Heavy Duty Motor Mounts

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
28 Aug 2011 00:37 #472261 by DoctoRot
Heavy Duty Motor Mounts was created by DoctoRot
I have been looking for some heavy duty motor mounts for my 78 KZ1000. As far a i can tell there are only two companies making them, Kosman Specialties; which is going through some management changes and isn't producing them right now, and D&G Chassis; which don't look nearly as strong (or as cool). I have been checking ebay regularly and the only ones i have seen I was outbid at $200. Im thinking about trying to make some of my own, Not really sure where to start other than making templates of the existing ones and making them thicker and adding over-sized bolts. Any thoughts on what type of metal I should use for this, or how I should go about fabricating these? thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2011 00:45 #472262 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Heavy Duty Motor Mounts
Light and strong(with extra holes for weight reduction) can be Aluminum 6061 T-6 or 7075. if you want steel ones, maybe steel in 1018 would work. Find a member here(BlackBanshee) as he has a shop that might be able to make the plates for you.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
29 Aug 2011 12:48 #472525 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Heavy Duty Motor Mounts
OK, I'll bite what are heavy duty motor mounts?

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Aug 2011 13:11 #472528 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Heavy Duty Motor Mounts
pretty simple to make. just use alum. go up to the next imperial size from the current metric bolt sizes. then u will have an easy time reaming the cases out to acomodate the biger bolts. u will need to weld a small bolt onto the side of the nut that fits onto the motor from below. u can replace the long front mounting rod/bolt with 2 similar nuts,and bolts as well.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Aug 2011 13:35 #472531 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Heavy Duty Motor Mounts
Hi, I always made flat aluminum ones. countersuck flatheads in them. 3/8" thick aluminum.
Just liked the look. Always had short distance, hot rod, drag bikes.
I also ruined the cases by threading 1/2" coarse bolts into them.
Never ruined any early # case though.
Check with "oinkjohnson" ebay name. He is always dismantaling dragbikes. He's cornered the market on parts? Always wondered if he has help with his bids???
Oink's like the gold & silver pawn shop. If you got an older dragbike that you can't sell, he'll buy it off you for 1/2 price.
Whatever? Here is a pic of mine

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

More
29 Aug 2011 17:21 #472607 by 893cv
Replied by 893cv on topic Heavy Duty Motor Mounts
Pingle still makes them. It is part #MMK.

1980 kz1000 LTD
1978 Z1R

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
29 Aug 2011 17:24 #472608 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Heavy Duty Motor Mounts
Somebody offered to make up a bunch of motor mount kits and frame brace kits once but nobody was interested in them :laugh:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Aug 2011 18:05 #472621 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Heavy Duty Motor Mounts
I talked to Gary "gunsbluemoon" on ebay. He sells the tee fittings, float gauges, manual cam chain tensioners, exhaust flanges, etc. I believe he has Jeff S. sell them also.

I told him to start making motor mounts a while ago.

He does very nice work, precision machinist.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
30 Aug 2011 03:07 #472746 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Heavy Duty Motor Mounts
Those counter sunk flathead bolts look pretty cool. I'm not sure what route i'm going to go yet, they seem pretty easy to make, but i don't have much time these days. I might just go with the Pingle mounts, just to get the engine on there and make progress in other directions..

More
30 Aug 2011 13:58 #472863 by zmaniscalco
Replied by zmaniscalco on topic Heavy Duty Motor Mounts
I talked to the owner of kosmanspecialties.com/ yesterday, and they are making the lits again
frame brace
motor mount kit

78 kZ1000
79 KZ1000 Ltd turbo

More
22 Sep 2011 05:08 #478528 by Zedone
Replied by Zedone on topic Heavy Duty Motor Mounts
I just used the stock motor mounts as templates and used 6061 T6 alum. 3/4" thick X 3" wide bar stock (bought @ 4' long piece). I used a jigsaw (& tons of cutting fluid,lol) and cut the rough size & then used a coarse file and slowly worked up to a finer one. I then used a drill press and did the holes. I also found that using imperial bolts (grade 8) fit perfectly in the stock frame holes (no slop at all) super easy to find at any hardware store. I think theres only 2 bolts that are metric and I had to reuse them @ the tapped frame hole locations lower middle right side.

The rear upper (shifter side) mount I had to relieve a triangular shape off of the inside for chain clearances, just for peace of mind.... I don't think the chain will ever contact the mount as the swingarm shd not ever get that close but if you have 2 heavy people on the bike it may.

You will need a spacer to replace the stock steel "spool shaped" one on that side as well (if you want to match the "polished aluminum" effect"). I just drilled out a piece of alum. round bar stock on the drill press and cut it to the proper length. You need to retain the battery box mount at that location.

One other item you need to address (unless your running rearsets) is a mounting bracket for your rear brake light switch. I mounted (drilled & tapped) a small piece of alum angle and drilled 2 holes to mount it to the MM and one more (larger one) for the switch itself. You also need a round spacer on the inside of the MM using the same bar stock as the MM on the shifter side just shorter.

This was one project that was a blast to do and didn't cost much either.

Cheers, Doug

1977 KZ1000A1
1977 KZ1000A1 (Superbike Project)
1969 Chevrolet C/10 Short Fleet
Attachments:

More
22 Sep 2011 11:32 #478566 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Heavy Duty Motor Mounts
nice!

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0