'78 Z1R, cannot get front brake rotors off

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
04 Mar 2013 02:33 #575226 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic '78 Z1R, cannot get front brake rotors off
opposite side, make sure you can get new ones.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
04 Mar 2013 03:38 #575236 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic '78 Z1R, cannot get front brake rotors off

donthaveakawman wrote: opposite side, make sure you can get new ones.

Good thinking, I always try to think of that issue before I buy a vintage machine, didn't think about the wheel bearings. Lucky for me, in this case the same wheel bearings were used on huge number of Kaw bikes.

I just ran into this issue earlier today -- the carbs on my Z1R '78 were stuck and I broke part of the carbs linkage when I got too ham-fisted as I tried unsticking them, and had to hunt around online to the point I started to sweat, the 28mm carbs on the '78 Z1R are just a bit different than the other Kz1000 models in '78 and around there.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
04 Mar 2013 05:13 #575238 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic '78 Z1R, cannot get front brake rotors off

newOld_kz1000 wrote:

wireman wrote: The problem is the state youre in ,not the city! :woohoo:
wd40 is probably the toughest stuff you can buy there without somebody calling the hazmat unit on ya B)

I'd like to know why states with the best weather always attract large numbers of rascals. California going down the tubes, sun is out, head to the beach, the beach does not care about anything but looking good and feeling great and providing sand for motorsports fun and hot young ladies.

Plus you can ride all year round here.

The rascals ruining the state won't last forever, the beach will always be a cool place to go.
AMEN.

It seems like everytime I go back out there to do a job Im amazed at the looks I get when I try and find the simplest things to do a job! :sick: :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
04 Mar 2013 10:41 #575253 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic '78 Z1R, cannot get front brake rotors off

newOld_kz1000 wrote:

donthaveakawman wrote: a blowtorch and a prybar would be my first best guess, but upon second look is that wheel bearing got to come out?

I'm leaning heavily in favor of new wheel bearings. As long as I'm probably going to remove them anyways for re-doing the wheels, bearings are not that much $$ and I agree, the ones in there now look their age dont they.

Patton thanks for the tip, I'll have the 3 rotors turned, I think that's what you meant, it will give a good vibration-free brake feel.

But brings up a question, I've never removed wheel bearings, do I knock them out from the opposite side, or do I need a special tool?

And I guess for installation, a rubber mallet?

Here's a place that properly resurfaces motorcycle rotors:

www.truedisk.net/

Regarding the bearing, yes, drive them out from the other side using a drift pin and hammer, be sure to remove the cir-clips first. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
04 Mar 2013 11:19 - 05 Mar 2013 11:58 #575257 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -->> wheel bearings <<--
Bearings. Be sure to remove the snap rings first. From the diagrams, there is a distance collar that has a flange on it, which can be ruined.

On my 81 650, the flange is closer to the left side, so it's easier to remove the right side bearing first. I just inserted a big screwdriver from the left side & was able to just catch the edge of the right side bearing by pushing the collar out of the way a little. Then beat out the bearing. The other side should be easy after removing the first one.

Note which bearing should be installed first. On my bike, the distance collar can only be inserted thru one side, so I have to install the opposite side bearing first, then the collar, then the remaining bearing.

Bearing driver. Use a bearing driver. Apply grease to the bearing races & a little to the wheel, then tap tap tap them evenly in place, until seated. After getting them started even, I gave 'em a good whack to drive them home - there is a risk of driving them crooked.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2013 11:58 by martin_csr.

More
04 Mar 2013 13:30 #575270 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic -->> wheel bearings <<--
when installing bearings make sure to always drive them from the side that has the #'S and words on the race.
and,
only apply force to the outer race.
if you hit the inner race,each ball will divot the races and ruin the bearings.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
04 Mar 2013 14:12 #575277 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic -->> wheel bearings <<--

531blackbanshee wrote: when installing bearings make sure to always drive them from the side that has the #'S and words on the race.
and,
only apply force to the outer race.
if you hit the inner race,each ball will divot the races and ruin the bearings.

leon

Good advice! Also, if you can find a short piece of PVC pipe the same diameter as the outer race you can hold it between the race and the hammer and gently tap the new bearing in working evenly around the diameter so as not to cock the bearing in the wheel. A little grease on the bearing seat area of the wheel helps too, bit don't over do it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
04 Mar 2013 16:43 #575297 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic -->> wheel bearings <<--
If possible,put the new bearings in the freezer for a couple of hours, this will slightly shrink them, and when getting ready to install the new bearings, slightly heat up the wheel area they will go in. This method should make the bearings almost drop in.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Mar 2013 00:13 - 05 Mar 2013 00:27 #575355 by newOld_kz1000
Mein gott, first I have to get this dang blue paint off.

I really 100% appreciate the bearing advice, and the old ones are definitely coming out heading for the recycling bin, all the bearing advice here is appreciated.

Soda blast to clean the wheel? I bought my portable 15lbs-of-soda-at-a-time Soda Blaster from Harbor Freight, if I do this in the back yard on my Z1R wheel, with the 6' tall fence around my back yard, will my neighbor see a big white cloud? If they do the cops might show up and I'd have to take some appropriate reaction. Such as ducking into my garage real fast, locking the door and hiding till their gone.

I bought three 50-pound bags of soda in case I get going on it. Wheels, frame, engine, the whole dang bike needs blasting.

How big a cloud will my soda blaster make?

Last edit: 05 Mar 2013 00:27 by newOld_kz1000.

• wireman
  • User
More
05 Mar 2013 00:44 #575359 by wireman
Depends on how big your compressor is,I get pretty carried away with mine some times! :laugh:
For the frame you might want to try glass beads as rusty as it is B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Mar 2013 02:28 #575396 by newOld_kz1000

wireman wrote: Depends on how big your compressor is,I get pretty carried away with mine some times! :laugh:
For the frame you might want to try glass beads as rusty as it is B)

wireman when you say how big, does it refer to the CFM flow rate, or the PSI of my compressor? I have a 120psi compressor that does about 2.5CFM. It's around 3.5 gallon total and has wheels for mobility and is oilless.

Is my Z1R frame going to take that seriously if I buy a glass blead gun for it?
Or will my soda blaster be enough?

• wireman
  • User
More
05 Mar 2013 03:13 #575405 by wireman
That wont be so bad,its the 60 gallon 2 stage versions that never seem to run out of air that make big mess.
Because you can run that tank dry without stopping to let compressor catch up ,when I stripped the cab for my 69 chevy project truck it looked like it was snowing in my back yard in the middle of july! :woohoo: