MC Enterprises case guards

More
19 Jun 2015 19:20 - 19 Jun 2015 19:28 #677345 by RFE81LTD1K
MC Enterprises case guards was created by RFE81LTD1K
Not happy with MC Enterprises. I wanted a set of case guards for my bike so I looked around and found the ones MC offers. So I called them to verify fitment. They assured me their model #2002 would fit my bike. Great!!! I ordered some the same day. Well they came today and I was ready to install them. Too bad THEY DON'T F'n FIT!!!
The mounting holes in the guards that are supposed to bolt to the frame under the case don't even come close to lining up. On the right side they're at least an inch off. The left about half that. And that's not all. There's a couple of other alignment issues as well but the lower frame mounts are the worst. These are obviously for a different frame. And my guess is they don't make the ones I need. They're closed on Friday so I'll have to wait till Mon to call and raise he11 with um.
Of course now I have to return the ones I got. And you know how on line sellers are. I may have to pay the return shipping. :angry:

81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.
Last edit: 19 Jun 2015 19:28 by RFE81LTD1K.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Jun 2015 19:41 #677348 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic MC Enterprises case guards
Did you buy direct? Ask them for a shipping label, print it and send them back with a tracking #. I got a wrong piston from Z1E. They had me send it direct to Wiseco to save time. It still cost me two weeks.
Steve

More
19 Jun 2015 20:00 - 19 Jun 2015 20:53 #677352 by RFE81LTD1K
Replied by RFE81LTD1K on topic MC Enterprises case guards

swest wrote: Did you buy direct? Ask them for a shipping label, print it and send them back with a tracking #. I got a wrong piston from Z1E. They had me send it direct to Wiseco to save time. It still cost me two weeks.
Steve

No. I didn't buy direct. Found one about $50 bucks cheaper on ebay.

Going back to model identification ... I'm either totally confused on what I actually have or MC is full of ___.
I know I have a 1981 Kawasaki. I know it's an LTD. I know it has the 998 engine.
So ...
Year ... 1981
Model ... KZ1000
Sub model ... B. (and from I was told signifies an LTD model)
Engine designation ... K. (and since it was the first year of the 998 "J" engine it's actually a "K1") Right?
So all together it's a ... 1981 KZ1000B K1 LTD
Right?

If so, there's no way that guard was going to fit my year and model bike. They claim it's fitment goes back to 77 and we know I have a different frame than the earlier KZ's. Surly they've come across this fitment issue before today.

Here's an example of those guards and what all they're supposed to fit. I could pull up a half a dozen suppliers and they all same the same thing. www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900018646

81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.
Last edit: 19 Jun 2015 20:53 by RFE81LTD1K.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Jun 2015 21:25 #677365 by SWest
File a not as described case and get your money back.
Steve

More
19 Jun 2015 22:01 #677371 by RFE81LTD1K
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

swest wrote: File a not as described case and get your money back.
Steve

I'll do that if they don't refund my money and pay the return shipping. The whole thing pi$$e$ me off. There's no excuse for MC not knowing what makes/models their products do or don't fit.

I've been looking and can't find anybody else who offers guards for our bikes. Any ideas? Or I'm I going to have to find or fab one of those single cross bar jobbers?
Yeah, those are reeeeal sexy. Lol.

81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.

More
20 Jun 2015 03:42 #677382 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic MC Enterprises case guards
I'm the one who suggested calling MC Enterprises --- sorry it didn't work out. Anyone working there nowadays probably doesn't know much of anything about old motorcycles. I'd guess all they can do is go by their fitment charts, so if they got it wrong back in the day, then the incorrect data is still there. just a guess. ???

Not that you can depend upon their x-ref, but did you also ask about the 59-6245 set?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Jun 2015 05:44 #677387 by SWest

RFE81LTD1K wrote:

Steve

I'll do that if they don't refund my money and pay the return shipping. The whole thing pi$$e$ me off. There's no excuse for MC not knowing what makes/models their products do or don't fit.

I've been looking and can't find anybody else who offers guards for our bikes. Any ideas? Or I'm I going to have to find or fab one of those single cross bar jobbers?

