MC Enterprises case guards

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Jun 2015 19:14 #677504 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic MC Enterprises case guards
I bought some pegs last year. I don't use them much. Only when I was crossing the Mojave last summer. I'd stretch my legs but felt stupid riding that way. They stick out too much so I keep them folded most of the time.
Steve

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2015 23:29 #677533 by RFE81LTD1K
Replied by RFE81LTD1K on topic MC Enterprises case guards
Agreed, I don't like the way highway pegs stick out so far. Like you I'd keep them folded in most of the time. Especially on a straight bar. But somehow on a bar, even folded in they still look they're sticking way out there. Maybe it's because from the word go they just look out of place. Hence the reason if I end up with one I'm likely to paint it black.
Using that pc of pipe to get a rough idea on the width I'd need, I came up with a total length of about 28 inches. (including the pegs) That's equates to each side sticking out 8 inches from the frame. Half of that being the foot pegs in which would be folded in most of the time. I guess four inches sticking out wouldn't be toooo bad.

Robert

81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
21 Jun 2015 06:26 #677560 by SWest
There are some that bolted to the engine mounts here. They were down low. On a KZ 900 a month ago. Looked good too. I have some 10mm aluminum and have been thinking of making some of my own.
Steve

More
21 Jun 2015 11:50 - 21 Jun 2015 12:13 #677609 by RFE81LTD1K
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

swest wrote: There are some that bolted to the engine mounts here. They were down low. On a KZ 900 a month ago. Looked good too. I have some 10mm aluminum and have been thinking of making some of my own.
Steve

I found some like that.
I sent them a message asking what all lengths they come in and what size the threaded ends are. Also going to call Drag Specialties directly tomorrow. www.dragspecialties.com/products/?productId=281030
They're pretty damn proud of um. Times like these I wish I was still doing machine work. Wouldn't take any time to make some. Probably still could using hand tools. It would just take a lot longer to do.

Your 10mm aluminum might be a little too light. Depending how far they would stick out I'd be afraid they'd bend too easily.

Robert

81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2015 12:13 by RFE81LTD1K.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
21 Jun 2015 14:28 #677615 by SWest
The aluminum would be for a plate to attach to. I'd then bolt onto it with something like what you're looking at.
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
  • SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
21 Jun 2015 14:40 #677619 by SWest

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
21 Jun 2015 16:29 - 21 Jun 2015 17:17 #677634 by RFE81LTD1K

swest wrote: I'm doing it. :woohoo:
Steve

Good eye. I like those a lot. Nice and clean looking. But it looks like he drilled two holes in the left mount. I'm sure the holes wouldn't hurt the mount but I wouldn't really want to go drilling holes in my frame. But as nice as that looks it may be worth it.
I got ya on the aluminum plate. I thought you were talking about aluminum rod. I have some 1/4" alum plate I could use the same way your talking. It should be strong enough.

Beep, Beep ... back tha truck up. I just went out and looked at mine. I think it could be done without having to make flanges like that. The right side bracket already has a big hole going through it that could be used. All I would need there is a thick washer on each side. The left side would only need one hole drilled. The peg extension would bolt directly to it. They would be an inch or so higher than those but would probably be fine.
These pegs won't see much weight. What, maybe 20lbs resting on it. I doubt even that much. Why make something harder than it needs to be. I'm thinking simplify. Not rigged. Simplified. Big difference. Lol.

81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2015 17:17 by RFE81LTD1K.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
21 Jun 2015 17:36 #677641 by SWest
Think about it this way, you're riding along and a piece of tire from a big rig is laying on the road and you see it at the last moment, you tense for impact, :pinch: BUMP :ohmy: and one of them breaks. Too horrible to go on. I overbuild. B)
Steve

More
21 Jun 2015 22:35 - 22 Jun 2015 00:20 #677677 by RFE81LTD1K

swest wrote: Think about it this way, you're riding along and a piece of tire from a big rig is laying on the road and you see it at the last moment, you tense for impact, :pinch: BUMP :ohmy: and one of them breaks. Too horrible to go on. I overbuild. B)
Steve

Lol. I hear where your coming from. And agree. I'm guilty of overbuilding everything. Around here that's standard operating procedure. Lol.
One of my sons has a friend who works in a fab shop. They do all kinds of fabrication and do every kind of welding known to man. His friend is pretty darn good too. I'm sure if I gave him a drawing he could fab anything I wanted. Come to think about it, he could modify those case guards for me. When you said something before about modifying them, I didn't think about him having everything at his disposal to do it. Gonna have to get that boy over here. He can either mod the guards or fab me up some pegs. Now having seen those pegs, I prefer them over the guards. Did I mention he'd fab the pegs for free? Yep ... Pegs it is. Lol.

Edit ... The more I look at those the more I'm convinced the extensions are threaded in the ends and held to the brackets by a single bolt. Yes, the brackets are held on by two bolts but I don't believe the pegs themselves are.
If I fab some I will make some brackets, but only to drop the pegs down a little. I'll utilize the two bolts going through the frame on the right side and drill two holes in the mount on the left. The peg extension could be welded or bolted to said brackets.
My son suggested making the pegs removable by making little receivers for them to slip into. Like the receiver on your truck hitch but smaller. Instead of bolting the pegs to the bracket, weld a 2 - 2 1/2 inch long pc of square tubing to it to serve as the peg receiver. Slip the pegs in and secure them with either a pin or bolt. It would be plenty strong. More so than a single bolt in the end. Naturally when removed all you'd have is the little receivers there.
Considering I didn't want bars or pegs in the first place, (but need them due to my knee) I like the idea of being able to simply take them off at will.

Robert

81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2015 00:20 by RFE81LTD1K.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
22 Jun 2015 05:13 #677690 by SWest