OMG PO was an IDIOT! Front Brake Calipers.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
13 Oct 2015 06:25 #694404 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic OMG PO was an IDIOT! Front Brake Calipers.
Your problem is that the leading axle forks have different caliper mounts than the conventional centreline axles as on most kz.

The early kz/GPz550 and some 1000 models have leading axles.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2015 13:40 - 13 Oct 2015 13:41 #694466 by Sinaz20
Replied by Sinaz20 on topic OMG PO was an IDIOT! Front Brake Calipers.

havakaw wrote: Before you go and spend your money, spend a minute of time and try swapping the caliper brackets side to side and see where that gets you. If it's still messed up, then do what you gotta do.

That was the first thing I tried.

chirpy999 wrote: Hi I think its the hangers that are incorrect. The calipers are used on many models, but the hangers are different depending on the fork whether it is a leading axle or not.

That's what I mean. The calipers are built into the "hanger" as you call it. This one is the wrong shape for the axle.

MDZ1rider wrote: Check the bottom of the warning sticker on the forks. Some have a print date. That would at least narrow down the year of the forks.

Thanks. I checked, and there is no date.

I spent a lot of time comparing photos of the caliper mounts being sold for all the various LTD models and dates. I am reasonably certain that the part was pretty universal for a specific set of bikes from that era. At anyrate, I haggled a guy down to $40 with free shipping for a complete set of front brakes from that type of lower fork. If they don't fit, I will not be out all that much money.

That's S I N A Z. He fights for the Users.
1981 kz750 E
Last edit: 13 Oct 2015 13:41 by Sinaz20.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.