78 KZ750 w/ 03 Gsx-r Swingarm, Monoshock mounting questions (Pics)

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
29 Mar 2006 07:14 #35152 by twowheeledterror
Jornum1 wrote:

yeah like I said in my first post. I wasnt too familiar with monoshock setups. But I am pointed in the right direction now.

Seeing the stock pic helps a lot. I didnt have anything to go on brfore, every other pic I found had the lower fairing covering the linkage.

One thing you might want to do is go to a dealership and just bring your digi cam and take some pics of any angles you want. :thumbup:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2006 02:37 #35380 by indykaw77
Interesting read, this post. Guess my question is, IF you need to re-locate electrices do put a mono-shock on a 900/1000, where do you move them TOO?? I think it was sbjones that his juuuuuuuust cleared the battery tray. Have looked at and studied on mine, but sure dont look like they's much room in there.
But good luck on yer mod, and keep them pictures coming!!

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

More
15 Apr 2006 09:33 #39693 by Jornum1
Ahh so I finally got a chance to work on the bike a little. I just got back from florida!

So I tacked this up. I dont like it, ha!
I do like it, but I have the mounting piece level with the bottom rails of the frame. I think it needs to be rotated up to match the angle of the shock. With it this way, the shock is too close to front of the swingarm. And it just doesnt look right. I think with it rotated, and braced it will look nice.

I plan to brace the rear of the mounting plate with 1" tubing extending from the sides, to the top. They will have a little bend, and be at about a 40 degree angle.
So what do you think?
Does the design look safe?
Oh and I determined the height finally by using the distance from the swingarm bolt, to the mount on the stock frame.

Post edited by: Jornum1, at: 2006/04/15 12:37

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/11/01 19:31

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
15 Apr 2006 18:08 #39791 by twowheeledterror
Jornum1 wrote:

Ahh so I finally got a chance to work on the bike a little. I just got back from florida!

So I tacked this up. I dont like it, ha!
I do like it, but I have the mounting piece level with the bottom rails of the frame. I think it needs to be rotated up to match the angle of the shock. With it this way, the shock is too close to front of the swingarm. And it just doesnt look right. I think with it rotated, and braced it will look nice.

I plan to brace the rear of the mounting plate with 1" tubing extending from the sides, to the top. They will have a little bend, and be at about a 40 degree angle.
So what do you think?
Does the design look safe?
Oh and I determined the height finally by using the distance from the swingarm bolt, to the mount on the stock frame.

<br><br>Post edited by: Jornum1, at: 2006/04/15 12:37

Once it's gusseted and welded, it will be safe. :thumbup:

Remember, a good GMAW weld should be like 65K T.S., and I don't think that's too little for something like this. ;) hahah

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/11/01 19:32

More
12 Jul 2006 21:00 #61592 by mkuper
I am doing a similar swap with a '78 KZ1000 and GSXR front and rear, I would like to see pics of the final top shock mount and how you gusseted the mount.
Thanks, great pics the bike looks awsome.
Mike

More
12 Jul 2006 23:17 #61625 by Lorcan
Hi, I used a slightly earlier GSXR750 arm in my 750T (for Turbo! ;) ). You do have to watch out for the arm brace hitting the frame, so I would suggest you start with a steeper angle on the arm. You can always lower it later with shorter suspension links which are easy to make. Don't be afraid of making it look "steep", it'll handle great and be very stable, and the higher ride height will give you more ground clearance so you can make good use of those wide tyres ;). Sorry I can't help with the shock angle, but modern shocks are much more adjustable than old ones so even if you are a bit out you should be able to adjust it to your liking.

Here's mine from a couple of years ago.

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
24 Jul 2006 07:12 #64193 by mark1122
JUST THOUGHT YOU GUYS MIGHT LIKE TO SEE THIS. www.squatchairclutchsystems.com/projects.htm :evil:

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/11/01 19:36

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
01 Nov 2006 15:14 #89156 by Maverick
Hey Jornum, any progress to report since your last post in April??? I'm very curious to see how it is goin'.

Cheers!

Mav

1981 KZ1000M1

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
01 Nov 2006 17:33 #89196 by Biquetoast
Maverick wrote:

Hey Jornum, any progress to report since your last post in April???....

His profile says:
Last Online 07/11/2006 06:03:35

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
19 Apr 2007 19:13 #132041 by Jornum1
Hello all I am back!
My bike has been in hibernation for a long time. I am hoping to wake it up now!
I had a few people asking me for updates.
Here is where I am at now. I have the front and rear end mounted, and it seems to be working well.
I am finishing up the tail section now. my plan is to shorten it about 7 inches. basically taking the passenger section out.
Here is are two pics I took to give you a idea of what I want to do.
What do you think? Think its too short? I like the short look.
I will post some detailed pics of the monoshock mount later. I only had a chance to snap a couple pics.

a

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/04/20 01:41

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
More
19 Apr 2007 19:21 #132046 by Shoe48
The tail looks real familar Hmmmmmmmm ???:) :)

More
19 Apr 2007 19:27 #132050 by Jornum1
Ha, I guess it does! How has it worked out for you?
Any problem?