Front Wheel Removal Without Center Stand

More
10 Aug 2006 16:08 #68594 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Front Wheel Removal Without Center Stand
This might seem a little drastic but, I used a chain padded w/a towel to form a cradle under the frame(between frame and motor) near the fork. You may have to remove the tank. Then use a come-a-long hooked to a rafter in the garage to lift the bike by the chain. It lifted the front wheel and stablized it,on the rear tire. It just hung there.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
10 Aug 2006 16:10 #68595 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Front Wheel Removal Without Center Stand
got a cherry picker?;) or how about a tractor?:evil:

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/08/10 19:25
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
10 Aug 2006 16:57 #68604 by wireman
skippr76KZ wrote:

The wonderfulness of having a centerstand on your 900LTD - Priceless! :laugh:

<br><br>Post edited by: skippr76KZ, at: 2006/08/10 17:47

kicking,pushing/pulling /grinding to fit your new chrome header:S :P

More
10 Aug 2006 17:04 #68605 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic Front Wheel Removal Without Center Stand
Is that bolt hole for a dual disc set up? I can't tell from your pics if you have dual disc. If not what is it for?

Hey skippr76kz..my daughter starts MSU this year. Leaves in a week or so..I am SURE that I will have to be down there for SOME reason during her schooling.maybe one time I'm in town we could hook up? :)

Post edited by: pumps, at: 2006/08/10 20:06

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

More
10 Aug 2006 17:08 #68606 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic Front Wheel Removal Without Center Stand
It require 2 or 3 people but you can "pivot" the bike on the side stand and get front wheel off ground (I think). Does your pipe stop you from using a centerstand. My dragbike still has mounting points and I just slip a ratchet extension.

• wireman
  • Visitor
10 Aug 2006 17:53 #68615 by wireman
pumps wrote:

Is that bolt hole for a dual disc set up? I can't tell from your pics if you have dual disc. If not what is it for?

Hey skippr76kz..my daughter starts MSU this year. Leaves in a week or so..I am SURE that I will have to be down there for SOME reason during her schooling.maybe one time I'm in town we could hook up? :)<br><br>Post edited by: pumps, at: 2006/08/10 20:06

thats where the lower fender supports normally go for 650,but lower legs are reversed on ltd so they are on front instead of rear of legs.;)

More
10 Aug 2006 18:17 #68623 by Krammit2
Replied by Krammit2 on topic Front Wheel Removal Without Center Stand
there was apost on here a while ago that said just to get a centerstand and put it on when you need a centerstand so that is what i did. it works fine but it raises the rear tire not the front. I just got some big bolts and put them in the brackets take them out and off the centerstand comes. takes 20 seconds. I think if you check the mounting tabs are there.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
10 Aug 2006 18:18 #68624 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Front Wheel Removal Without Center Stand
ltdrider wrote:

Rub it in!
Keeping this bike stock can be a pain.
Pulling the pipes isn't so bad, but I'm fresh out of crush washers (I'm sure I'll need new ones when I re-install the pipes). What are the odds the Kaw dealer will have the crush gaskets when I drop off my wheel?

No reason to buy new washers for your exhaust. Just carefully pry the old ones out then heat them with a torch till they are cherry red and then quench them in cold water. The gaskets will pop back out and you can re-use them. I've been doing this for years. I can't remember the last time I had to buy exhaust gaskets.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
10 Aug 2006 20:07 #68645 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Front Wheel Removal Without Center Stand
Anealing works great for the copper gaskets. Anything else and you must buy new ones. As far as the front wheel goes I just pivot my 1000 on the kickstand. I got rid of the center stand as well. I capefully placed jack on the bottom, right front of the engine will make the bike pivot on the side stand and the front will raise. The bike will be being pushed backwards as well which will keep it from falling fowards off the stand.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
11 Aug 2006 04:39 #68688 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Front Wheel Removal Without Center Stand
I had my front wheel off my bike when Wired george was here. It was on the center stand and he looked at the bike to see why it wasn't nosed down. "What't That" He asked.
I had built me a Stand using a Horizonal piece of metal that lays on the floor with two upright pieces welded to it the width of frame. I have two half round pieces welded to the top of the upright pieces that are angled to fit the frame in front of the kick stand.
I have to list some parts on eBay today and i will take a picture.
Before i did like Shane and just used a floor jack.
Works good. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
11 Aug 2006 05:05 #68689 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Front Wheel Removal Without Center Stand
Last winter I did a bunch of work on my 750 down in my cellar, it doesn't have a centerstand. If I needed the front wheel off, I used one of those 1 inch nylon rachet straps to lift it from the floor joists. Worked slick.

More
11 Aug 2006 06:55 #68713 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Front Wheel Removal Without Center Stand
Thanks for all the input and suggestions.
I thought about slinging it from the garage rafters, but I don't know how much load that would be. Don't want to pull my garage ceiling down.:blink:
roy-b-boy-b:
I'd really like to see a picture of the stand you fabricated. Sounds like a usefull tool.
I use a small floor jack to raise the rear wheel all the time. I put a 2x4 block under the kickstand, and put the jack under the swing arm. No problem.
Skip:
I didn't get a chance to try the holes in the forks last night... I'll check it out today.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC