78 KZ750 w/ 03 Gsx-r Swingarm, Monoshock mounting questions (Pics)

More
26 Mar 2006 17:57 #34524 by sbjones
did you have to cut the bearings slightly, or switch the steering stem over or what to make the front end fit?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2006 18:00 #34525 by sbjones
please give me some detail on the front end info. pics if possible.

thanks.B)

More
26 Mar 2006 18:38 #34541 by roy-b-boy-b
My.02 cents worth. Looks good. I am doing my Kz 1000 with a GpZ suspension. Is there any chance you could get a shorter shock?
It is going to get tight when you start installing all the electrical.
My shock is vertical (i think).
Is that a shock that can be pre-loaded? Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
26 Mar 2006 19:23 #34561 by Biquetoast
Jornum1 wrote:

...I know everyone tells me its a waste. But I am going for looks as well as performance. So I like the look of the twin, and its my first project like this....

Twins are cool. B) I love 'em. But I hear that stuff every once in a while, too..

First project? :blink: What are you gonna do for a follow-up? ;)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

• wireman
  • Visitor
26 Mar 2006 20:49 #34595 by wireman
damn that is gonna be nice,twin would be a lot easier to toss around in the corners being narrower than a 4,what are you doing to motor?B) goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
26 Mar 2006 22:05 #34611 by Fossil
That's going to very nice, be sure to post pics when you're done.
I was Googling around looking for something and came across this, it may be of use to you, shows how someone else went about monoshocking a frame
kawasaki.kz/

More
27 Mar 2006 03:40 #34630 by Jornum1
Thanks again everyone. Glad to hear the positive feedback.

Yes its my first real modification. I work in the fabrication, machine industry. So I am familiar with the methods, just not on bikes!

I think I have a good idea of what I want to do about the upper mount. I should get it knocked out tonight I hope. I really cant wait to get it sitting on its own.

I will post some pics tonight.

Oh sbjones, Sorry no close ups of the front end. I will try to take some the next time I take it apart. I didnt have to do any cutting, had to press in the stem from the kz, and make a adapter. Then had to bore the top tree to fit the kz stem. That was it. It fit beautifuly.

More
27 Mar 2006 15:16 #34739 by Shaner
Hey Jornum!

I've got a 91 gsxr swingarm with a SV650 shock and the angles are going to be a trial and error I think. Pay attention to the angle the yoke is at on a GSXR and try to get it close. I noticed on mine that even with it at the same angles the twin was alot more stiff. You may have to play with the mount tabs on the bottom to get it right. That's where I'm at with it. I heard you can also get "dogbones" in different sizes to adjust the height.

Let me know if I can help any..

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
27 Mar 2006 15:25 #34742 by twowheeledterror

As mine sits. Assuming we have the baseline of the frame paralell to the ground my shock is at approximately 83*. The reason I did this was that I've found a steeper angle creates a harsher ride.

Also, having access to machining equipment will help in that you can make your own tie rods to put the rear end where you want it. I am actually thinking of notching my swingarm and reboxing it a bit to make the ass end tall... (That is assuming I keep this swingarm on here. Might do a different idea now.)

Anyhow, put it wherever you feel comfortable. Just tack weld the supports for it so you can move it and try a few options. :thumbup:

Post edited by: twowheeledterror, at: 2006/03/27 18:30

More
29 Mar 2006 06:19 #35137 by Jornum1
Ok I tacked on the tabs, lined everything up.
and....

I dont like the way it sits. I think I am going to have to make a longer set of tabs, and make some shorter dog bones.

I finally found a stock pic of the linkage

From looking at this pic, I think I was going about it backwards. I will have to make the top mount first, and set the angle of the shock. Then from there figure out the lengths of the linkage.
Because the way I have it set up, the shock is way too high. It needs to drop down a good 2 or 3 inches.

I am glad I did a little more research into this because I would have been pissed if I found out I did it the wrong way after I was done!

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/11/01 19:30

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
29 Mar 2006 06:44 #35144 by twowheeledterror
You should ALWAYS mount the upper shock mount first.

Like I was saying you can always make new linkages, which is why you do that last. Honestly, mount the upper shock mount and then mount the triangulated pivot. DOn't worry about the angle of the swingarm yet.

Get those mounted (making sure you clear the arm though).

Worry about the arm later, cause that angle is detirmined by the linkages lengths.

More
29 Mar 2006 06:51 #35149 by Jornum1
yeah like I said in my first post. I wasnt too familiar with monoshock setups. But I am pointed in the right direction now.

Seeing the stock pic helps a lot. I didnt have anything to go on brfore, every other pic I found had the lower fairing covering the linkage.