1 prject.;)

More
03 Oct 2006 21:48 #81684 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic Shortening Forks
H1 500 forks 28in, 750B twin forks 29in, these are 36mm dia, I have a set of H1 FORKS ON MY 78 650sr brought the front end way down

More
11 Oct 2006 09:10 #83456 by mikekz900
Replied by mikekz900 on topic Shortening Forks
I was thinking about raking the front of mine a couple of degrees, but not really sure how much is necessary to run a sidewinder header. This would be the main reason for the rake, and the other is to make the bike look a little better. So can anyone tell me how much rake is required to run that awesome looking sidewinder/ starpipe. The one that has the S shaped header tubes!

Thanks, Mike