I had one of those on my bike in the wreck. No protection, feet too high in the air, junk. If what you got is close and only the bottom needs to be modified, you can weld a longer tab and paint it or have it rechromed. I wanted a set like that but they were too expensive.
Bought the one I have for $20. Not perfect but good enough for now.
Steve

More
20 Jun 2015 10:58 #677430 by RFE81LTD1K

martin_csr wrote: I'm the one who suggested calling MC Enterprises --- sorry it didn't work out. Anyone working there nowadays probably doesn't know much of anything about old motorcycles. I'd guess all they can do is go by their fitment charts, so if they got it wrong back in the day, then the incorrect data is still there. just a guess. ???

Not that you can depend upon their x-ref, but did you also ask about the 59-6245 set?

Oh yeah, well then I'll be waiting for you in the parking lot. :angry: Naaa, No worries. I'm gettin too old for that shi7. But my sons aren't. :evil: Lol. Just messin with ya.
I appreciated your suggestion enough so to have done it. (for all the good it did) And your right about their sales dept not knowing old or for that matter any other motorcycles. All they know is what their computer screen tell them.
I'm pretty sure the 2002 and the 59-6245 are the same guards. Both numbers are in the description heading. (MC Enterprises Super Case Guard 2002 for Kawasaki 59-6245 MC-2002 0800-029)

Thanks for trying to help.
Robert

81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.

More
20 Jun 2015 11:21 - 20 Jun 2015 12:15 #677439 by RFE81LTD1K

swest wrote:

RFE81LTD1K wrote:

Steve

I had one of those on my bike in the wreck. No protection, feet too high in the air, junk. If what you got is close and only the bottom needs to be modified, you can weld a longer tab and paint it or have it rechromed. I wanted a set like that but they were too expensive.
Bought the one I have for $20. Not perfect but good enough for now.
Steve

I probably should be but I'm too concerned about protection. I just wanted something to mount some highway pegs to. I considered modifying these but for whatever reason I still have hopes of finding some that actually fit. I've got 30 days to return them, Meanwhile I'll be looking for some that fit.
Been looking at several different sets of pegs that clamp directly to the down tubes. Most are too short but there's a few that are longer. I haven't taken measurements to see how long they'd need to be. I will before next week and then I'll call the manufacturers for lengths.
Probably not these but something like them. www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-7559-Cruise-Peg/...|729&Model=KZ1000B/K

Robert

Never mind. Those clamp on won't work. There's not enough room around the engine mounts to be able to put then in the same location on both sides. That and they'd have to be about 8 - 9 inches long to get your leg away from the engine. A straight cross bar comes closer to working. The only place I can see one would fit would put it a little high but better than nothing.
By now your probably wondering why I want front pegs so much. I have a bad knee and can't keep it bent like it is on the stock pegs for too long. I need to be able to stretch it out. So if I want to ride for any length of time, I'm going to have to get some forward pegs mounted. But damn those cross bars are ugly. Maybe if I painted it black it wouldn't stand out so bad. Lol.

81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2015 12:15 by RFE81LTD1K.

More
20 Jun 2015 13:00 #677466 by RFE81LTD1K
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationAnd here we go again ...
Claim those came off of an 83 1000. I thought the 83 was an 1100. Also claims they should fit 76-83. We already know that's wrong. We also know the 83 has a different frame than mine. But how different? Anybody know if the lower part of the frame is the same as the 81-82 year models?

81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Jun 2015 13:36 - 20 Jun 2015 13:36 #677470 by SWest
UG. :sick: The twisted ones should work for you. They're cheap and you can lower them. I had mine above the pipes. I think you can go just under them.
Steve
Last edit: 20 Jun 2015 13:36 by SWest.

More
20 Jun 2015 16:22 #677499 by RFE81LTD1K

swest wrote: UG. :sick: The twisted ones should work for you. They're cheap and you can lower them. I had mine above the pipes. I think you can go just under them.
Steve

Yes, they would fit under the pipes. Just to get an idea of where the pegs would be, I stuck a pc of 3/4" pipe between the engine and the frame just above the engine mounts. As before they would be kinda high but serve their purpose. There is another opening below the mounts that might work but I don't think I have a pc of 1/2" square tubing to try it. (3/4 pipe won't fit) I think in that location the pegs would be both too low and behind the engine cases. ???

81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.