'78 Z1R, cannot get front brake rotors off

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
04 Mar 2013 00:41 #575190 by newOld_kz1000
'78 Z1R, cannot get front brake rotors off was created by newOld_kz1000
I've got to strip, clean and re-paint the stock wheels on my '78 Z1R, they came on the bike in a weird blue color.

Well I did manage to remove all the bolts that secure the 2 rotors to the front wheel.

But the rotors won't come off.

Here are photos. Couple things to note, yes I already removed some of the paint as a test to see if I had an effective agent to do so (Kleen-Strip's Paint Remover as it turns out) and yes I'm wearing flip flops there on my feet, it's over 70 degrees here in Silicon Valley. I guess high tech and snow don't mix B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B)

What is the trick to prying off these rotors? This is a stock Z1R set of wheels, just painted weird. Pulling hard on them didn't work. Using my long breaker bar to get some lever didn't work neither.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2013 00:47 #575192 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic '78 Z1R, cannot get front brake rotors off
Maybe try soaking the joints between the rotor and wheel with Kroil for a couple days. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
04 Mar 2013 00:52 #575194 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic '78 Z1R, cannot get front brake rotors off
They were probably installed when that blue paint was wet,or they just corroded together from all that fine see air out there.
Try bang on the rotors from behind with a piece of wood,you could also trying heating up rotor bolt flange area with a propane torch to get it warm then try banging on them to loosen them up. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Mar 2013 00:53 #575195 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic '78 Z1R, cannot get front brake rotors off

650ed wrote: Maybe try soaking the joints between the rotor and wheel with Kroil for a couple days. Ed

Good deal 650, where locally can I buy that Kroil? I was in Harbor Freight the other day and didn't see any. I live near the 10th biggest city in this entire country, surely they sell that Kroil through outlets dont' they?

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Mar 2013 00:58 #575199 by newOld_kz1000

wireman wrote: They were probably installed when that blue paint was wet,or they just corroded together from all that fine see air out there.
Try bang on the rotors from behind with a piece of wood,you could also trying heating up rotor bolt flange area with a propane torch to get it warm then try banging on them to loosen them up. B)

wireman that is a dang fine idea, I did not think to whack them from behind. Too much sun today, my brain must be fried.

When I clean everything up real good after getting the rotors off, will I still find that I need a rubber mallet to pop them back on into place, are the stock tolerances between the rotor and hub that tight? Or if I do a good job on the clean-up, will the rotors just fall right into place with very little effort?

I don't have experience with the tolerances between a rotor and hub at all.

• wireman
  • User
More
04 Mar 2013 00:58 #575200 by wireman
The problem is the state youre in ,not the city! :woohoo:
wd40 is probably the toughest stuff you can buy there without somebody calling the hazmat unit on ya B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
More
04 Mar 2013 01:00 #575201 by wireman

newOld_kz1000 wrote:

wireman wrote: They were probably installed when that blue paint was wet,or they just corroded together from all that fine see air out there.

wireman that is a dang fine idea, I did not think to whack them from behind. Too much sun today, my brain must be fried.

When I clean everything up real good after getting the rotors off, will I still find that I need a rubber mallet to pop them back on into place, are the stock tolerances between the rotor and hub that tight? Or if I do a good job on the clean-up, will the rotors just fall right into place with very little effort?

I don't have experience with the tolerances between a rotor and hub at all.

No once you get the corrosion cleaned out of there they will go on and off much easier :)

More
04 Mar 2013 01:08 #575205 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic '78 Z1R, cannot get front brake rotors off
While the rotors are in hand, would consider having them trued by an automotive service facility that has a flywheel grinder.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
04 Mar 2013 01:14 - 04 Mar 2013 01:14 #575209 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic '78 Z1R, cannot get front brake rotors off

newOld_kz1000 wrote:

650ed wrote: Maybe try soaking the joints between the rotor and wheel with Kroil for a couple days. Ed

Good deal 650, where locally can I buy that Kroil? I was in Harbor Freight the other day and didn't see any. I live near the 10th biggest city in this entire country, surely they sell that Kroil through outlets dont' they?

See info in link. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/573728-78...lot-air-screw#573746

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 04 Mar 2013 01:14 by 650ed.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
04 Mar 2013 01:58 #575222 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic '78 Z1R, cannot get front brake rotors off
a blowtorch and a prybar would be my first best guess, but upon second look is that wheel bearing got to come out?

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Mar 2013 02:14 #575223 by newOld_kz1000

wireman wrote: The problem is the state youre in ,not the city! :woohoo:
wd40 is probably the toughest stuff you can buy there without somebody calling the hazmat unit on ya B)

I'd like to know why states with the best weather always attract large numbers of rascals. California going down the tubes, sun is out, head to the beach, the beach does not care about anything but looking good and feeling great and providing sand for motorsports fun and hot young ladies.

Plus you can ride all year round here.

The rascals ruining the state won't last forever, the beach will always be a cool place to go.
AMEN.

The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Mar 2013 02:17 - 04 Mar 2013 02:19 #575224 by newOld_kz1000

donthaveakawman wrote: a blowtorch and a prybar would be my first best guess, but upon second look is that wheel bearing got to come out?

I'm leaning heavily in favor of new wheel bearings. As long as I'm probably going to remove them anyways for re-doing the wheels, bearings are not that much $$ and I agree, the ones in there now look their age dont they.

Patton thanks for the tip, I'll have the 3 rotors turned, I think that's what you meant, it will give a good vibration-free brake feel.

But brings up a question, I've never removed wheel bearings, do I knock them out from the opposite side, or do I need a special tool?

And I guess for installation, a rubber mallet?

Last edit: 04 Mar 2013 02:19 by newOld_kz1000.