OMG PO was an IDIOT! Front Brake Calipers.

More
09 Oct 2015 12:41 - 09 Oct 2015 12:42 #693963 by Sinaz20
Went to replace my brake pads-- had already just pulled the calipers because I was restoring the front end so I didn't notice this next little zinger.

I went to inspect the brake pads and they had a wear pattern as though only 50% of the brake pad was contacting the disc.

Now I know why. I figured out the PO swapped out the front end for what appear to be H1 LTD forks, but he didn't swap out the caliper assemblies.

Take a look!

Attachment 20151009_143728-2.jpg not found

Does anyone know what range of models' parts I can look for to get proper brakes? I don't know for certain which model the forks came off, but maybe someone out there knows for certain how universal the mountings are to that era of KZs? I got my eye on some ebay auctions, but I'm not confident enough to make a purchase yet.

That's S I N A Z. He fights for the Users.
1981 kz750 E
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Oct 2015 12:42 by Sinaz20.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2015 12:49 #693964 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic OMG PO was an IDIOT! Front Brake Calipers.
It also looks as if the tire was not properly mounted. There's no reason it should take so much lead to balance that front wheel. The tire should have been rotated to different positions until a minimal amount of weight was needed. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
09 Oct 2015 12:54 #693965 by Sinaz20
Replied by Sinaz20 on topic OMG PO was an IDIOT! Front Brake Calipers.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'll bring it to a shop and maybe get them to rebalance and also resurface the discs.

Any advice on replacement calipers? It appears the three years of the H LTD all use the same brake assemblies?

1981 kz750 E

More
09 Oct 2015 12:58 #693966 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic OMG PO was an IDIOT! Front Brake Calipers.

650ed wrote: It also looks as if the tire was not properly mounted. There's no reason it should take so much lead to balance that front wheel. The tire should have been rotated to different positions until a minimal amount of weight was needed. Ed

I've had tires that took that much weight to balance...

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

More
09 Oct 2015 13:30 #693968 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic OMG PO was an IDIOT! Front Brake Calipers.
Dealers can (and will) send a tire back to the manufacturer and get a replacement if a new tire takes more than a reasonable amount of weight to balance. Just something to keep in mind for future reference. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 Oct 2015 03:43 #694019 by twerth
Replied by twerth on topic OMG PO was an IDIOT! Front Brake Calipers.

650ed wrote: It also looks as if the tire was not properly mounted. There's no reason it should take so much lead to balance that front wheel. The tire should have been rotated to different positions until a minimal amount of weight was needed. Ed

That much weight surprises me on a Pirelli, but I've had Shinkos that took more. No amount of rotating the tire would help. I just wanted the weight in a different spot. Not all Shinkos are like that, but I've had a couple.

1981 Kawasaki KZ650
2006 Ducati ST3s
1979 Honda GL1000 Goldwing

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Oct 2015 04:11 #694027 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic OMG PO was an IDIOT! Front Brake Calipers.
Looks like you need a larger rotor. Pics? There's a dot on the tire that shows the lightest point of the tire. It's supposed to be aligned with the valve stem. If not, it could take that much weight to compensate.
Steve

More
10 Oct 2015 09:09 #694054 by Sinaz20
Replied by Sinaz20 on topic OMG PO was an IDIOT! Front Brake Calipers.

swest wrote: Looks like you need a larger rotor. Pics? There's a dot on the tire that shows the lightest point of the tire. It's supposed to be aligned with the valve stem. If not, it could take that much weight to compensate.
Steve

No, it's not the rotor size-- it's because on the stock forks the wheel is further back thanks to the bottom mounted axle. If the rotor were bigger then it wouldn't fit under the top part of the caliper.

The discs are the same, and I think even the piston assembly is the same... it's the geometry of the bracket that is different to account for the different axle positions.

I guess I'll just buy the assemblies that I think will fit and hope for the best. Wish me luck.

1981 kz750 E

More
11 Oct 2015 04:41 #694126 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic OMG PO was an IDIOT! Front Brake Calipers.
Before you go and spend your money, spend a minute of time and try swapping the caliper brackets side to side and see where that gets you. If it's still messed up, then do what you gotta do.

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)

More
11 Oct 2015 09:48 - 11 Oct 2015 10:41 #694144 by JR

havakaw wrote: Before you go and spend your money, spend a minute of time and try swapping the caliper brackets side to side and see where that gets you. If it's still messed up, then do what you gotta do.

+1
There is something about the fit of the calipers in your photo that just does not look right

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 11 Oct 2015 10:41 by JR.

More
12 Oct 2015 01:37 #694218 by chirpy999
Replied by chirpy999 on topic OMG PO was an IDIOT! Front Brake Calipers.
Hi I think its the hangers that are incorrect. The calipers are used on many models, but the hangers are different depending on the fork whether it is a leading axle or not.

More
12 Oct 2015 04:38 #694229 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic OMG PO was an IDIOT! Front Brake Calipers.
Check the bottom of the warning sticker on the forks. Some have a print date. That would at least narrow down the year of the forks.