78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2013 00:35 #601510 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Clicking while rolling
Actually, just test the chain.
Grasp the chain at the back of the rear sprocket and try to lift the chain off the sprocket by pulling straight back. If you cab see more than a third of the tooth, the chain is ready to be replaced. Another way is to measure. Most chains have a wear spec; if the chain exceeds the specified distance between ten pins, it is worn out.

The condition of the sprocket can also be an indicator. Visibly worn sprocket teeth can signal a worn-out chain. They stop having their pristine, symetric shape and start getting pointed, slanted, etc.
Replace the set with 530 if it has 630 right now.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
15 Aug 2013 00:43 #601513 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic Clicking while rolling
you can run a new chain on old sprockets
IF THE SPROCKETS ARENT FUCKED
so you can just go get a 630 chain and
swap it out if need be
however if the sprockets are fucked as well(ive got a feeling they are)
theyll need to be replaced as well
the most dangerous thing you can do right now is ride without inspection
these old kawis will always make fast
but you gotta have control
at all times
they go really fast
dont be a st%#@$d C%&^@#t

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

More
15 Aug 2013 01:34 #601516 by koolaid_kid
I am using a brand new o-ring chain on the sprockets that were already on my GPz. And they are 630. However, I know exactly how to read a sprocket. The shape of the teeth. The appearance of the grooves in the sprocket. The sides of the sprocket. The machine markings on the sprocket. My sprockets were pristine, so I installed a new chain on old sprockets.
On a bike that has the death rattle in the chain, I strongly doubt the sprockets are acceptable, but they must be examined minutely.
Reading the sprockets is critical. Installing a new chain on worn sprockets is a death sentence for the new chain. Good money after bad, I believe is the axiom.
What I said previously, and I maintain, is that if you need to replace the set, go 530. It is a no-brainer.

1983 GPz 750

More
15 Aug 2013 01:53 #601517 by jeffasaki
what is the conversiom
from 630 to 530? offset?
lets hear it!

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

More
15 Aug 2013 02:36 #601518 by koolaid_kid
Nothing to hear, really. Call Jeff at Z1Enterprises (well, he has someone else at the front desk now), tell him what you want to do. They calculate the new numbers, depending on the ratio you want. Teeth count will change for both sprockets, link count will increase, but they should be able to get you exactly where you want to go.
They do the conversion all the time over on the off-brand site.
There is an offset washer that is included in the kit. This is not common knowledge?

Not trying to be a smart guy, this is just so common at GSR that I assumed KZR was aware as well.
Remember, I am new to this site, so I don't know what y'all do or don't do, know, or don't know.

1983 GPz 750

More
15 Aug 2013 03:17 #601523 by jeffasaki
good answer

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

More
15 Aug 2013 08:42 #601531 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic Clicking while rolling
I wasnt aware that the o-ring chain i get from an industrial supplier we use at work was no good. I'm gonna have to tell the boys in maintenance to shut down the machines that run day in day out without any trouble to get better chains.

Anywho, run what you want, inspect it and make sure its good to go, 4,000 miles on my junk chain and it's still going.

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

More
15 Aug 2013 10:25 #601556 by koolaid_kid
An industrial chain has a totally different purpose and construction from a motorcycle chain. Each is designed from the ground up for that purpose. If you do not get 30-35k from a well maintained motorcycle chain then you are doing something wrong.
I put 15k on the o-ring chain on my GS1100E with one adjustment.
Use what you want, its your bike and your life. I use motorcycle chains on my motorcycle.

1983 GPz 750

More
15 Aug 2013 12:25 #601565 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clicking while rolling

koolaid_kid wrote: An industrial chain has a totally different purpose and construction from a motorcycle chain. Each is designed from the ground up for that purpose. If you do not get 30-35k from a well maintained motorcycle chain then you are doing something wrong.
I put 15k on the o-ring chain on my GS1100E with one adjustment.
Use what you want, its your bike and your life. I use motorcycle chains on my motorcycle.

+1 Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• david-b
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I am THAT guy
More
17 Aug 2013 16:49 #601864 by david-b
Replied by david-b on topic Clicking while rolling
Finally got around to working on it today.I checked out the chain, and it looks good inside and out. The sprockets look good as well. I pulled on the chain and it's tight and does not come off the sprockets at all. All teeth look great. Talked with previous owner, and he says the chain was replaced at some point since he's had it, but couldn't remember when.

Attachment IMG_20130817_133140_205.jpg not found

The bike still clicks, even without the center stand, so that was not the problem apparently. Although it's nice knowing that the chain isn't hitting the stand, still a problem. I listened more while riding and it sounds like it's coming from the front anyways. Had no way to capture sound still, but sounds like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle. Anymore thoughts/ideas?
Thankss?

/Dave

2013 Chevy Sonic LT 1.4L Turbo
1982 Kawasaki KZ750-H3 LTD
1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc
Attachments:

More
17 Aug 2013 17:00 #601867 by koolaid_kid
First, an observation: that chain is filthy. You really need to get some kerosene and an old toothbrush and clean all that crud off. Then lube it with a quality chain lube or silicone spray.

O.K., on to the issue. There is not that much that could cause the clicking sound up front. It would either be the rotor/brake pad relationship, or the speedometer drive. My money would be on the speedometer drive. Do you have a way to raise the front wheel off the ground so you can rotate the front wheel? Perhaps a floor jack under the frame, supported by a board wide enough to raise it on the frame rails? Then you could spin the front wheel while stationary and narrow down the location of the clicking sound.

1983 GPz 750