Bleeding nightmare

More
21 Mar 2006 00:31 #32999 by WTF!
Bleeding nightmare was created by WTF!
Having a not so fun time trying to bleed out my dual front discs on the 900. I can get a decent 'pedal' when I isolate the system up to the splitter to the left and right caliper. From there on it refuses to get hard :P
I have taken all the hardware off and elevated it above the MC and tried to bleed it again. Had some improvement but still a soft aerated pedal.

Anybody else dealt with this before...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
21 Mar 2006 04:02 #33006 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Bleeding nightmare
I had the same problem. I eventually went for a vacuum pump, which didn't help either. What eventually happened is that I let it sit for a day or so and tried again. The second time a bubble of air must have migrated because it came right up. I think you're on the right track elevating the cylinders, it can't hurt.

Aren't you glad you don't have to do this stuff for a living?

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
21 Mar 2006 04:37 #33016 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic Bleeding nightmare
hey kzcsi what is mbd?

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
21 Mar 2006 04:45 #33017 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Bleeding nightmare
I've only done a few sets so far but it's always taken a lot of pumping. I use a jar of fluid with a bit of hose from the nipple into the jar so I can see air and so air doesn't get back through the nipple. Then I pump one side until it's flowing good and clean with no air, then switch to the other side. If still soft I go back to the first side. So far it's worked but has always taken a lot of fluid and pumping.

-Duck

More
21 Mar 2006 08:01 #33055 by WTF!
Replied by WTF! on topic Bleeding nightmare
Hey that's funny! - cause I used to do this for a living on light automotive petrol and diesel.
Embarressingly I was top of trade school for brakes too...
Just running out of ideas but pleased to see that the litre of fluid I have pumped through is similar to all your experiences.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

More
21 Mar 2006 08:30 #33060 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Bleeding nightmare
I don't have a lot of time right now(gotta get My ass to work),but I went through the same thing,years back,and I DID post about it in the archives.You HAVE to remove the calipers and rotate them to a certain position during the bleeding process(hang then with pieces of rope).There is an area in the front calipers on these bikes that refuses to let go of a bubble!LOL...seriously though...You say You've removed all hardware...calipers too?...take them off,and insert a piece of plywood(to keep the pistons from pushing out all the way),and turn them to a different position from normal(when they're mounted on the forks).Have the bleeder valves at the highest point.
I was at it for DAZE,when I figured this out...same results as You are getting,but I did eventually get it.
Go into the archives and do a search for brake bleeding/front calipers,etc...good luck,Bud.

Post edited by: sandy, at: 2006/03/21 11:31

Post edited by: sandy, at: 2006/03/21 11:33

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• wireman
  • Visitor
21 Mar 2006 08:45 #33063 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Bleeding nightmare
have you tried gravity bleeding the brakes?just put rubber hoses on bleeder vales and let them drip into can or something for a while,just keep mastercylinder full and dont pump brake pedal.;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
21 Mar 2006 12:30 #33097 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Bleeding nightmare
I've been having the same problem myself, so I've been watching this thread today. I'm off to the hardware store for a longer piece of tube, and new screws for the reservoir top. In the archives, there is a mention of cleaning out both little holes in the bottom of the master cylinder reservoir, I will check those too. One hint I can give is to go slowly with the pumping if the top cover is off, as you can get a little spurt of fluid if you release the lever too quickly. Cover as much of the bike as you can with a blanket or tarp so you don't get fluid on your tank or other painted parts. Sound like the voice of experience?:pinch:

More
21 Mar 2006 15:56 #33159 by WTF!
Nevco - I feel your pain.
Its lunchtime here in NZ and I am off to try and bleed these bastards. I have had them elevated for a day now and I hope that the air has leeched out. Good to hear Sandy's comments and I chuckled away since mine are tied up with rope right now..:P
Hopefully I should be in a better mood this evening.

More
22 Mar 2006 03:11 #33304 by WTF!
What a nightmare of an afternoon. Just could not get a pedal free of air.
Decided to start again, stripped the front calipers, replaced the seals, changed the MC, reassembled the whole unit and elevated.
Result: Nothing - worse than the 4hrs of bleeding the other day. Very frustrated and disappointed.

Q: Does anyone know of other brake units that will bolt to the forks of the Z900? Later model Kawasaki would be preferred to keep the heritage.

I have had a gut full of these things and there is an inherent design flaw in the single caliper models.
Also, is 1"11/16th or 1"5/8th piston size the stock build? Somebody has mounted one of each on the front of the bike.

CHEERS! for the replys guys.

More
22 Mar 2006 05:31 #33319 by 900cows
Replied by 900cows on topic Bleeding nightmare
Wireman has it right.I gravity bleed mind the same way.I put a rag up aginst the caliper and tap with a soft hammer.Bubbles do get lodged.

• wireman
  • Visitor
22 Mar 2006 06:34 #33336 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Bleeding nightmare
atlast,all those propaganda leaflets are paying off!:woohoo: goodluck,happy wrenching!