KZ1000 steering damper mounting

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Aug 2011 20:46 #472672 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic KZ1000 steering damper mounting
This is one of them bolt to the valve cover, with a Z1 triple tree. On a 1977 KZ1000.
I bought this bike like this.

Then I mounted 2 - Z1 stock stabilizers on the hot rod just because it looks cool. This is a KZ triple tree, just drilled holes through both sides. Then welded lugs on the frame rails.
Either way you have to modify or fabricate something.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2011 22:04 #472691 by zmaniscalco
Replied by zmaniscalco on topic KZ1000 steering damper mounting

trianglelaguna wrote: to me ,just to me only,a weave at higher speeds often imo is 90% rear shock stiffness or just a different shock needed...when i have a weave and i swap the rear shocks .. it not only often in a flash goes away , but is way more fun to ride,which then points out new wobbles...:ohmy: ....a great brand of shocks can still havea bad run or get old and loose their juices,or even new the combo is not right due to the bike or tires or changes to the bikes along the way,or good shock co. get lax and make a few wobbly /flexer shocks, it is a five minute switch and can be felt right away....steering dampners is something i am wondering about before too long myself,the dual disk kz's wobble the forks some...nice friggin bike...wow

ok nice info, I did come home and check tires, way low front 28/need42 back 32/need 50, and then put a string on the back tire to front and it was out, fixed that. I have a new set of Harley shock and have then on the stiffest setting, I will play with that next before going down the road of damper. I am going to start a new tread on height of bike to see how off I am.
Thanks for all the great feedback.

78 kZ1000
79 KZ1000 Ltd turbo

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
29 Aug 2011 22:56 #472696 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic KZ1000 steering damper mounting
i run 38 r and 36 - 35 - 34 front and stiff stuff

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
29 Aug 2011 23:07 #472699 by zmaniscalco
that is what is says on the side of the tire, I think that is going to be a rough ride. I might back off a little, I was going to check for weavy rear end first.

78 kZ1000
79 KZ1000 Ltd turbo

More
30 Aug 2011 13:28 #472848 by Charlie650
Replied by Charlie650 on topic KZ1000 steering damper mounting
I usually fit steering dampers cos I actually prefer the stiffer steering they give. I guess it's what I am used to.

My ZX10R has one (it needs one) My H1-F has one (it DEFINATELY needs one lol) so I will stick one on my 650C1 too.

I just need to source a 36mm fork clamp (I don't really want to drill the bottom yoke like I did back in 1983 when I last had one of these bikes) and will use the reflector mount as I did before.

I think they look kinda cool on those older Kawasaki's too. That alone is reason enough to add one perhaps ;)

1977 KZ650C1
1975 H1F 500 Triple
2005 ZX10R
Sheffield(ish) UK

More
30 Aug 2011 13:51 #472857 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic KZ1000 steering damper mounting
old triple trees cut up make nice steering damper mounts.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
30 Aug 2011 13:54 #472859 by zmaniscalco

z1kzonly wrote: This is one of them bolt to the valve cover, with a Z1 triple tree. On a 1977 KZ1000.
I bought this bike like this.

Then I mounted 2 - Z1 stock stabilizers on the hot rod just because it looks cool. This is a KZ triple tree, just drilled holes through both sides. Then welded lugs on the frame rails.
Either way you have to modify or fabricate something.

I like the mount

78 kZ1000
79 KZ1000 Ltd turbo

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
30 Aug 2011 13:56 #472860 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic KZ1000 steering damper mounting

zmaniscalco wrote:

trianglelaguna wrote: to me ,just to me only,a weave at higher speeds often imo is 90% rear shock stiffness or just a different shock needed...when i have a weave and i swap the rear shocks .. it not only often in a flash goes away , but is way more fun to ride,which then points out new wobbles...:ohmy: ....a great brand of shocks can still havea bad run or get old and loose their juices,or even new the combo is not right due to the bike or tires or changes to the bikes along the way,or good shock co. get lax and make a few wobbly /flexer shocks, it is a five minute switch and can be felt right away....steering dampners is something i am wondering about before too long myself,the dual disk kz's wobble the forks some...nice friggin bike...wow

ok nice info, I did come home and check tires, way low front 28/need42 back 32/need 50, and then put a string on the back tire to front and it was out, fixed that. I have a new set of Harley shock and have then on the stiffest setting, I will play with that next before going down the road of damper. I am going to start a new tread on height of bike to see how off I am.

low tire preasure alone is not a cause for concern. it is normal to run tires at 30/30 (or less depending on brand)at the track for road racing. this gives it a bigger footprint, and heats up the tire more due to the tire flexing more.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
30 Aug 2011 15:12 #472885 by zmaniscalco

mark1122 wrote:

zmaniscalco wrote:

low tire preasure alone is not a cause for concern. it is normal to run tires at 30/30 (or less depending on brand)at the track for road racing. this gives it a bigger footprint, and heats up the tire more due to the tire flexing more.

I thought so.......

78 kZ1000
79 KZ1000 Ltd turbo

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
30 Aug 2011 17:37 #472958 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic KZ1000 steering damper mounting
The pressure marked on the sidewall of the tire is not the pressure you want to run the tire at all the time.

Way too much.

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread

More
31 Aug 2011 01:03 #473096 by zmaniscalco
lol, look what I did tonight.
and I did drop the presure of the tires a bit

Attachment photo.JPG not found

78 kZ1000
79 KZ1000 Ltd turbo
Attachments:

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
31 Aug 2011 04:04 #473151 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic KZ1000 steering damper mounting
B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.