KZ1000 steering damper mounting

More
29 Aug 2011 15:09 #472569 by zmaniscalco
Replied by zmaniscalco on topic KZ1000 steering damper mounting
ok, I called Kosman to see if they could find one.........
He did not even know they made one.

78 kZ1000
79 KZ1000 Ltd turbo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2011 15:14 #472570 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic KZ1000 steering damper mounting
If you're going to use the reflector mount make sure you weld it securely before using it for a dampener mount. IIRC they're only welded on one side of the reflector holder and not very well at that.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
29 Aug 2011 16:04 #472584 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic KZ1000 steering damper mounting

zmaniscalco wrote: To start I have a lowered bike.
I had no problem till I changed struts to shocks and changed steering head bearings. It has new swing arm bearings, and I get a weave in my tail at high speeds.
I am going to add a steering damper and on a 79 kz1000 frame I do not see a good place to mount I am looking for ideas. I am thinking of top of valve cover with a custom mount, or a mount that will have to drill the frame. Help.

Attachment bikeweb.jpg not found

Attachment bikeweb2.jpg not found

Attachment homer.jpg not found

have you tried shorter rear shocks? the rear seems to be a little higher than the front to me anyway B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

More
29 Aug 2011 16:15 #472588 by zmaniscalco
Replied by zmaniscalco on topic KZ1000 steering damper mounting
I had a 11” strut on the back and put 12” Harley shocks on and I think it sits about 11.75, it has the

Ltd mag, so it should be about 2.5” lower, the front I will have to check but is 3” lower. I will have to check on this when I get home.
I gave you a different angle.

Attachment bikeweb3.jpg not found

78 kZ1000
79 KZ1000 Ltd turbo
Attachments:

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
29 Aug 2011 16:26 #472594 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic KZ1000 steering damper mounting
I used a damper off a Gixxer ,custom made a valve cover mount, and used a fork tube mount right below the bottom triple ..works fine.I lost a few mm travel lock to lock but no biggie.mine also had a head shake at 75-80 on long left sweepers and I had new everything suspension wise.Damper cured it.Nice scooter by the way.bj

• wireman
  • User
More
29 Aug 2011 17:19 - 29 Aug 2011 17:28 #472606 by wireman

zmaniscalco wrote: I had a 11” strut on the back and put 12” Harley shocks on and I think it sits about 11.75, it has the

Ltd mag, so it should be about 2.5” lower, the front I will have to check but is 3” lower. I will have to check on this when I get home.
I gave you a different angle.

Attachment bikeweb3.jpg not found

judging by how low that bottem triple tree is sitting compared to lower fork leg id say you need shorter shocks,or possibly unslug the front end.
i used to run a stock length 650 frontend 10 1/4"-10 1/2" rear shocks on my 1327 before i put the 3" over swingarm on it ,it tracked down the road straight as an arrow at any speed i had the balls to push it to without a dampner. :laugh:
the biggest problem was getting the frontend to stay planted when would hammer on it! :woohoo:

Attachment blackbitch.JPG not found

hers what my 1327 looked like after the first quickie build with 650 forks and the stubbie rear shocks before i changed wheels/swingarm and body work on it B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Aug 2011 17:28 by wireman.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Aug 2011 17:57 - 29 Aug 2011 18:08 #472617 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic KZ1000 steering damper mounting
i had a bit of an issue at the track . after scraping the motor hard on the track during a turn, the front end lost traction. As the bike and I struggled to regain traction, I got into a bit of a tank slapper.
so i decided to resurrect my old steering damper. i just cobbled together what i could using my trusty grinder and hand tools. i already had the alum brackets and arm, which i made in night school a million years ago.
I just took a piece of alum angle and made it work. I had planned to do this before so I had a post welded to the frame neck in front of the tank.
here are some pics.

Attachment 07_2010_kz_damper_002_2011-08-29.jpg not found

This is what it looks like installed.
as it sits with no tape , it just looks like a big ugly chunk of alum angle.
So i put some black tape on it in an effort to come up with a better looking part. when i am happy with the look in tape, i will cut the black taped parts out with my trusty grinder and files
i may just mount an electronic temp gauge over top of it? i have seen rectangular shaped temp gauges that may fit just right??

Attachment Damper__08__10_002_2011-08-29.jpg not found

i had to weld a post to the frame for the arm.

Attachment 96zx9_top_tree_007.jpg not found

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Aug 2011 18:08 by mark1122.

• wireman
  • User
More
29 Aug 2011 17:59 #472618 by wireman
hey that black tape had me fooled! :woohoo:

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Aug 2011 18:11 #472623 by mark1122

wireman wrote: hey that black tape had me fooled! :woohoo:

Thats good. it must be working then lol.
i still havent got around to buying a temp gauge to cover it up yet. i've found a couple i like though.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
29 Aug 2011 19:11 #472637 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic KZ1000 steering damper mounting
to me ,just to me only,a weave at higher speeds often imo is 90% rear shock stiffness or just a different shock needed...when i have a weave and i swap the rear shocks .. it not only often in a flash goes away , but is way more fun to ride,which then points out new wobbles...:ohmy: ....a great brand of shocks can still havea bad run or get old and loose their juices,or even new the combo is not right due to the bike or tires or changes to the bikes along the way,or good shock co. get lax and make a few wobbly /flexer shocks, it is a five minute switch and can be felt right away....steering dampners is something i am wondering about before too long myself,the dual disk kz's wobble the forks some...nice friggin bike...wow

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• wireman
  • User
More
29 Aug 2011 19:24 #472640 by wireman
if you can get a hold of a cheap magnetic level(usually around 10" plastic level)stick on bottem side of frame under motor someplace reasonably flat.
then while youre sitting on the bike with it straight up and down have somebody check which way the bubble is sitting in the level,if its sitting forward of that front line id say thats a good chunk of your problem.
when youre laying into it hard most people tend to try and lay into the front end to hold it down which is causing front end to dive even more .the straighter up/down those front forks are the less stability you have at higher speeds .
just something to think about anyway,especially since its only shown up since you put the longer shocks on rear B)

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Aug 2011 19:26 #472642 by mark1122
i agree with u there Craige,.

. i just swaped out the rear shock on my cbr600 track bike. i had a stock shock, and would get a twitch in the bars during hard accel, i think the shock spring was too soft or the damping was packing down(not commimig back up fast enough). i switched to an Elka last week and the problem went away.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)