Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: KZ650 Tire and Tubes

KZ650 Tire and Tubes 20 Feb 2019 18:46 #798960

  • WarrensKZ
  • WarrensKZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 89
  • Thank you received: 6
My son has a KZ650 completely rebuilt with Lester rims.

The other day I noticed small cracks in his rear tire. The tires arent old - they are Avon Road Riders, but they look dry rotted.

He went ahead and bought tubeless Shinko 712 tires, 100/90/19 in the front and 110/90/18 in the rear.

We havent looked at the bike yet, but would those Lester rims need a tube or can we just put on the tubeless Shinko?

Thank you gentlemen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Tire and Tubes 20 Feb 2019 19:30 #798963

  • Blue58
  • Blue58's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Member
  • Member
  • Old, Bald and Fast
  • Posts: 20
  • Thank you received: 1
Its my understanding that 1st gen Lester's required tubes, later models are tubeless. The rims should be marked with an TL if there tubeless. If at all In doubt run tubes. You can run tubes in tubeless tires.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Blue58.

KZ650 Tire and Tubes 20 Feb 2019 19:40 #798964

  • WarrensKZ
  • WarrensKZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 89
  • Thank you received: 6

Blue58 wrote: Its my understanding that 1st gen Lester's required tubes, later models are tubeless. The rims should be marked with an TL if there tubeless. If at all In doubt run tubes. You can run tubes in tubeless tires.


Thank you for letting me know.

Im not sure what year the lesters are. I also searched the forum and discovered that a 120/90/18 in the rear is better than 1 110/90/18.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Tire and Tubes 20 Feb 2019 19:57 #798965

  • SWest
  • SWest's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 18446
  • Thank you received: 1676
I run the 130/90-18 Shinkos on mine. 110/90-19 front. Great tires. The tour master tires have a hard rubber stripe down the center for better milage. Just over 5000 miles on the rear even with my lead wrist. :woohoo:
Steve
www.chapmoto.com/shinko-230-tour-master-...re-parent-369-874160
www.chapmoto.com/shinko-230-tour-master-...re-parent-369-874170
Z1b1000 1975 Z1b
Opinions expressed by me do not reflect those of the the staff or members
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/598262-kz-...-will-it-live#672882
kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/597654-poser?start=240#704229

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Tire and Tubes 20 Feb 2019 20:08 #798966

  • WarrensKZ
  • WarrensKZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 89
  • Thank you received: 6

SWest wrote: I run the 130/90-18 Shinkos on mine. 110/90-19 front. Great tires. The tour master tires have a hard rubber stripe down the center for better milage. Just over 5000 miles on the rear even with my lead wrist. :woohoo:
Steve
www.chapmoto.com/shinko-230-tour-master-...re-parent-369-874160
www.chapmoto.com/shinko-230-tour-master-...re-parent-369-874170


I actually searched the forum and saw an old post by you where you said 130/90/18 rubbed on the chain guard. My son has no chain guard on the bike, but I also know the wider you go or bigger you go, the less responsive the bike can be.

My son is going to return the rear Shinko 712 110/90/18 for a 120/90/18 and this time he can order the inner tubes, which he forgot. We both though the Lesters would not need inner tubes.

In the meantime hes going to spray the tires on the bike with brake fluid so they soften a bit. I think they are UV damaged.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Tire and Tubes 20 Feb 2019 20:19 #798967

  • Nessism
  • Nessism's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Posts: 4177
  • Thank you received: 1044
Please don't spray the tires with brake fluid. That's just plain silly and may do damage.

Avon Roadriders are great tires but they are prone to superficial sidewall cracking. I've never heard of one outright failing but I don't blame you guys for wanting to replace them. I suggest contacting Avon and voicing your experiences. Avon has replaced a lot of those tires under warranty so it's worth a try.

As far as the width of the tire to use is concern there are two factors that come into play: the width of the rim and clearance on the bike. You can run a 120 on a 2.15" wheel but it's a little beyond the customary recommendation. I wouldn't go with a 130 on a rim that narrow even if there is clearance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Tire and Tubes 20 Feb 2019 20:36 #798968

  • 650ed
  • 650ed's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Member
  • Member
  • Posts: 14304
  • Thank you received: 2407
110/90-18 is too narrow for the rear of a KZ650.

For many years I ran 130/90-18 on the rear of mine, but eventually I learned it did not offer any advantage over the 120/90-18 tire. The 130 was difficult to mount and I could not use the stock chain guard without the tire rubbing. Also, squeezing that tire onto the stock rim deformed the shape of the tire so It did not have any larger contact path than the 120/90-18 tire. I switched to 120/90-18 and will never use the 130 size again. Also, I use tubes and rim locks. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Tire and Tubes 20 Feb 2019 20:42 #798969

  • SWest
  • SWest's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 18446
  • Thank you received: 1676
I ran the 120 last year and got the same if not less mileage out of it. Didn't notice any difference in handling. Gonna buy another one in a few days. B)
Steve
Z1b1000 1975 Z1b
Opinions expressed by me do not reflect those of the the staff or members
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/598262-kz-...-will-it-live#672882
kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/597654-poser?start=240#704229

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Tire and Tubes 21 Feb 2019 03:56 #798978

  • Blue58
  • Blue58's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Member
  • Member
  • Old, Bald and Fast
  • Posts: 20
  • Thank you received: 1
Kinda off topic a bit. Those Lester's are pretty rare items ,worth a bit and very cool in my humble opinion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Tire and Tubes 21 Feb 2019 07:59 #798988

  • WarrensKZ
  • WarrensKZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 89
  • Thank you received: 6

Blue58 wrote: Kinda off topic a bit. Those Lester's are pretty rare items ,worth a bit and very cool in my humble opinion.


