Can '79 650 ignition lock tumblers be removed?

• wrenchmonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2016 05:58 #728928 by wrenchmonkey
My '79 650-C3 didn't come with a key and had no seat lock. I made the mistake of trusting an eBay seller with: "77-79 KZ650 Seat Lock & Ignition Switch Matching Key". Perfect! I bought them on April 5th.

I installed the seat lock ...?... last weekend, I think and it works perfectly.
The key looked like every other key I have for the '82 550a and the '82 1000csr so I expected similar results for the ignition which I only got to this week as I began to restore my gauges.
The key wouldn't even fit half way into the ignition lock so I contacted the eBay seller (a motorcycle salvage in Wisconsin) and got absolutely no response after almost a whole week, I decided "F that seller. Don't ever buy another thing from them." and dismantled the ignition lock cylinder to see if I could just re-key "this" ignition myself.
Long story short: Success! As it turned out, I only had to flip a few of the tumblers around and the seat lock key works in the ignition!
BUT
Then I went to install the ignition key assembly into the gauge cluster and it's the wrong set. I didn't compare it to the original key lock cylinder that came with my bike until last night. The shape of it is completely different and cannot be secured to the ignition display panel between the gauges.
"F! That stupid eBay seller! ... F! That stupider eBay buyer!" :blush: :angry: :unsure:

I did some more thorough searching and discovered there are at least 3 different key lock cylinder / assembly shapes. Mine has a long narrow locking cylinder with a small built-in tab in the 12 o'clock position which fits into the plastic display panel and is secured to the panel with an escutcheon/nut AND I see the key was only single sided! No wonder assclown eBay seller's key didn't fit (until I filed it and the lock cylinder walls. It was the wrong key style! Not even made for "77-79").
I'm not sure if I'm more embarrassed for being this ignorant or if eBay seller is that dishonest?
Now I have a working seat lock with the absolutely wrong key-lock style and no ignition lock to fit my gauge display..
SO
I thought maybe I could try re-tumbling, the lock cylinder that came with my '650 and removed it from the harness in a box.
In short. I cannot save that lock cylinder. Someone, unlikely the PO, trashed the lock cylinder. I'd guess jammed a flat blade screwdriver into it and wreaked havoc upon all it's internals. So there's no way to save it by swapping the tumblers I now know work with the key that fits the seat lock. :dry:

Question is:
Can the ... older? ignition lock cylinder be dismantled to remove the tumber barrel (like I did with the newer style)?
If so; how do you extract the locking cylinder with it's tumblers?
With the later style, it was just a matter of slipping a single tumbler down that kinda' latches the inner part to the end of the outer part and then slipping the whole assembly out of the barrel. I had a skinny/tiny screwdriver down the key hole to stop the tumblers from springing all over the place...

I assume my '79 KZ650-C3 shares a common key/lock system to many models of the same era.
I assume the key profile for this era is single sided (not what I got from eBay seller. it was two sided).
I assumed any eBay seller listing themselves as an established motorcycle salvage yard in Winsconsin would know their shit.
i ASSuME'd too much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2016 06:08 #728931 by 650ed
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThe stock key for my KZ650-C1 is double sided. It looks like the one shown in the eBay ad below only it is a different number in the 800 range so the cuts are slightly different. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 May 2016 06:08 #728932 by SWest

• wrenchmonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2016 06:37 #728943 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Can '79 650 ignition lock tumblers be removed?
Hey Ed and Steve! Thanks gents. I appreciate the responses.
I dunno if it's too late to complain about the seller via eBay. I'm apparently not a very good online shopper to start with. It's not about the money 'cause I think I only paid $20 or something for both. It's more about the frustration and Zero response from seller that makes me angry.
I don't care if the key is double sided or not really. I can deal with either (I'm going to have two keys for this bike at minimum now and a 3rd if I decide to get the key for the steering lock made, now that i know it's key code).

My real question is can the earlier style lock like here: [ Notice the cylinder tab... this is required on my display mount ]
have the locking cylinder removed?
If this is so, then I could potentially buy an original (without key) and re-tumble it to work my seat lock. Otherwise.. multiple keys needed for one bike.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 May 2016 07:13 #728946 by SWest
Have you left feed back yet? I've been burned too. I don't until I know it's right. If not, I say so in the feed back. Lots of crooks.
I don't know if you can. On my ford you need the matching key and a paper clip. if not you're done. I've never tried it on the bike.
Steve