Bleeding nightmare

More
09 Jul 2007 13:47 #155717 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic Bleeding nightmare
Don't know if it would be of any help but.... for the past 30 years or so, when bleeding car brakes, I've used a very simple home made device.

Take a piece of flexible rubber hose 18" long, of the correct diameter to fit tightly over the bleed nipple. Force a 1"+ bolt of a diameter that needs to be about the same as the nipple and force it in one end of the pipe. This blocks the end of the pipe. Cut a small (1") slit/slice in the pipe, along the length of the pipe (NOT across the pipe)through one side of the pipe, using a razor blade, about 2" up the pipe from the bolt end.

Attach the open end of the pipe to the bleed nipple and crack open the nipple, put the "bolt end" of the pipe in 2" of clean fluid in a jam/mayo jar. Pump away. The slit will act as a very simple non-return valve.

Doesn't work well with clear vinyl pipe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2007 14:00 #155721 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Bleeding nightmare
wiredgeorge wrote:

WTF! This comes up regularly when folks bleed what had been a dry system. I have tried all sorts of gizmos and tricks. You really don't need to. Here is what you do... Fill the master cylinder. Remove the bleed valves completely till and keep topping the master cylinder and trust me, fluid will start pouring out. Then, get the bleed valves back in before the master cylinder starts pulling air. Once you have done this, the brakes will bleed right with little air in the lines. I seem to do about 3-5 sets of dry brakes a year and this always works. I also use Russel Speed Bleeders (7mm / short). This allows you to open the bleed valve and you don't have to shut it again as it has a check valve. You just pump and add fluid. When done, you just shut the valves. Denniskirk.com

thats gravity bleeding;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
10 Jul 2007 20:47 #156059 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Bleeding nightmare
Hey guy, I had the exact same problem on my old ass honda.. And i too am a graduate from AMI(now wyotech). These guys gave me the solution, Which was to just let it gravity bleed for hours and hours. What i did was bleed the master first, then the connections. Then hooked up a tube to the nipple and cracked it just a pubic hair. You can see the bubbles start to work out and after a few hours you should be able to get a hard lever. Just remember to keep filling the master.

More
11 Jul 2007 15:57 #156230 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Bleeding nightmare
I open both bleeder valves attach a piece of tubing to each and place this in a jar or can filled with fluid. takes about 5 mins to bleed them.