Tire fitment issue

More
27 Mar 2016 17:39 #717650 by carwash
Tire fitment issue was created by carwash
I'm getting new tires put on my '80 KZ550A with a 19" front wheel.
I got a 100/90-19 Avon tire for the front and the shop can't get it on, say the "bead won't pop", they've taken it to two different shops, one that specializes in vintage bikes and no one can get it to set.
The only other 19" tire in this particular model is a 110/80-19. Would this larger size be more likely to set properly?

1980 KZ550A
1980 CB750F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2016 18:08 - 27 Mar 2016 18:09 #717654 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Tire fitment issue
No; keep the correct size tire! I ALWAYS change my own tires and suggest you do the same. The wheel needs to be very clean on the inside and tire lube must be used. Did the shop install new tubes? That is a must even though it has nothing to do with seating the bead. If the shop can't do it, and if for whatever reason you don't want to do it, take it to a BETTER shop. Mounting the correct tire should not be any challenge at all for a decent shop. Do NOT try to substitute the wrong size tire to compensate for a shop's incompetence; that would be a huge mistake! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 18:09 by 650ed.

More
27 Mar 2016 18:35 #717657 by Olajoe
Replied by Olajoe on topic Tire fitment issue
I just did my front. Had similiar issues wouldn't seat, wouldn't center. 110/90, I thought it was me, I guess it was. I had to on/ off it a couple of times and use more lube. This is why I'm thinking about picking up my own tire changing rig. I'm fine with tire irons but sometimes ya know. The local shop guys got some pros but the time, cost, etc.., and the more time I put into my bike I find the less I am willing to let someone else put there hand on it. I cannot imagine going in for a tire change and just so happen there using my tire to train a new guy. If one shop had a problem I wouldn't be alarmed but you say multiple shops were stomped? That gets me thinking worse case something happened to the rim or it's nothing at all but a calling that your bike wants its tires changed by its owner, it's begging for you to do it. You should take a stab at it, you''ll be glad you did. Lots of lube, some baby powder, a little patience, what could go wrong.

More
27 Mar 2016 18:57 #717662 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Tire fitment issue
Could be a bad tire.

As Ed stated, stick with the 100 tire. 110 is too wide for the wheel.

Sometimes you have to really crank up the pressure to get the tire to seat. I use real tire lube, not soap, and have had to go up to above 60 psi before, although I don't like going that high.

More
27 Mar 2016 19:13 - 27 Mar 2016 19:14 #717668 by Olajoe
I don't do tires for hire, so of the ones I've installed I guess i've been lucky to never have one that wouldn't seat yet. But if that tire wasn't bad before the guys got their hands on it, think about it, a half dozen or so hands pulling and stretching on it is not going to suddenly make the tire any better.

Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 19:14 by Olajoe.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Mar 2016 19:14 #717669 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Tire fitment issue
When I was wrenching carbs and tire changes was my money. I'd get the tires from my supplier and add a 10% mark up. Some tires I had to go as high as 80 to get them to seat. One tire I forget the make had rim locks around the outside of the bead. Not only was it hard to mount, Mag wheel didn't help, It took 80 PSI for it to seat. Plenty of lube, a rubber mallet and it finally did,
Steve

More
27 Mar 2016 19:21 - 27 Mar 2016 19:23 #717670 by Olajoe
Over here near Denver it's all over the ball park for tire changing. $25-85+ per tire. I'm considering getting into it but how can you compete with a tire shop a licensed business when they're doing as low as $25 that's crazy. Steve i'm sure you're good and can peel tires like there's no tomorrow shoot get me going and it's coconuts. You gotta love it. But then you look on the internet at some places in the country and they look at that low amount and still think that's highway robbery. I know that $85 place been in business a long time, but when you're on the low end of the spectrum bottom feeding you know why even bother offering it as a business service and not just do it on the side? Just thinking out loud here.

swest wrote: When I was wrenching carbs and tire changes was my money. I'd get the tires from my supplier and add a 10% mark up. Some tires I had to go as high as 80 to get them to seat. One tire I forget the make had rim locks around the outside of the bead. Not only was it hard to mount, Mag wheel didn't help, It took 80 PSI for it to seat. Plenty of lube, a rubber mallet and it finally did,
Steve

Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 19:23 by Olajoe.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Mar 2016 19:31 #717672 by SWest
I hate changing tires. That's why I run them so long. :S The Shinko's go on and off well. Some don't. They're not all the same.
Crap. My neighbor paid $900 for a tire and mounting on his new HD. He said he picked up a nail and they wouldn't patch it.
It's got to be worth it Eah? :whistle:
teve

More
27 Mar 2016 19:45 #717676 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Tire fitment issue
$900! Ouch! I believe it though, some (not all) Harley guys think nothing of dropping a bundle for anything that goes on their bike. For $900 I can get 4 new Bridgestone tires put on my truck. :) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
27 Mar 2016 19:51 #717678 by Olajoe
Tha'ts what I installed. It handles well. Harley got the biker world where it counts.

swest wrote: I hate changing tires. That's why I run them so long. :S The Shinko's go on and off well. Some don't. They're not all the same.
Crap. My neighbor paid $900 for a tire and mounting on his new HD. He said he picked up a nail and they wouldn't patch it.
teve

More
27 Mar 2016 20:02 #717683 by carwash
Replied by carwash on topic Tire fitment issue
I'm unable to tackle the job myself right now. Apt. living in Brooklyn, etc...
I'll talk to the garage tomorrow, hopefully get a better understanding of what the problem is, and what has already been tried.
The wheels just got powder coated and this is the first set of tires on the new powder coated rims, but I don't think that should make a difference?

1980 KZ550A
1980 CB750F

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Mar 2016 20:04 #717684 by SWest

Olajoe wrote: Tha'ts what I installed. It handles well. Harley got the biker world where it counts.

swest wrote: I hate changing tires. That's why I run them so long. :S The Shinko's go on and off well. Some don't. They're not all the same.
teve

They can keep it. I'll just keep riding my Z1 while theirs are in the shop or covered in their garage. :woohoo:
Steve