Thanks. I think they are much better than spoke rims.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Tire and Tubes 22 Feb 2019 13:44 #799076

  • OKC_Kent
  • OKC_Kent's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Member
  • Member
  • Posts: 1700
  • Thank you received: 12

650ed wrote: 110/90-18 is too narrow for the rear of a KZ650.

For many years I ran 130/90-18 on the rear of mine, but eventually I learned it did not offer any advantage over the 120/90-18 tire. The 130 was difficult to mount and I could not use the stock chain guard without the tire rubbing. Also, squeezing that tire onto the stock rim deformed the shape of the tire so It did not have any larger contact path than the 120/90-18 tire. I switched to 120/90-18 and will never use the 130 size again. Also, I use tubes and rim locks. Ed



Ed, just wondering why do think 110's are too narrow? The stock rear tires were 4" wide. 110's are 110 mm wide, which is over 4.25". I have run 4" x 18 , 120 , and right now 110 . They all fit and handled fine to me.

Kent
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles
Gray-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Tire and Tubes 22 Feb 2019 14:40 #799078

  • 650ed
  • 650ed's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Member
  • Member
  • Posts: 14304
  • Thank you received: 2407
I guess a 110 will work, but given the 2.15 width of the stock KZ650 rear rim the 120 is also a correct fit (see image below). Either size may be appropriate, but I prefer the wider of the two. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by 650ed.

KZ650 Tire and Tubes 22 Feb 2019 16:52 #799085

  • WarrensKZ
  • WarrensKZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 89
  • Thank you received: 6

650ed wrote: I guess a 110 will work, but given the 2.15 width of the stock KZ650 rear rim the 120 is also a correct fit (see image below). Either size may be appropriate, but I prefer the wider of the two. Ed


Thank you Ed. This is helpful

The 120 / 90 / 18 Shinko 712 arrived today. Bike Bandit is allowing us to return the smaller tire. I road my son's KZ650 with the very slightly dry rotted Avon Road Rider and it was a very bumpy ride. At first I thought it was the shock, the rubber seems very hard.

The front Avon on the bike seems to be fine. We have a new front and back shinko for my son's bike, but we are thinking of just changing the rear. What is your take on this? Is it ok to mix and match?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Tire and Tubes 22 Feb 2019 16:57 #799086

  • SWest
  • SWest's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 18446
  • Thank you received: 1676
There shouldn't be a problem with the Shinko on the rear.
Steve
Z1b1000 1975 Z1b
Opinions expressed by me do not reflect those of the the staff or members
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/598262-kz-...-will-it-live#672882
kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/597654-poser?start=240#704229

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Tire and Tubes 22 Feb 2019 17:29 #799088

  • Blue58
  • Blue58's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Member
  • Member
  • Old, Bald and Fast
  • Posts: 20
  • Thank you received: 1
I have raced mixing brands. A lot of people will pupu it. Ideally you would want the same tire manufacturer front and rear because of the different sidewall and compound difference between brands and that effects how each tire behaves. But in most street applications it's not going to effect anything dramatically. Honestly you are feeling the suspension setup more then the tire at street speeds. If both tires are showing cracks I would replace both and start fresh. On the other side I have ridden street bikes with cracks in the tires and never had an issue. Then again being older and wiser I would not do it again. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Tire and Tubes 22 Feb 2019 18:17 #799091

  • 650ed
  • 650ed's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Member
  • Member
  • Posts: 14304
  • Thank you received: 2407

WarrensKZ wrote: .......... I road my son's KZ650 with the very slightly dry rotted Avon Road Rider and it was a very bumpy ride. At first I thought it was the shock, the rubber seems very hard. ............


If your son's KZ650 still has the original rear shocks they probably are contributing to the ride problems. The original shocks on my KZ650 were shot before I had put 10,000 miles on it ( about 2 years). I then installed S&W shocks and they were great. Since 2007 I've been using Hagon shocks (see image below). They look similar to stock but work FAR better; they still work and look like new after about 20,000 miles. I really like them a lot! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Tire and Tubes 22 Feb 2019 19:19 #799093

  • Nessism
  • Nessism's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Posts: 4177
  • Thank you received: 1044
Think his boy has RFI shocks which are known to have stiff springs.
Road riders have a supple casing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Nessism.

KZ650 Tire and Tubes 23 Feb 2019 07:50 #799097

  • WarrensKZ
  • WarrensKZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 89
  • Thank you received: 6

650ed wrote:

WarrensKZ wrote: .......... I road my son's KZ650 with the very slightly dry rotted Avon Road Rider and it was a very bumpy ride. At first I thought it was the shock, the rubber seems very hard. ............


If your son's KZ650 still has the original rear shocks they probably are contributing to the ride problems. The original shocks on my KZ650 were shot before I had put 10,000 miles on it ( about 2 years). I then installed S&W shocks and they were great. Since 2007 I've been using Hagon shocks (see image below). They look similar to stock but work FAR better; they still work and look like new after about 20,000 miles. I really like them a lot! Ed


We have bought another KZ an will be doing a mild cafe to it. I dont want to change my bike as its mostly original. so we now have another to play with. I will be purchasing these shocks as they match our color scheme idea
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
Powered by Kunena Forum