Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

630 Drive Chain Question 10 Oct 2019 07:43 #812163

• Rick H.
  • Rick H.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
I temporarily installed my new 630 drive chain using a "clip" type master link. My intention was to take the bike to a local motorcycle shop after I got it back together and have them replace the clip master link with a riveted master link that I got with the chain. I have since learned that the shop I was going to take it to for this work doesn't have the capability of riveting, or more appropriately, swaging a new solid head pin master link. I then checked with a couple of other shops and they told me the same thing. The biggest they can go is 530 chain. Looking at the chain it appears as though each pin head is swaged at four points. (See attached pic) Does anyone know of a tool that is available for doing this type of work and where I can find one. After buying the chain and doing some research I probably should have gone with a 530 chain and sprocket conversion, but I already have a hundred bucks into the new 630 chain. Thanks for any help as always.
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

630 Drive Chain Question 10 Oct 2019 08:32 #812170

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 655
Whats wrong with the clip master link? As long as they put on with the closed clip end in the direction of travel they are fine. 40 years in on various bikes with different size chains I've never had a clip type master link fail.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

630 Drive Chain Question 10 Oct 2019 08:36 #812171

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1459
There used to be a quad stake riveter available for doing solid end pin links but they are hard to find now as most manufacturers have gone over to the swage type that spread the end of the pin from the center that has a hollowed end. .
You can buy 630 rivet soft links that has the hollow end which any shop will be able to rivet .
Nothing wrong with the spring clip you have though as long as it's on facing the right way and it's a tight fit.
No reason for it to fail otherwise as it's under no load in use.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

630 Drive Chain Question 10 Oct 2019 16:40 #812209

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2673
Many "rivet links" have a hollow tip in the pin and a relatively cheap chain tool can be used to flare out the pin. If you have the old style pin where you need to peen over the actual pin that requires a heavy duty type chain tool, sometimes specific to the type of chain being used. One alternative is to remove the chain and peen over the link with a hammer and punch. You'll have to remove the swingarm to reinstall the chain, but that's not too bad and it will give you a chance to grease the bearings in the pivot!

630 Drive Chain Question 11 Oct 2019 00:35 #812229

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245
You can use a center punch if the pins have the hole in the center.

I prefer a clip so I can remove/clean my chains. I also fasten a spare masterlink somwhere on my bikes using a keyring.
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

630 Drive Chain Question 11 Oct 2019 10:08 #812256

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
Whale makes great 630 chain tools!!! I have used them for many years now. Check out their 630 chain rivetter tool. It makes a perfect quad stake rivet pattern on the pins. I tried to take a real clear photo of the end of the punch part to show the design of it that gives you that quad stake pattern. But I couldn't get a real clear photo of it!!!

These show up on Ebay every once and a while. I have even used it on 530 chains too!!! I like it better than my RK chain tool too.

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patton, Rick H.

630 Drive Chain Question 11 Oct 2019 20:47 #812285

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
Like already mentioned, just use the clip type. They work fine. The plates still need to be more or less pressed on before adding the clip. After pressing the plates on, they won't come loose even if the clip breaks off. I've ridden thousands of miles with the clip missing on long trips.
Going to a 530 chain is downgrade in my opinion and I would never do that to a KZ1000. Modern 530 is strong and long lasting as a 630? Sure they are, bullony. Cheaper to put on by manufacturers and work and last "good enough". Probably save the almighty 1/2lb of weight as well. Big deal, stay with the 630.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, Scirocco, Rick H.

630 Drive Chain Question 12 Oct 2019 04:53 #812294

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 595
+1 on the clip links. Installed correctly, I have full confidence in them.

In 50+ yrs. and over 175,000 miles personal experience on various bikes & chain sizes I've never had a failure of a clip-type master link. When I part-timed for some years at a local shop we never saw a clip link failure either.

Good Ridin'
slmjim
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

630 Drive Chain Question 12 Oct 2019 05:56 #812298

• Rick H.
  • Rick H.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
Thank you all for the replies. I knew I would get several opinions on this subject. I am one of those guys who likes to listen to everybody and try to make an educated decision on what I should, or shouldn't do. The master link clip seems to be pretty darn tight on my new 630 chain, so for now I will leave it alone, but I will keep an eye out for one of the Whale quad riveters and cutters just in case.

For Dr. Gamma: I assume from your pictures that you need two Whale tools, one to cut the chain and one to rivet? I did a quick check on Fleabay and found several new ones, but they were let's say "pricey" and only listed as working on 530 chain. I take it the #50 Whale tool will not work on 630 chain correct?

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Last edit: by Rick H..

630 Drive Chain Question 12 Oct 2019 10:05 #812305

• BCScott
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 97
I must be the only person to have a clip type master link fail! It happened on a '75 750 Honda and when the chain separated, it doubled over and punched a 50 cent piece sized hole in the cases ahead of the front sprocket. Of course it was evenly punched through both the upper and lower case. I swore I'd never use one again. I guess it could have been "installer error" (me), but iirc, I had a couple of thousand kms on the chain when it failed.
Back in the saddle and loving it! KZ1000A1

630 Drive Chain Question 12 Oct 2019 10:13 #812307

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
I had one on my last 630 chain. It wore out at the link even though it had lube and O rings. I bought a new chain and that's what I'm running now. I peened the link myself being careful it wasn't too tight. Two tires later (10,000 miles) no problems. The new style links have to be pressed on. I used a socket and small C clamp. In the 90's I had one roll off the back sprocket at low speed. I was lucky. Put on a new link and back on the road. It is truly the weak link. Peen on for me from now on.
Steve

630 Drive Chain Question 12 Oct 2019 10:30 #812309

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1459

BCScott wrote: I must be the only person to have a clip type master link fail! It happened on a '75 750 Honda and when the chain separated, it doubled over and punched a 50 cent piece sized hole in the cases ahead of the front sprocket. .

Exact thing happened to me on my 78 750 sohc F2 back in 1984.
Wasn't really the chains fault though as the bike had been tampered with by a local idiot who had removed the clip as an act of sabotage.
At the time i had to park the bike on the street as the property had no rear access or garage.
Due to lack of funds i simply patched the hole with wire mesh and chemical metal which i fashioned to blend in with the case ribbing and sprayed it black and you couldn't tell there was ever any damage unless you got up real close..
Ran the bike like that for a few more years with no problems until my brother borrowed the bike and crashed it :laugh:
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: BCScott, Rick H.