What to do about the gauges mounting bracket

More
22 Jun 2018 19:46 #785689 by Shdwdrgn
Finally finished painting the new tank and got it on the bike today. To celebrate I went out for a long ride. Burned through the tank of gas and pulled into a station to fill back up again -- and the whole cluster falls over! Well ain't that just dandy? Luckily one of the things I packed in my tool kit was a length of bailing wire, so I was able to keep everything in place for the trip back home. However...

When I got the bike, the original mounting bracket was broken in exactly the same place, so I picked up another one off ebay. This one was in perfect condition, no sign of any stress cracks even after I sandblasted it. I just rolled over 1000 miles and another bracket is already destroyed. Are they really that poorly made? I can't imagine anyone buying one of these new being very happy about having to replace a stupid bracket after their first month of ownership, so did Kawasaki ever address the problem and design a replacement part that actually worked? Or does anyone currently manufacture a bracket that won't fail?

Since the original was made of aluminum I'm guessing what's needed here is a good steel part. Worst case, I suppose I can get a chunk of 1/8" steel plate and cut out a whole new part, but I'm hoping other folks have found a solution to the problem or perhaps have a template for a better design that I could use.

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2018 06:47 - 24 Jun 2018 07:06 #785710 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic What to do about the gauges mounting bracket
My guess is that the aluminum is just old & has become embrittled, so buying a replacement part won't solve the problem as
any available would have been made back in the day. I think the process is called hydrogen embrittlement & occurs spontaneously
over time from exposure to water/moisture/humidity & other electro-chemical reactions. The muffler stays on some 80s 1000/1100s
also has the same problem of cracking.

Just throwing it out there. There are places that CNC laser cut custom steel parts, but it's probably expensive to get one part done. One place showed some examples & a dozen of a couple of different parts were about $15-20 per part, but if you only got one the pricing was over $100.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2018 07:06 by martin_csr.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Jun 2018 06:53 #785713 by SWest

More
23 Jun 2018 07:06 - 23 Jun 2018 07:13 #785714 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic What to do about the gauges mounting bracket
Yes, a photo may help. You may have already considered this stuff, but depending upon where it's broken, maybe you can get it welded or maybe add some angle iron. or buy a good replacement & beef it up where it tends to break. ???

Here's one that appears to have been welded or something. EB meter bracket Spectre 1100
Last edit: 23 Jun 2018 07:13 by martin_csr.

More
23 Jun 2018 08:27 #785719 by Shdwdrgn
Replied by Shdwdrgn on topic What to do about the gauges mounting bracket
For reference, the pictures from the ebay auction that Martin posted are showing the break in exactly the same place mine snapped. It's basically where the metal bends at 90 degrees for the mounting posts to the tree.

I hadn't thought about the metal becoming brittle over time, but the way it has snapped off in both cases does remind me of the kind of break you see in work-hardened material. I wonder what would happen if I picked up another one that appears in good condition, threw it in the forge to bring it up to temp (have to be careful. aluminum melts at 1200F), and then quenched it (aluminum becomes soft when quenched, unlike steel which hardens)? That could draw out any hardening that might have occurred from previous use. It's also possible that the machining process itself caused a hardening while bending that area and time has amplified the brittleness.

Re-welding the part is also an option, and I happen to have a MIG that can work with aluminum, but I have no experience welding aluminum and have hear it is rather difficult. I am by no means a great welder, so my typical method is to over-build an area, then go back and grind it down flat again. Well I've been wanting to learn how to work with aluminum anyway, might have to give it a try.

1981 KZ1000-JK1

More
23 Jun 2018 11:20 #785733 by Nightdriver
Replied by Nightdriver on topic What to do about the gauges mounting bracket
I've had 2 break the same way , the 2nd one I took to a welding shop that did aluminium and had them weld it up for me.

I can't remember what the cost was offhand but I didn't think it was than much.

'82 1100 Specter

More
23 Jun 2018 13:33 #785743 by davido
Aluminium is very easy to work with.You can shape it and finish it with regular woodworking tools. I made a clock bracket for my bike,different model to yours though. I first cut a template from cardboard and used that to make another template from MDF. I then roughly cut a plate of 8mm aluminium and then finished it by clamping it to the MDF and running the router around the edges. It worked out very well. I then anodised it but thats a different story.
Instead of trying to bend it you might consider cutting a plate and then using spacers to lift/lower it to the level you need. No metal fatigue worries and with a thick enough plate,youll be laughing.
Heres a link to the page where Im working on the bracket;
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313...ject-build?start=340
If you want to anodise then look further.
Good luck with yours

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

More
23 Jun 2018 14:25 #785752 by Shdwdrgn
Replied by Shdwdrgn on topic What to do about the gauges mounting bracket
When I made the steel bumper for my truck I used poster board to create a pattern from the stock plastic bumper, then transferred that to some 3/16" steel plate. I modified it by creating slopes at the sides to provide clearance to the tires and ended up with a great off-road bumper that looks stock (actual rounded corners instead of the geometric flat plates that most are made from) but has functional tow rings and a 2" hitch. So yeah, I'm no stranger to creating templates to work from.

Funny thing is it feels like this smaller part would be a lot more complex to try and create, even though it is obviously much less overall labor.

Yeah I'm thinking I'll grab a 1# spool of aluminum wire from Harbor Freight and try welding on some scrap pieces. If it works out, then it shouldn't be much trouble to add some extra fillets to these bends for added strength. And the bracket is fairly well hidden anyway, so it doesn't really have to be pretty.

1981 KZ1000-JK1

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Jun 2018 15:20 #785757 by SWest

More
24 Jun 2018 12:24 - 25 Jun 2018 07:32 #785811 by daveo
A simple and permanent solution.
:)

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Jun 2018 07:32 by daveo.

More
25 Oct 2021 13:37 #857041 by BigTex
Just to add to an older thread, my bracket broke like others have mentioned.  I took the high-tech newfangled route and made up a 3D printed replacement.  1/4" plus of ABS with very generous radii.  Should work, if not I'll redesign with some additional gussets or something.  One advantage to this method is customization - I added a shelf for my radar detector remote display.

• Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• willemZ900
    • Away
    • User
    • Z1B 4 ever
    More
    02 Nov 2021 08:21 #857283 by willemZ900
    Replied by willemZ900 on topic What to do about the gauges mounting bracket
    I had the same problem with two brackets, one new and then i made one out of steel, no problems anymore.