Alternate brake pedals/shift levers?

More
25 Nov 2012 14:03 #559999 by Shimmy
Alternate brake pedals/shift levers? was created by Shimmy
And about a minute after my introduction post, right into the questions. :)

I have a 1980 KZ750 LTD that I'm cafe-ing up a bit, and I was noticing that if I flipped the footpeg brackets (and then the footpegs within the brackets), it should put them just about in the right place to be makeshift rearsets. All I'd need then are a different brake pedal and shift lever.

So my first question is if I were to eBay a shorter brake lever, does anyone know which models have pedals which would fit the (30-tooth, 15mm or whatever it is) shaft? Maybe all Kawis from a certain year range are the same or just KZs of certain sizes or something?

Secondly, I'm under the impression shift levers are all pretty compatible, but for the shift lever to be in the right spot, it'd have to be quite short - no more than a couple inches. Any advice on finding something like that (like certain types of bikes that tend to have very short levers)?

Or maybe it'd be better to bribe my neighbour the welder to shorten the existing pedal and lever? (I'd like to not modify things permanently if I can help it.) Or maybe the whole idea is crazy?

I'd welcome any suggestions, thanks!

1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• seanbarney41
  • User
  • '79 kz1000 LTD '75 Honda CB750
More
25 Nov 2012 14:33 #560005 by seanbarney41
Replied by seanbarney41 on topic Alternate brake pedals/shift levers?

More
25 Nov 2012 14:43 #560007 by Shimmy
Replied by Shimmy on topic Alternate brake pedals/shift levers?
Yeah, same general idea about the peg positioning. Like I said, I'd like to avoid cutting the existing pedal, but good to see it works. That's one idea for what to do about the shift lever I'll have to keep in mind if I run across some of those parts.

1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

More
25 Nov 2012 15:58 #560018 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Alternate brake pedals/shift levers?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationPerhaps buy a cheap used pedal to modify and re-finish.

Something like this might fit:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
25 Nov 2012 18:10 #560028 by Shimmy
Yeah, I think if I can't find something the right length out of the box, that's probably what I'll do. Might as well do it cheap :) . I might have to ask my neighbour how many beer a job like that would cost . . .

1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
28 Nov 2012 01:20 #560300 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Alternate brake pedals/shift levers?
How about just flipping the shifter over backwards,just shift down instead of up B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
28 Nov 2012 01:35 #560301 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic Alternate brake pedals/shift levers?
gp shift all the cool kids are doin it.... that and growing beards...

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

More
01 Dec 2012 11:46 #560782 by Shimmy
I was thinking of that - either way I'll need a short shift lever but if it fits a little better flipped, I'll just do that, and feel like a badass ;) . I think tomorrow I'll get a chance to get things in position and do some measuring.

1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

More
01 Dec 2012 12:18 #560783 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic Alternate brake pedals/shift levers?
I'm using a shifter from a Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird with my rear sets and it works for me. Best of all was it was free. A friend of mine bought a RC51 Honda and it had been converted to GP Shift and he didn't like it so he went back to standard shift and gave me the shift lever off of the Blackbird.

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

More
22 Dec 2012 18:31 #564112 by Shimmy
Sorry I didn't see your post earlier, dejavoodo.

As an update, I eBay'd myself a brake lever off a 1985-1990 Kawasaki EN450 (after a ton of searching eBay, Google image searches of various bikes, and running out to the shed to measure things from all angles), and it went on without modification and is just about perfect.

The pedal itself isn't *quite* as far out as the stock one so I have to reach in a bit with my toe to use it, but on the plus side, I don't have to worry about dragging the brake if I relax my foot. :)

Next I have a shift lever coming which I plan to bend shorter and cut (and maybe grind down a place to put the rubber). Apologies if that's clear as mud . . .

1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
22 Dec 2012 19:44 #564130 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Alternate brake pedals/shift levers?
How about turning stock shifter around?
Shifting will just be reversed B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
22 Dec 2012 20:17 #564134 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Alternate brake pedals/shift levers?
© 2012 EBSCO Industries, Inc. All rights reserved.