1975 z1 900 front end upgrade

More
31 Aug 2013 16:15 #604160 by mardimus
1975 z1 900 front end upgrade was created by mardimus
I am in the process of restoring a z1 900 (75) and would like to upgrade the front brake system (its a single caliper/disc) and would also like to upgrade the triple tree, handlebars, go to a single gauge rather than the double, new front trun signals and front suspension. Anyone have any thoughts or can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2013 16:41 - 31 Aug 2013 16:42 #604164 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 1975 z1 900 front end upgrade
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWow, you're modifying a Z1? They and their parts are becoming quite valuable, so do yourself a favor and don't make any changes that cannot be reversed when you decide to sell, and be sure to protect those front forks and other stock original Z1 components. Here are a couple examples of what I mean. Ed

One used fork leg in crappy condition compared to yours (missing axle clamp & reflector + spring has been cut) = $170

One used fork reflector = $31.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 31 Aug 2013 16:42 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: peter1958, mardimus

More
31 Aug 2013 17:42 #604175 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic 1975 z1 900 front end upgrade
As 650 Ed said those parts are becoming very hard to find. Check your vin numbers...if the frame and motor are within 200 numbers you have a bike worth some bucks. In that case you may want to rethink everything, if not matching #'s maybe sell the front end and get more modern parts. One other option is to upgrade just the internal springs, I think Progressive does those. On the braking question: I don't know if the 75's had the caliper bosses on the right fork but if they do then you can try to source a hard to come by right side caliper and disc combo that was an option back in the day on later bikes as well as upgrading to a larger (5/8) brake master cylinder.

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mardimus

More
01 Sep 2013 03:26 #604253 by mardimus
Replied by mardimus on topic 1975 z1 900 front end upgrade
After looking at the vins, this is what I have:

Chassis:Z1F-67499
Engine:Z1E-067679

Please let me know any info you can on my make and model, year. When I looked up the numbers, I calculated it as a 1975 Z1 900 B. I could be wrong. And when you ask if the vins are within 200 of each other, it might be? If I tke away the zero at the beginning of the engine code.

More
01 Sep 2013 08:22 #604266 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1975 z1 900 front end upgrade

mardimus wrote: ... Please let me know any info you can on my make and model, year....

What type of info? :unsure:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Sep 2013 16:44 #604325 by mardimus
"Check your vin numbers...if the frame and motor are within 200 numbers you have a bike worth some bucks"

are they within 200 and is it a hard to find combo? Thanks.

:)

Patton wrote:

mardimus wrote: ... Please let me know any info you can on my make and model, year....

What type of info? :unsure:

Good Fortune! :)

More
01 Sep 2013 18:03 #604334 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic 1975 z1 900 front end upgrade
Yes the frame and engine seem to be within the range to be considered original to each other which means that you have a somewhat rare and desirable bike.

Only problems with them seem to be people now chopping/bobbing them and exporting to other countries. Keep it original and keep it american IMHO

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

More
01 Sep 2013 18:39 #604337 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic 1975 z1 900 front end upgrade
Yes the #s match to where it's safe to say motor and frame were made as a unit....this is an increasingly hard to come by bike and to many one of the coolest years. Please consider carefully what you are going to do with it. There are many things you can do for it to improve it's readability for today's world without sacrificing it's original looks. Replacing the old ball bearing steering setup with modern races, upgrading front shock springs and the rears can be done too, replacing rear swingarm bearings with needle rollers, good modern rubber, and if you find the double disc braking setup it's a good thing to do too.

Let us know what you decide....and more pictures please. :)

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
01 Sep 2013 20:08 #604342 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic 1975 z1 900 front end upgrade

bluezbike wrote: Yes the #s match to where it's safe to say motor and frame were made as a unit....this is an increasingly hard to come by bike and to many one of the coolest years. Please consider carefully what you are going to do with it. There are many things you can do for it to improve it's readability for today's world without sacrificing it's original looks. Replacing the old ball bearing steering setup with modern races, upgrading front shock springs and the rears can be done too, replacing rear swingarm bearings with needle rollers, good modern rubber, and if you find the double disc braking setup it's a good thing to do too.

Let us know what you decide....and more pictures please. :)

IMHO
bluesbike is NOT steering you wrong.
And this is from a guy who is sitting 25 feet away from my 74 Z1a that has everything on his list except the duel discs done to it already.

It looks great,
It sounds great with a pipe on it,
Light to light we don't have any problems with anything I care to take on (I do pick my racing carefully )
And it's still a 903 with the stock pistons and cams in him.

Oh, and by the way, It's like money in the bank.

Mike

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
02 Sep 2013 01:02 #604377 by mardimus
This is great news and I appreciate all the help and feedback. I want to keep it as original as possible but there is much work to be done. Right now I have the engine out and on a stand. It was rebuilt last year with valve seating done, new gaskets and carb clean and tune. With the engine out, I have all the engine covers in getting the chrome stripped off. All the covers had the chrome peeling and pitting. I cleaned and soda blasted the engine and it is clean. Actually looks cool with the soda blast clean to it. But I wanted to paint the engine flat black, leaving the heat fin edges with the soda blast look. But now you all got me thinking original. Tough decisions. I have the frame dismantled and already started sandblasting all the rust and old black paint off of it, as well as the engine mounting pieces, battery box, seat, triple tree and the gauges housing, etc. The stock gauges look good but I cannot figure out how to take the chrome bezel housing off to clean it and fix a small dent in it. Maybe have to replace it. The sprockets and chains are all new so those will stay, but I plan to soda blast the swing arm and replace the mounts etc. When I repaint or powder coat the frame, I was thinking of doing it a flat dark gray to match/offset the engine. The tank will be a flat black with some gray accents to it, flat in color as well. I will replace the steering bearings and will inspect wheel bearings etc.

I do have the stock one piece brakes but will look for the dual disc brake setup. please feel free to point me in the right direction here. I am going to keep the stock gauges as I am now really thinking of trying to keep it stock and just update some visual areas of the bike (tank, side covers, frame, swing arm, engine). Probably update the suspension too, now that I know it is possible to add some progressive springs.

Has anyone done an led bulb update to the gauges? just wondering. I also have to replace the gauge light housing, the plastic piece with the neutral, oil, and blinker lights in it. The one I have is pretty bad. The actual gauge housing (metal) is good. Just needs to be blasted and repainted. I have an air pod setup for the carbs, but read that its better to have the stock airbox. Any thoughts on this? The exhaust is in good shape, but I dont think its the original. It was painted flat black and is a 4 into 1 setup. Sounds good. Overall the bike runs well, needs a new tach cable.

So I guess these are my questions?

Do I paint the engine?
Where can i get side cover and tank emblems?
Any thoughts on a brake setup?
Do I keep the original head light?
Any do it yourselves on rebuilding the electrical setup, mine is a mess?
Dual brake setup, how to and where to find a writeup?
any other little mods anyone can think of?

Ill take some pics tomorrow when its light out and update with all the pieces. It will be great to get some owner/modder/ know how to put me in the right direction. I love rebuilding bikes and glad I have a gem to work with. Cheers for all the readers and repliers. Thanks guys!

More
02 Sep 2013 01:15 #604379 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 1975 z1 900 front end upgrade
I'd go for the stock look (see pi below), all the stuff needed can be bought for the Z1. These guys have reproduction badges:

www.diablocycle.com/-Kawasaki-Badges/?page=3

Attachment 00001_2013-09-02.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
02 Sep 2013 02:54 #604397 by mardimus
Thanks for the website. I have searched it for over an hour and made a "to buy list," thanks. And Great looking bike, i love the blue color scheme. My exhaust is 4 into 1. What is the stock exhaust setup for my bike?

650ed wrote: I'd go for the stock look (see pi below), all the stuff needed can be bought for the Z1. These guys have reproduction badges:

www.diablocycle.com/-Kawasaki-Badges/?page=3

Attachment 00001_2013-09-02.jpg not found