kz to zx7 conversion part1

More
28 Jan 2007 19:55 #108867 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic kz to zx7 conversion part1
stresser wrote:

hi galaxian did you press the stem out of the zx7 lower tree or just cut it flush? iv tryied to press mine out and it just doesnt budge any idea if its tapered ,i tought there was a tread on here about a taper in the stem but i cant find it,i tryed both directions and she wont move? any info would be great.

tony
:whistle: :whistle:
also if anyone else has any input it would be great
thanks<br><br>Post edited by: stresser, at: 2007/01/28 16:25

If this is any help, the stem wouldn't budge in my GSXR lower clamp. I ended up setting it on top of the vice with the jaws just open enough for the stem to pass through, gently warmed up the lower clamp with a propane torch and drove it out with a BFH. It should drive out the bottom. To adapt the older stem, you could have it built up with weld and machined to match the stem that was driven out, then pressed/driven into the lower clamp.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2007 20:03 #108869 by schmol
Replied by schmol on topic kz to zx7 conversion part1
I too am going thru the same conversion, it's going to look sweet when done. Here is a few pictures of the fork on the bike:

More
29 Jan 2007 12:29 #108976 by galaxian
Replied by galaxian on topic kz to zx7 conversion part1
The ZX7 stem gets cut flush with the lower triple. Then the KZ stem gets pressed in to the old ZX7 stem (which is now acting as a spacer).

1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

More
29 Jan 2007 19:28 #109071 by stresser
Replied by stresser on topic kz to zx7 conversion part1
galaxian wrote:

The ZX7 stem gets cut flush with the lower triple. Then the KZ stem gets pressed in to the old ZX7 stem (which is now acting as a spacer).

thanks for the info ill give it a shot on friday thanks how tight was it pressing the kz stem in did you use ice and heat to get it to go i measure a .006+ differance on the kz side wondering if i should turn it down alittle bit befor i try it.:huh: alsi thank to the rest for there input

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
11 Feb 2007 17:29 #111660 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic kz to zx7 conversion part1
Probably not needed info because this post is a little old now but just in case.

My tripples are off a 96 ZX7 and the KZ frame is 79 LTD.

The ZX7 lower tripple has a circlip on the stem. It's difficult to see and you can't get to it unless you chuck it up in a lathe and turn down the tree from the bottom to expose the circlip. Once you get to it, remove it, heat the tripple clamp with a heat gun and press the stem out through the top of the tripple.

On my KZ, I also modified the top and bottom tripples by milling off material from each to accomadate the KZ stem length and neck length.

Because of needing to remove material from the tripple clamps, I removed the stem first and the material was milled off. You could remove the material from the bottom tripple in a lathe if you had to.

If you don't need to remove material from the lower tree, the ZX7 stem could be cut flush with the tripple and the KZ stem installed into it.

My lower tripple is receiving two set screws and aluminum plugs to fill the holes where the set screws are.

Also note there was need to either open up the stem hole in the top ZX7 tripple to fit the KZ stem or turn down the KZ stem to fit the ZX7 top tripple. I turned down the stem. If you need such a mod, make sure you install the bearing adjuster nut and top tripple on the stem before you press the stem back into the lower tripple. Use heat on the lower tripple when assembling. I also turned down the OD of the ZX7 stem portion a few thousandths.

That's how it all shook out on my bike with the ZX7 front end I have. Not sure if all z7 tripples are alike.