Clicking while rolling

More
17 Aug 2013 17:07 - 17 Aug 2013 17:07 #601868 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clicking while rolling

koolaid_kid wrote: First, an observation: that chain is filthy. You really need to get some kerosene and an old toothbrush and clean all that crud off. Then lube it with a quality chain lube or silicone spray.

O.K., on to the issue. There is not that much that could cause the clicking sound up front. It would either be the rotor/brake pad relationship, or the speedometer drive. My money would be on the speedometer drive. Do you have a way to raise the front wheel off the ground so you can rotate the front wheel? Perhaps a floor jack under the frame, supported by a board wide enough to raise it on the frame rails? Then you could spin the front wheel while stationary and narrow down the location of the clicking sound.

Good advice - but will he take it? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/590531-click...?limitstart=0#601239

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 17 Aug 2013 17:07 by 650ed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2013 17:30 #601873 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Clicking while rolling

650ed wrote:

koolaid_kid wrote: First, an observation: that chain is filthy. You really need to get some kerosene and an old toothbrush and clean all that crud off. Then lube it with a quality chain lube or silicone spray.

O.K., on to the issue. There is not that much that could cause the clicking sound up front. It would either be the rotor/brake pad relationship, or the speedometer drive. My money would be on the speedometer drive. Do you have a way to raise the front wheel off the ground so you can rotate the front wheel? Perhaps a floor jack under the frame, supported by a board wide enough to raise it on the frame rails? Then you could spin the front wheel while stationary and narrow down the location of the clicking sound.

Good advice - but will he take it? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/590531-click...?limitstart=0#601239

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Apparently not.
Point taken, Ed.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

• david-b
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I am THAT guy
More
18 Aug 2013 00:44 #601938 by david-b
Replied by david-b on topic Clicking while rolling
You guys are funny thanks for the chuckle :unsure:

The purpose of driving it today was to see if in the fact the removal of the center stand made a difference. Make a change, test the change. Eliminated 1 possibility.

I don't have any way at the moment to lift the bikes wheels off the ground which is why that wasn't done. Have a limited number of supplies in my storage shed right now where I'm working on the bike. I replaced the speedo cable today (last one was taped together, literally electrical tape held it to the gauge cluster) and the speed seems way off. Not sure if that shows symptoms of a bad speedo gear or not.

Will clean the chain... really didn't know how to go about that and haven't done much research on that yet. But good advice, thank you. Will also work on finding a way to jack the bike up.
Thanks

/Dave

2013 Chevy Sonic LT 1.4L Turbo
1982 Kawasaki KZ750-H3 LTD
1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc

More
18 Aug 2013 00:53 - 18 Aug 2013 00:55 #601940 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clicking while rolling
You can get a cheap little bottle jack (<$20) and use it under the front of the engine (with centerstand in place) to lift the front end off the ground. Use a small piece of wood between jack & engine to protect engine's fins. Ed

Attachment 00000_2013-08-17.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Aug 2013 00:55 by 650ed.

More
18 Aug 2013 01:16 - 18 Aug 2013 01:19 #601947 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Clicking while rolling
I could do it using the OEM jack from my Focus. Do you have a car?
And yes, we have a good time teasing folk as well, it helps lighten the mood.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2013 01:19 by koolaid_kid.